Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have found so many forums yet no one posts and responds :/
Anyway, here goes!
I al looking at changing my TAU to being majority close combat along with the range aspect. I really dont want to use Kroot so i will get the crisis teams out for that. This is my list so far.

Farsight
+ 6 Bodyguards
3 T/L flamers
3 T/W Burst cannons
6 Shield Generators
6 Stimulant injectors

Shadowsun
+ 2 bodyguards
2 T/L Flamers
2 Shield Generators
2 Stimulant injectors
Command link drone
2 shield drones

x 5 6 man fire warrior teams (No upgrades)

x 2 (Strike fighter
Repair system
disruption pods)

x 2 Sniper team

Hammerhead
+Longstrike
Submission rounds
Disruption pods
Sensor spines
misile system

Opinions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want your Tau to be getting in close, you're gonna have a real bad day. All it takes is one Marine with a chainsword in charging range...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
So, i have found so many forums yet no one posts and responds :/
Anyway, here goes!
I al looking at changing my TAU to being majority close combat along with the range aspect. I really dont want to use Kroot so i will get the crisis teams out for that. This is my list so far.

Farsight
+ 6 Bodyguards
3 T/L flamers
3 T/W Burst cannons
6 Shield Generators
6 Stimulant injectors

Shadowsun
+ 2 bodyguards
2 T/L Flamers
2 Shield Generators
2 Stimulant injectors
Command link drone
2 shield drones

x 5 6 man fire warrior teams (No upgrades)

x 2 (Strike fighter
Repair system
disruption pods)

x 2 Sniper team

Hammerhead
+Longstrike
Submission rounds
Disruption pods
Sensor spines
misile system

Opinions would be appreciated!
FW is your friend. run XV9s and the new Y'Riptide they just released. Even those are based around Hit&Run attacks to get back out of melee.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think you need to think about what you mean by "Close quaters". If you mean melee combat, your are NOT going to be able to pull that off, no Ifsandorbuts, the Tau just can not do melee, even kroot are over cost for what they do.

no, by Close Quarters combat tau I think you mean "move up and rapid-fire them to death' tau, this I think is the actuall canonical Tau tactics, advance rapid firing then when they try to charge you, fall back from them AS you keep rapid firing them. Combined with your networked fire and marker light tricks you can if your lucky and good destroy any thing that charges you, as long as only one enemy unit charges you a turn and even then there only going to chew up one small squad.

. To that end lets look at your list: you small foot squads are nice and I think work well this tactic, if they do get close your going to go 'poof' any way so best to make sure you die on the first turn so you don't risk an enemy unit being in melee during your shooting phase.

I thing the sniper teams are substandard here, I would snag more marker lights since you don't have all THAT much pulse rifle fire and you need a way to really crank that up to make it well and truly scary, on the other hand with smaller squads your not getting as much bang per marker lights, so I would say "play test that first)

I think HQ is a real problem though, your soaking a lot of points into special characters, I think you would be better off when a standard commander, and three two man teams battle suit teams with less tricked out gear and more bodys.

that said this is purely conjecture, I've never played with tau or had a real look though there codex.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts