Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've been reading a bunch of the posts on these forums for quite awhile, but this is my first thread.

This question has to do with a conflict from the Tau 4th edition codex and the new Rulebook. In the Tau Codex it states "Models equipped with stealth field generators count as being in cover if they are assaulted." But in the 5th edition Rulebook, The initiative drop is a result of a difficult terrain test that they took when trying to assault.

The person I play with most is a great friend and this discrepancy was discovered by me early on so we didn't argue about it. Since it was a rule that was out of date we decided what to do on a die roll. Let me know what you think of these.

The options we found were as follows
1. This rule no longer applies and there is no penalty for assaulting a group of stealth suits

2. When declaring an assault on the stealth suits roll a difficult terrain check to see if they are within assault range, and if they are there is no penalty to the attackers initiative.
NOTE: This rule was decided upon since the attacker can see the general area that the enemy resides, but must approach with caution so they don't get surprised by an enemy they can't see.

3. No difficult terrain check is made but the attackers initiative is reduced to 1.

We have made a die roll each time he assaults my Stealth suits. He's a great guy and he sees these as fair rules.

One thing we cannot decide on is whether or not assault Grenades have any influence on stealth suits. Since it says they "count as being in cover if they are assaulted." I believe that the assault grenades negate the cover benefit entirely, but he (Strangely enough) Thinks that since it says "counts as" it means that assault grenades would have no effect on them as it would to those that were in cover.
Naturally we put this up to a die roll as well. He insists that on a 3+ the grenades do nothing and the next die roll decides whether the Counts as being in cover has any meaning in 5th edition.

Could you guys give me some help?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It's one of those rules that falls by the wayside due to changes in the main rules. Falls under this part of the main rules FAQ:

Q. If my Codex includes some options (or other
rules) that seem to have no effect in the new
edition (like the Thornback biomorph, which
makes the model count as double the number of
models for the purposes of outnumbering the
enemy in combat resolution), are you going to
publish an errata to change them to something
else that does work?
A. No, if an option (or a rule) clearly has no
effect, like in the case of the example above, it
simply does nothing. We think it’s simpler to just
leave it until the next edition of the Codex rather
than change its effects through an errata.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have to agree with Don. Being in cover has no affect on assault in the current rules set. Since the rule doesn't require a difficult terrain test to assault, there is gained no benefit fromt hat part of the Stealth Suit rules.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
So just to recap. Any wargear or abilities that have no bearing to the 5th edition, things refer to target priority especially, don't retain that ability or an ability related to it.
Once again thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Masterthesword, want to trade Tau Friends?
Mines an ass who says "Are you really going to penalize me because I play with an older codex?" over this exact issue.
I'll throw in $5?
$10?

Damn.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bah. Friends who are asses are a blessing, dude. If they're dicks and still your friends then it's clearly a friendship that can survive you being a dick back. Social sittuations where everyone can be a douche without anyone getting their feelings hurt are a blessing as long as long as you have the other sort of friends around to offset things.

Just smile, tell him you are and then point out that his codex is also shafting him by making his transports be worth 2 KPs. Pretend to try to mollify him by pointing out how awesome that 1+ troops entry he has is. Smile a lot.

It's an old codex that still does just fine. He can suffer, and if he wants to set his griefing tags to on then I'd just welcome the opportunity. He'll either realize how annoying it is, at which point you'll be able to agree to both cut it out, or you'll realize that whining about one's codex of choice is a time honored 40k tradition that should be properly maintained.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Masterthesword, want to trade Tau Friends?
Mines an ass who says "Are you really going to penalize me because I play with an older codex?" over this exact issue.
I'll throw in $5?
$10?

Damn.
the correct answer is yes :3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts