Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few friends of mine actually like this idea when I put it forward but other than Tau technology seeming to favor what seems to be stock scifi conventions and has the sort of aesthetics you'd think of with future humans I can't think of what sparked the concept other than my writing causing it to pop in there as a bit of character relevant background.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No, it just the art style seems like it was designed by humans because of the fact that the stuff is actually designed by a bunch of british nerds, thank god for them. They did all that jazz on their own. Nice little tidbit though, I like your thinking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What else strikes me is when the Tau are first discovered they're roughly what, stone age? Six thousand years later they have technology that would make the cogboys on mars commit twelve different kinds of heresy to be able to duplicate. Granted six thousand years ago from today WE were at the stone age and look how far w'eve come, but that's also my point. They seem to have gotten help in advancing as fast as they did.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They evolved faster due to the radiation(IDK) on their world and I believe the ethereals helped a bit. They aren't my region of expertise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought hte necrons had the radiatio nissue (which is why they kept getting cancer even when they managed to colonize other worlds.)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It wasn't any sort of natural evolution. You don't "evolve" over 6000 years. It was their incredible technological advance. From wandering plainsmen to Space-faring explorers in a few thousand years.

The Ethereals bound the Tau into a society before they destroyed themselves.

As to the STC idea, I'm not sure.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Then again they were trapped in a warp storm and anyone who has heard CoTE go on one of his "TIME MEANS NOTHING" talks knows that, within the warp, time doesn't mean jack shit. So they could have been in there longer, to them anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aw crap.....

Who/what are these etherials, do they relate to the Old Ones, and does the tau lack of psychers have anythingto do with an attempt at making \a race daemons don'treally care about?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They are some form of blue commie space hippies.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Then again they were trapped in a warp storm and anyone who has heard CoTE go on one of his "TIME MEANS NOTHING" talks knows that, within the warp, time doesn't mean jack shit. So they could have been in there longer, to them anyway.
Except warp storms don't cause you to go into the warp. They're just unnavigable and near-impossible to get messages through. Or anything with the warp, really.

Anywho, the Etherals are Tau (or at least appear to be Tau) that appeared around the end of the 37th millennium. At this time the Tau broken up into many factions and were slaughtering each other. Then the Etherals arrived and brokered peace between all the factions. Uniting them all under the idea of a "Greater Good".

Now they serve as leaders of the Tau and champions of the Greater Good.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Dow 2, the planet was trapped in a warp storm and the planet had aged many more years than it had been gone. Planets cought in a warp storm may just as well be in the maelstrom or the eye. Shot don't work right. You really don't need to be in the warp, just a bleed zone, for shit to go all wonkey.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I don't recall Aurelia being stuck in there any longer than it should have been. After all, there wasn't really there (minus various daemons) to really keep track of time.

It was sealed away for a thousand years, though.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I got the impression that the Tau worlds weren't so much in a warp storm as the space around them was blocked by warp storms, much like Terra and other planets before the great crusade began.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I got the impression that the Tau worlds weren't so much in a warp storm as the space around them was blocked by warp storms, much like Terra and other planets before the great crusade began.
Exactly what I was about to say.

6,000 years isn't that much time considering the race was united to one purpose- humanity has made technological leaps and then forgotten most of this progress throughout our history mostly because we are so divided and combatative. Imagine, though, how far along we'd be if in 4,000 B.C we'd actually united as a race of singular purpose as well, we'd be colonising other planets as we speak I imagine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dow 2, the planet was trapped in a warp storm and the planet had aged many more years than it had been gone. Planets cought in a warp storm may just as well be in the maelstrom or the eye. Shot don't work right. You really don't need to be in the warp, just a bleed zone, for shit to go all wonkey.
I was under the impression that the DoW games were considered non-cannon fluffwise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Plus the Ethereals have been confirmed as a result of eldar meddling, taking Q'orl pheremone-glands and introducing them to tau. You also have to assume, then, if those first ethereals were raised and educated by the eldar to make sure they got the tau on the right path to being a thorn in the side of their future enemies and a willing tool for future manipulation.

Though the eldar probably didn't give them any advanced technology, they no doubt guided their creations from behind the scenes to advance quickly.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Plus the Ethereals have been confirmed as a result of eldar meddling, taking Q'orl pheremone-glands and introducing them to tau. You also have to assume, then, if those first ethereals were raised and educated by the eldar to make sure they got the tau on the right path to being a thorn in the side of their future enemies and a willing tool for future manipulation.

Though the eldar probably didn't give them any advanced technology, they no doubt guided their creations from behind the scenes to advance quickly.
Sauce? I've only seen than in 40k conspiricy threads.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Tau codex has some things in it when it describes the arrival of the Etherials. Strange Lights and sounds came from the hills or some such jazz the night they appeared and figures were saw and then when people took a second glance they had dissapeared. Something like that. And also somewhere It says that there was an eldar raid on some place where they stole some pheremones or something which are now inside etherials. Thats where the thoughts that Eldar involvement came from.

It also quite nicely explains why the Tau advance so quickly. I think it is this and the fact they were organised.

Good idea tho. Nice to see another point of view.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

Yeah that's not been confirmed except by the fans who made it up, which obviously doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts