Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a Tau army and one of my Battle suits have two missile pods. Now my gut tells me that these two weapons must be twin linked but I remember an old thread I read here that said that they didn't have to be twin linked! is that true or does taking two of the same weapons always mean twin linked?

Note: I've looked for said thread and can't find it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It counts as Twin Linked sadly :(. Frankly, it's generally not worth taking.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Two of the same always counts as Twin Linked.
I wouldn't say they are 'not worth taking' but i will say that you have to becareful to use them properly and not sacrifice any higher Strength/AP weapons for them.
The mainstay of them should be Fusion or Plasma based platforms
Only take one XV8 with Missile Pods for every three or so XV8's with Fusion/Plasma.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Two of the same always counts as Twin Linked.
Half right.
ONLY TWO of the same battlesuit weapons count as twin linked for the Tau.
Two of the same weapons do not necessarily count as twin-linked elsewhere.

Certain Tyranid weapon symbiotes and the Eldar Wraithlord heavy weapons also do this, but other units/weapon combos do not.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
in my Tau force (the non-existant force that only exists in my mind) i would use 1 3 man un it with Twin-missile pod and Targettign array (and a Shield drone too). As Twin linked weapons go the Missile pod is a better one that others and also cheapish.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't the twin-linked weapons on the Tau battlesuits actually count as two weapons for the purposes of firing them, i.e. you then need to buy the wargear that allows you to fire both weapons a turn before you can fire either?
No, because the rules for twin-linked weapon systems mean you treat it as a single weapon rather than two. You would need the multi-tracker if you wanted to buy and fire a "third" weapon as well, however.

I'd also like to say twin-link flamers are hell on wheels against horde armies, so try and make your battlesuits modular. The weapons on mine pop on and off, and I didn't have to make any modifications to the models to do so. Arm your suits appropriately for the current theatre of war, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
If memory serves, with a hard wired multi-tracker you can fire all your weapons on a battlesuit. The thing is that most of the time a suit will only have one or two weapon types on it, because beyond that you are simply trying to have the suit cover to many bases.

Personally though, I rather like taking a pair of deathrains with my forces. Pair of missile launchers, targeting arrays, and one suit armed with a target locks makes me hard pressed to miss my targets even if it might be a bit overkill. (Per suit, you pay the price of a firewarrior to boost the hit probability from about 75% to 89%; about a point for point thing right there.)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Half right.
ONLY TWO of the same battlesuit weapons count as twin linked for the Tau.
Two of the same weapons do not necessarily count as twin-linked elsewhere.

Certain Tyranid weapon symbiotes and the Eldar Wraithlord heavy weapons also do this, but other units/weapon combos do not.
I meant for the Tau XV8's... Seen as that is who we were talking about...:shok:

SGMAlice

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Suits can take 3 (no more or less) Weapons and/or support systems. You cna take guns if you like but i wouldn't advice it. When you take a Twin likened weapon it counts as 2 of your 3 choices. so if i take a Twin flamer and a Targeting Array then thats my 3 weapons/systems limit reached. It is only the armourey section that isn't limited such as the Hardwired stuff and other things like the Stimulant Injector but you need to have acces to it inoder to take stuff from that last colum (Bodyguars, Commanders, Stelath suit team leaders and Team Leaders of normal Battle suits and Broadsides all can take them)

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have read from the Tau Codex and many FAQ's, You CAN either take 2 weapons as seperate weapons, or take a TWIN LINKED WEAPON and the same NON-TWIN LINKED weapon of the same choice.

Example: XV8 has twin linked plasma rifles, and has another plasma rifle. OR
XV8 has 3 plasma rifles but really can only fire two weapon systems at a time (meaning only 2 of the 3 plasma rifles fire). So taking a TWIN LINKED system and then taking another one Can be a good idea. (mean u fire the twin linked weapon, roll for misses, and then fire the NON twin linked one. Counting as only shot 2 weapons in the shooting phase.):mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Dear God. Of course the information is wrong in a thread 3 years old. They're talking about the last codex.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.