Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Heretics, so now that Christmas is around the corner, I have asked for some new Tau. I have always been a Tau fan and I couldn't really resist when they got updated this time around:grin:. Since the new Kauyon book is out, I thought I'd go ahead and make up a list that I would use and run it by you guys, to see if it's any good. Without further ado:

Hunter Contingent:

Hunter Cadre

Commander
2x MV1 Gun Drone
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit
Cyclic Ion Blaster, Shield Generator, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Elite

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual, 3x MV1 Gun Drone, 3x MV4 Shield Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
Missile Pod, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'vre
Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Crisis Shas'ui
Flamer, Twin-linked Burst Cannon
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'ui

Fast Attack

Pathfinder Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 6x Pathfinder, Pathfinder Shas'ui, 3x Pathfinder with Ion Rifle

Heavy Support

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
2x MV1 Gun Drone, Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Railgun, Sensor Spines

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
2x MV1 Gun Drone, Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Ion Cannon, Sensor Spines

Troops
Breacher Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster, 2x MV36 Guardian Drone
DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod

Strike Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle, 2x Shield Drones, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Strike Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle, 2x Shield Drones, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Auxiliary

Assigned Air Caste Asset
AX39 Sun Shark Bomber
Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Fighter Ace, Missile Pod, 2x Interceptor Drones

Total: 1987

Commander and Plasma/Missile Suits will hunt down elite targets or tougher foes, Burst Cannon/Flamer Suits's main objective will be to wreak havoc among enemy infantry and alleviate pressure on my Fire Warriors. Pathfinders are mainly there for the Ion Cannons and because they are required for the formation, which their overcharge would come in handy if I am dealing with hordes. The Hammerheads speak themselves, I think and the Sun Shark Bomber's Interceptor Drones are my anti-air defense.

There is one thing that bothers me, though, and that is whether or not I should use the Breachers or another Strike Team. I'm not sure if having only one squad of close-range shotguns are really going to be effective or not. Sure, they could maul something that gets too close or allow me to be a little more aggressive. But the chances that they'll get squashed in combat are probably higher and I would be sacrificing a Strike Team's worth of long range shooting. What do you guys think:scratchhead:?

·
Registered
642 Posts
So I have only had the new book for just over 24hours but since I played competitive tau with the last book I think I am able to contribute and help. You have not said what the lists goal is, so from appearance it is an all comers list. If my assumption is in correct let me know and I will alter my feedback

Hunter Contingent:
So I cannot and I have not seen someone break this yet because some of its special rules are very good. *Cough cascading USR and Sensor suits
Hunter Cadre

Commander
2x MV1 Gun Drone
Cyclic Ion Blaster, Shield Generator, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle
So Twin linked is useless on a BS5 suit. However Cyclic Ion blaster and Plasma rifle is an awesome new suit configuration. I also dont think Shield generators are very good. I would look at Early Warning Overide

Elite

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'vre
Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit
Drop that Iridium armour, waste of points IMO. I would make these Fusion blaster and Plasma Rifles. As you do not have any AP2 and noting to deal with real heavy armour. Shield drones do not do anything, swap for more gun drones or marker drones, add target locks and add a drone controller to your commander

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'ui
Same on the drones. Drop the flamer (You can use markerlights to remove cover saves)(Flamers are only good as dual on lone suits for objective capturing with OS). Go Dual Burst Cannons
Fast Attack

Pathfinder Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 6x Pathfinder, Pathfinder Shas'ui, 3x Pathfinder with Ion Rifle
I am biased here, I have never liked Pathfinders. The best choice in this section of the Hunter contingent has to be Marker drones to add a Mark'O too. For a Pathfinder unit and what I have read, watched and heard about them this is okay

Heavy Support

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
2x MV1 Gun Drone, Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Ion Cannon, Sensor Spines
So you like Hammerheads, me too. They are not great however and they really need markerlights, at the moment you prob do not have enough

Troops
Breacher Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster, 2x MV36 Guardian Drone
DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod

Strike Team

Strike Team
So breachers are brand new so I have no experience with them, they are most likely in a Devilfish (I know you like your armour). Swap Shield for Gun drones again
Auxiliary

Assigned Air Caste Asset
AX39 Sun Shark Bomber
Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod, Fighter Ace, Missile Pod, 2x Interceptor Drones
The cheapest Auxiliary unit outside of drones. Sun Sharks are not very good and if you are having it for AA I think you need to look elsewhere; Optimised Stealth Cadre with Ghostkeels Ionraker and Velocity tracker

Total: 1987
There we go, with a bit more info on what you want your list to do and the environment you play in, I can offer further advice

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, Minigiant, thanks for the feedback! Definitely glad I decided to post this list on Heresy now before I built anything:p. Sorry, I should have mentioned that the list was an all-comers, it's not really tailored to play against a specific faction.

I looked over your suggestions and came up with some alterations to the list.

Hunter Cadre

Command

Commander
2x MV1 Gun Drone
Drone Controller, 2x Missile Pod, Target Lock

Elite

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual, 6x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
Plasma Rifle, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'vre

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual, 6x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
Burst Cannon, Twin-linked Burst Cannon
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis Shas'ui

Fast Attack

Drones
6x MV7 Marker Drone

Drones
6x MV1 Gun Drone

Heavy Support

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
TX7 Hammerhead Gunship

Troops

Breacher Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod

TY7 Devilfish: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines

Strike Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod, Fire Warrior Shas'ui, Pulse Rifle

Strike Team
Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle, MV1 Gun Drone, DS8 Tactical Support Turret, Missile Pod, Fire Warrior Shas'ui, Pulse Rifle

Auxiliary
Optimized Stealth Cadre

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
Ghostkeel Shas'vre: Cyclic Ion Raker, Twin-linked Burst Cannon, Velocity Tracker

Total: 1999

·
Registered
642 Posts
So I will go through it closer tomorrow when I have a bit more time but a few things, these will be short and sweet. Maybe give the army list I posted a read, I go through the reasons why I chose stuff etc, maybe able to pick up a trick or two

1. Commander: Go to Dual Missile pods, Drone controller and target lock. Then put him in a unit of drones

2. Go 6 Gun drones in the crisis teams (Never a reason to choose multiple types of drones), swapping 1 flamer for a drone controller

3. If anything go T-L Fusion>Plasma

4. Ionraker over Fusion collider, blast weapons cant hit aircraft ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts