Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far this is all i have painted, Just did them a few minuets ago.
Looking for painting advice and critiquing.

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Reactions: bl0203

·
Registered
784 Posts
Look pretty good overall, I really like your choice of colors. The only thing I could add would be to rive the stealth suit a wash in just the recesses to give it some depth. Then finish all the models off with some edge highlights to make them pop and you'll be good to go. But you have a nice start +REP

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
More, thinner layers of paint. You need to thin your paints down, either with water or a medium and apply more than one layer. This will give you better coverage and colours will look smoother and more consistent across surfaces without looking caked on if you thin the paints enough. This is especially important when it comes to flat surfaces; you can get away with it a little bit of splotchiness on crumpled fabrics and flesh. Once you've put a wash in the recesses, you'll need to go back around the edges and carefully apply paint to cover over the mistakes, or get into Oil Washing (Which looks like it's gonna be fairly easy). Going slower often means you'll be done sooner. If you go to fast, you end up making mistakes which you need to correct and by the time you're done you've taken longer than needed.

Well done on taking the time to base your models. :D I would suggest to make the bases a little bit more exciting... A rock here, a skull there. Just to break it up. I'm not sure if you were going for Snow or Ash, but it looks like ash to me because of all the greys. You could have tiny bits of ruined architecture lying around, implying they're in a city which has burned to the ground or something? I dunno, they're you're models.

Of course, highlights. :) Just a lighter colour along the edges at a consistent thickness is all you need. They don't need to be ultra-thin, but try not to make them too beefy. You've got a really good start here and I look forward to seeing more from you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@blo203-Thanks for the Rep man

Thank you all for your support.

Alright now that I got to see what you think just from looking at the pics here is what I did...

Two layers of codex grey is for the main armor bits, Chaos black was watered down and washed all over the model. Reds are blood red followed up with gore red on top.

Hope I can do up my commander suit (Custom made from an XV8 with converted 'Javelin launcher') Tonight and post pics. What I will do different is water down each layer of paint just a touch and see if I cant make it more even that way.

The bases are supposed to be snow. (using the textured snow paint) Thinking I need to paint white over the snow to brighten it up, maybe dry brush in some ice blue to give it a tint?

Thank you guys again for your support and hopefully I will have some more Pics up later tonight. I am off to a Job interview wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Best of luck with the interview. Thinning paints is key. :) I'd advise going from Gore Red to Blood Red, not the other way around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My train of thought with blood red then the gore was to try and dirty up the model, The blood red looked to shiny and the gore red looked more sun bleached. Whats a better way to make the models look old and weather worn?

I like how people are making it look like grease and rust is coming out of areas on the battle suits but i am not sure how to go about that...
Will give it a shot tonight and see what happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

Alright sorry about the long lapse guys, My little sister is such a sweetheart she let a feral cat inside :( I was not aware of this...
I returned to my model desk to find a large ugly cat attempting to swallow my newly painted XV25! I promptly passed my 'look out sir!' roll only to fail my armor save completely :(... that cat had rending let me tell ya...

So I have not got a lot of work done on my cadre sadly as my hands have been being tended to by a rather sexy water caste girl ;)

I did pick up a box of crisis suits and need a good way to base them for posing. I dug through my bits box and found a bunch a old beat up nids, XD now all I need is a good paint scheme to clash with yet blend with my Tau, HELP!

My group army shot is failing to upload so I will update that later.

With any luck I will have an update late tonight as my hands are healing up good and water caste girl went home.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts