Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/shadowsun.html

This book was released fairly recently, and on this page...
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=8200064-gws

It says this.
it is packed full of exciting information about the Tau race, from battlesuit technology and weapons to Tau physiology and emotions.

I'm just wondering if anyone who's read the book could give some of the important details about said physiology, specifically...
1. Is Shadowsun's Y-slit a trait of all female Tau, or is it unique to her?
2. What does the book mention about the physical differences between male and female Tau?
3. Mostly interested in the different appearances of the sexes, but other things such as "what is the nature of Tau hair" is also relevant.

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I've heard that Xenology is pretty dumb, and shouldn't be considered canon in the slightest.
Then whoever told you that is silly.

On topic: Haven't read the book so can't help you sorry.

·
Registered
638 Posts
3. Mostly interested in the different appearances of the sexes, but other things such as "what is the nature of Tau hair" is also relevant.
From the cover of the book, Shadowsun is obviously a redhead, a trait commonly associated with extremely hot specimens of the female gender for any species. I would expect her to be deadly with either a weapon or a cocktail dress.

Reactions: Winterous

·
Registered
175 Posts
From the cover of the book, Shadowsun is obviously a redhead, a trait commonly associated with extremely hot specimens of the female gender for any species. I would expect her to be deadly with either a weapon or a cocktail dress.
Here's your ground-breakingly accurate explanation, unlike that silly Xenology book. You won't get quality like that in there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
How can she be hot when she doesn't have a soul?
Quite to the contrary, I've known several souless (anecdotally) redheads, and it seems to have little effect on their potentcy or relative body temperature.

Here's your ground-breakingly accurate explanation, unlike that silly Xenology book. You won't get quality like that in there.
You're absolutely right, I should perform a more rigorous scientific study and expand my sample size to ensure statistical validity in my observations. The fluff published by BL can be so lacking in depth and quality at times. :drinks:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Xenology is quite great*, actually, with quite a few groundbreaking revelations about the Tau, the Eldar pantheon, the Hrud, etc.

I haven't read the Shadowsun book, but having talked to somebody who has, it sounds like the physiological aspects of the book are as to the difference between castes. Not that I asked about physiology specifically, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

*ok, the Tyranid genetics segment is utterly laughable, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Doesn't xenology give the tau feet though? (They have hooves). Some of it is great, i like the eldar section but there's some dodgy stuff there too.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
How is xenology not cannon?

@rems: I'd argue having feet is a lot more realistic/less cheesy than hooves especially since it hints that the Eldar play/played a role in their development.

@reaper: the Tau are not blanks. They just have a very tiny warp presence.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@rems: I'd argue having feet is a lot more realistic/less cheesy than hooves especially since it hints that the Eldar play/played a role in their development.
Well it's simply counter to their established fluff, which is one reason why Xenology can't truly be considered canon.

Point is there's no clear answer about whether Tau females have Y or I; supposedly several novels state that humans would have a hard time telling the difference between Tau sexes, implying that they share the same slit.

I haven't read the Shadowsun book, but having talked to somebody who has, it sounds like the physiological aspects of the book are as to the difference between castes. Not that I asked about physiology specifically, so take this with a grain of salt, but...
Well it's something at least, hopefully there's more.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Quite to the contrary, I've known several souless (anecdotally) redheads, and it seems to have little effect on their potentcy or relative body temperature.
I can personally vouch for that.

On topic the book does not give any particular insights to Tau physiology. About the only things they confirm is:

A) Tau do engage in sexual reproduction with life partners.
B) The females give birth and rare the young.
C) A female being naked is some form of taboo. The other blokes all averted their eyes and formed a scum to block anyone's view while Shassa was getting around starkers at one point.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Again why do you say Xenology is not canon? It has the GW/BL stamp on it.

The WH40k IP is rife with inconsistencies which is somewhat understandable.

Though I'd follow a book that focused solely on the physical attributes of various races than a novel which have been the source of contradictions and fluff inconsistencies.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts