Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello my fellow heretics,

I've posted a few "teaser" pics of this in my DC project log, but since it's such a monster of a project, I felt it needed it's own thread (if mods agree that is).

I picked this up from a client who has had it sitting away in storage totes for a little over a year now. He felt it was time to grace the battlefield with it's awesome Tau goodness. I am going to have it completed and based by this Saturday, which is my local GW's Apoc event. I'm pulling a couple all nighters within the following days, and felt it was necessary to include you in the madness :)

Without further adieu, here are some pics of what has been completed so far. Tonight will be an all nighter. It's currently 3:50am. Let's get the show started. More to come within the next few hours.

I'm starting with a nice simple green bath and following that up with a fine grain sand paper. I've already got the massive resin chunks off and have cleaned them up before the bath.

For a size comparison I put one of my shoes next to the beast (size 13)

The last pic is of the 48 seated fire warriors that go inside.

Attachments

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Fire warriors in rows like that make them look uncannily like the battle droids from the star wars prequels.

Keep us posted !

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Figured I would put a quick update on here.

All the piece...including the massive amount of small pieces have been washed, trimmed, and sanded. I've already completed the troop bay and am currently painting/magnetizing the ethereal and the control room, including the crew that goes in it.

Here's a quick pic of the troop bay. I'm placing the fire warriors in it right now.

Drilling and pinning the fuselages and front portion are next on the chopping block.

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here the troop bay is with all 48 fire warrior goodness. More to come soon :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Oooooo this has peaked my interest. Best of luck and thanks for keeping us in the loop!!

Reactions: torealis

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a necessary tool when sanding resin pieces, especially ones this size. If it wasn't for my respirator, I'm sure I'd be coughing up resin dust for weeks.

Safety stuff aside, onto some quick update pics. I haven't gotten around to taking pics of the hull and the progress done there, BUT I do have some pics that I took a few hours ago and I'm going to put them up for your viewing pleasure :)

Thanks for the comments and encouragement...time for another cup of coffee and a cigarette, then back to the madness.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I thought you were just going to tease us with those casual pictures in your other log.."oh yeah btw i'm sort of painting a manta", so i'm really glad to see this :victory:

Everything looks awesome so far, looking forward to seeing some colour on the outside :)

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, yea I thought I'd just casually slip some pics into my other log to get people to double take and say...mother of god...lol

This is the biggest model to date, that I know of anyway other than a full blown titan, that FW makes. It's total wingspan is 3', and it's 2' in length. It weighs in at a whopping 30lbs after paint and build.

Here are some more quick pics. I'm currently drilling and placing my pins into the hull. I'm using wire hangers for my pins...just a fun little fact. I'll be posting the pics of the drilling and pinning process later tonight once I'm finished assembling the body.

The interior is completed for the most part, just need to paint the pilots to a specific theme the client has asked for and that will be that for the interior painting! :)

Here is the completed tank bay. I've included the progress pics leading up to completion. Hope y'all are enjoying the show :)

More to follow within the next few hours.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Wow, awesome look to that interior! The Airbrush has served you well there!

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the lack of pics. I've been working non stop on this beast and have been taking a ton of pics as I go along but haven't taken the time to sit down and post them. I've been up for 3 days straight and it's finally starting to effect my work. I'm going to get some shut eye right now, but will be up at 8am to finish the build and paint of the hull.

Once again, sorry for no pics at the moment, but be prepared for a ton in the morning. Good night heretics. See you bright and early.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Sorry for the lack of pics. I've been working non stop on this beast and have been taking a ton of pics as I go along but haven't taken the time to sit down and post them. I've been up for 3 days straight and it's finally starting to effect my work. I'm going to get some shut eye right now, but will be up at 8am to finish the build and paint of the hull.
Slacker. No sleep 'til it's finished ;)

Can't wait to see the new pics.

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agrees, sleep is a crutch.

Here are some pics that were taken last night before I fell into a short coma. The fuselages are together, and the bottom section where the control is located.....which was a BEEOTCH to get to sit right. After 85 mantas you would think they would have a fairly solid and imperfection free model, especially the larger pieces. I test fitted the nose, troop bay, and ethereal with his platform. All seemed to sit pretty good except for a few spots that needed to be filled. Pretty quick fix though.

I've mounted the wings and the heavy rail gun housings on them. The troop bay exit and ramp were pretty straight forward. Majority of the pieces needed to be warmed and formed back to their original intended shapes, but all and all it was a fairly easy build.

The main problem I am having is the Tank bay installation. There is about an 1/8" gap between the tank bay and the bottom of the nose. I'm not sure if it's just because the tank bay is free floating in there due to the fact that it can be pulled out to access the vehicles that are within it and it's just sitting funny where I'm building, or if it's something more serious and requires a little more sanding...which means I have to take things apart if that's the case -.-

Well I'm prepping for paint right now, I'll be back soon with updated pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts