Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm just making the jump into 6th ed and I've done so with the Tau (been playing Necrons for about a year in 5th and always wanted to do Tau, so started collecting that army before the new codex and such even came out).

Anyway, I wanted to ask my first question about the Jet Pack movement rules (specifically in regards to my XV-8's). In the main rule book it says under the "MOVEMENT" and "THRUST MOVE" sections, "Jet Pack units can move as normal models of their type or activate their jet packs" and "A Jet Pack unit that is not locked in combat or charging can move up to 2d6"" in the Assault phase... When Jet Pack units move in the Assault phase and do not charge, they move just as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase" So, my question is- with the XV-8's, during their movement phase do they only move 6" like normal infantry (is that what they mean by "normal models of their type") if I choose to do their jet pack in the assault phase. Or because it says that they can "activate their jet packs" and "they move as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase", can I move them up to 12" like a jump unit or even 2d6" as it says for jet packs? The last bit is the part that is what makes it a bit confusing for me- where it says they can move just as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase. When my buddy and I played our first Tau vs. SM game on Sunday, I opted to be on the safe side and moved only 6" in Movement phase and then 2d6" in Assault phase, but any clarification would be helpful.

My second questions is (much easier than the first): The Shield Drones profile in the Tau codex gives them a ballistic skill, yet I cannot find a weapon profile or listing/option for them. Do they even have weapons to shoot? And if not, then why do they have a BS rating rather than a "BS -"?

Thanks everyone for any feedback...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey all,

I'm just making the jump into 6th ed and I've done so with the Tau (been playing Necrons for about a year in 5th and always wanted to do Tau, so started collecting that army before the new codex and such even came out).

Anyway, I wanted to ask my first question about the Jet Pack movement rules (specifically in regards to my XV-8's). In the main rule book it says under the "MOVEMENT" and "THRUST MOVE" sections, "Jet Pack units can move as normal models of their type or activate their jet packs" and "A Jet Pack unit that is not locked in combat or charging can move up to 2d6"" in the Assault phase... When Jet Pack units move in the Assault phase and do not charge, they move just as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase" So, my question is- with the XV-8's, during their movement phase do they only move 6" like normal infantry (is that what they mean by "normal models of their type") if I choose to do their jet pack in the assault phase. Or because it says that they can "activate their jet packs" and "they move as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase", can I move them up to 12" like a jump unit or even 2d6" as it says for jet packs? The last bit is the part that is what makes it a bit confusing for me- where it says they can move just as they would when using their jet packs in the Movement phase. When my buddy and I played our first Tau vs. SM game on Sunday, I opted to be on the safe side and moved only 6" in Movement phase and then 2d6" in Assault phase, but any clarification would be helpful.

My second questions is (much easier than the first): The Shield Drones profile in the Tau codex gives them a ballistic skill, yet I cannot find a weapon profile or listing/option for them. Do they even have weapons to shoot? And if not, then why do they have a BS rating rather than a "BS -"?

Thanks everyone for any feedback...
1: I've always assumed it was "6 inch move, then 2d6 thrust." As I don't have experience playing as Tau, I can't give a surefire answer.

2: Shield Drones have no ranged weapon, and thus cannot shoot. They just keep the same stat profile as all the other drones.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
You are infantry for the purposes of moving during the Movement Phase; however, you have the option of using your Jetpack to do so. You get no extra move, but get the benefit of Skyborne. This may or may not be beneficial to you.

However, you get the benefit of Thrust Move's during the Assault Phase if you so wish; which is a 2d6 Move in the assault phase alone; which must use the Skyborne rule.

The typical use for this is called a JSJ; jumping out from terrain shooting, then hopping back into terrain. However Dangerous Terrain can quickly strip wounds off with some poor rolls, so you're going to want to use it to hide behind terrain, move out, shoot, Thrust back into terrain. Without the Warlord trait or the Riptide Generator, your Jet Pack Infantry can do nothing more than JSJ'ing 6" Move, Shoot, 2d6" Thrust Move. (A Warlord Trait allows your commander and his unit to move 3d6 instead during the thrust, while the Riptide allows a +4d6 at the risk of taking a wound).

Many units don't have a range weapon; and yet they have a Ballistic Skill. Think about it this way; ever been to a shooting range? You can shoot your rifle and you get an appreciation of your skill. Take the rifle away, are you worse at shooting? No; the only difference is you have nothing to shoot with. The same applies here. I cannot think of anything at the moment, but there may well be some crazy jazz out there somewhere which gives the unit the ability to shoot something; and that BS is there if such an occasion does occur.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
992 Posts
Edit: Ninja'd by Vaz

The wording is a bit confusing...a Jet Pack has two movement modes.

First: They can move as a normal unit of their type, ie. 6" ground movement for infantry subject to all the rules for their type. So they would roll for difficult terrain could not move past impassible terrain, couldn't move over units, etc.

Second: They can move using their jump packs. This gives them the Skyborne rule, but it does not otherwise change their movement profile. So it would be a 6" move for infantry yet they could move over difficult terrain, enemy units, land on impassible terrain, etc. They would also have to make dangerous terrain tests if they begin or end their movement in difficult terrain.

Basically the unit either walks or flies, but still has the same maximum movement rate.

In Addition to the above the Jet Pack unit can make the 2d6" Assault Phase move if the restricting conditions are met.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unless specifically stated in the codex a Shield Drone could occupy a building and fire an emplaced weapon. The weapon uses the model's BS so they do have a reason to have a BS even without weapons on the model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts