Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about two of the orders. Confused, rather, why you would use #2 over #1.

From p. 58 of the Scions book (bold added for emphasis):
1) The ordered unit must make a shooting attack. When resolving this shooting attack, all weapons fired by models in the ordered unit have the Twin-linked special rule.
2) The ordered unit must make a shooting attack. When resolving this shooting attack, all models in the ordered unit have the Preferred Enemy special rule.
Why would I want to re-roll 1s instead of 1s and 2s?

The only thing I can think of is that Preferred Enemy would help you in the combat phase as well as the shooting phase. However, the rule says you get Preferred Enemy when resolving the shooting attack. Doesn't say anything about lasting into other phases (such as combat).

Am I crazy and overthinking this? Would the unit get Preferred Enemy for the rest of the turn? I'm inclined to think no, else that would have been specified in the rule. However, if it doesn't last for the rest of the turn, why does it even exist?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well that's uselessly redundant, for sure.

Really though, autonomous in this context reads "acting independently or having the freedom to do so" and they state "the officer sanctions his men to target an enemy of their choosing"....why does that equal Preferred Enemy and not Split fire?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello!

I think it is that Preferred Enemy also benefits "to wound" rolls. So with order #1, you will be re-rolling 1s and 2s To Hit, but you will not have any re-rolls To Wound. However, the second order allows you to re-roll 1s both To Hit and To Wound. It kind of balances them out. Tactics-wise, I would probably prefer to twin-link my guns then have them better all-round (because S3 guns on Scions will generally only wound with more hits, as they will generally need 4s, 5s or 6s to wound). However, some Mathhammerers could prove me wrong...

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello!

I think it is that Preferred Enemy also benefits "to wound" rolls. So with order #1, you will be re-rolling 1s and 2s To Hit, but you will not have any re-rolls To Wound. However, the second order allows you to re-roll 1s both To Hit and To Wound. It kind of balances them out. Tactics-wise, I would probably prefer to twin-link my guns then have them better all-round (because S3 guns on Scions will generally only wound with more hits, as they will generally need 4s, 5s or 6s to wound). However, some Mathhammerers could prove me wrong...
Ah, there we go. I forgot that it applies to wounds completely!

Well, I never claimed to be a genius...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
That's what springs to mind for me--against T4+ enemies, the mathhammer will favor rerolling the larger number of wounds, as I see it, rather than saturating for more hits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts