Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know i don't play Tau but my firend who i play agianst alot does(it's his only army where i have Marine, Eldar an Nid :biggrin:) Anyway we have read it a few times and i'm startign to wonder if we have made a mess up with the Battle suit upgrades. so here are my 2 questions.

1 - A fusion blast for example has 2 costs 12pts and 18pts. We belived that it cost 12pts to take one and then another 18pts(30pts in total) to make it twin linked. was this right or do you jsut pay 18pts to take a twin linked fusion blaster?

2 - The the first question doesn not apply(meaning you have to pay both points) does taking both count as 2 wepaons for the use of the required 3 options needed to be on a suit?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so even tho he only has to pay 18pts now(he will be happy) it will still take up 2 choices? Just confuming as he only runs a twin Fusiongun and Missile pods(the S7 one) on one of his suit units.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch for the help and i shall let him knwo we have been doing it wrong for aobut 6 months (Then agian he was using the old codex Markerlights for so long without realising it too so i quess we are now even.)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Also remember that having both a twin-linked weapon and another makes it so that the suit cannot fire both in the same phase.

·
It looked great on paper.
255 Posts
Also remember that having both a twin-linked weapon and another makes it so that the suit cannot fire both in the same phase.
Unless it's the team leader or a Shas'el/'O, they can take a HWMT.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how come they can only shoot one? I asume it's becuase it's still a troop and can only use 1 weapon per turn but i have seen alot of people use both suit weapons. I asumed that the suits allowed them to use 2 wepaons per turn.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Only if one slot is used for a Multi Tracker. Or, of the model has access to suit wargear (team leader or Shas'O) then they can get a Hard-wired Multi tracker, which doesn't take up a slot. Thus they can have 3 weapons and fire two.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brill. Thanks for the help and i will relay the message to my friend(He might need to re-write his list)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re-booting this old thread to ask another question realted to Tau Battle Suits. I got the codex my self todya and while writing a proxy list for my mate to try i started thinkign too much(my perant warned me about that thinking thing) and i wondered how many battsuit option can a normal suit take. At first i tohught it was a Minimum of 3 but the more i look at it the more i think that is also a max too. Also whats the point of hardwired multi-trakers on suits? The normal on costs that same and doe sthe same thing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hard-wired means it doesn't take up any slots. And 3 is the max amount of options.

·
Registered
444 Posts
All XV8 battlesuits (standard Crisis) have to take 3 battlesuit "upgrades". They can be any combination of weapons or support systems.
For example
1 plasma rifle, 1 missile pod, and 1 multi-tracker lets your suit fire both weapons thanks to the multi-tracker.

1 TL Plasma Rifle (2 slots) and a Missile pod allows the suit to fire one or the other as they do not have a multi-tracker.

1 TL missile pod and a Target Lock allows the suit to shoot the missiles at a different target other than the one the rest of the squad is firing at.

Now each of these situations are assuming that these are standard elite suits. Your commander also gets access to the special gear such as the hardwired stuff.
So a Commander can have 1 Plasma Rifle, 1 Missile Pod, 1 Fusion Blaster, HW Multi-tracker, and a HW Target Lock. This would give your commander 3 weapons to choose from, the Multi-tracker is hardwired and does not count agains the suit limit and allows you to shoot 2 weapons with the target lock allowing a different target to be chosen than the squad they have joined.

So a XV8 suit has to fill all 3 slots
an XV88(Broadside) only has a single slot that must be filled
the Stealthsuits has only a single slot that can be filled but does not have to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts