Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are the Tau related to the Necrontyr? Think symbols and how fast the tau advanced also the first battle with necrons was commander Farsight and he betrayed the tau. I hear they are related any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
there really isn't enough information on the tau to be able to say. Gotta hate GW for keeping the new guys all mysterious.

·
Registered
599 Posts
any one read rise of the tau by reverant?

·
Banned
280 Posts
Yep, I although it was decently written, I found it more or less unfaithful to the fluff really.

That and it kept throwing so many "AND THEN!!!11!!1!!!1" situations out there to advance the plot it made ones self ill really. I mean, first you've got the Tau going nuts, THEN them taking over Orks, THEN controlling Nids, THEN reliable long range travel, THEN having the resources to take on the Imperium, THEN fixing up an otherwise dead for the purposes of the game Primarch, THEN brainwashing him to fight against the Imperium....

See what I mean? And that's just the short list...

(You might be able to tell I'm not a Riley fan at all)

·
Registered
414 Posts
i would doubt they are related, their glyphs and stuff look quite different. and the necrontyr had short life spans, the tau dont (i think).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually it is consitantly written in the Tau fluff that they are the shortest lived current race, and that 60 is an unheard of age for Tau. So maybe the Tau are the Nocrontyr reborn?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've always assumed that the Tau are the race that the Necrons "seeded." The Necrons are looking to seal off the Warp, and the Tau are almost invisible in the warp. Their just about perfect for the 'crons in that regard.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yep, I although it was decently written, I found it more or less unfaithful to the fluff really.

That and it kept throwing so many "AND THEN!!!11!!1!!!1" situations out there to advance the plot it made ones self ill really. I mean, first you've got the Tau going nuts, THEN them taking over Orks, THEN controlling Nids, THEN reliable long range travel, THEN having the resources to take on the Imperium, THEN fixing up an otherwise dead for the purposes of the game Primarch, THEN brainwashing him to fight against the Imperium....

See what I mean? And that's just the short list...

(You might be able to tell I'm not a Riley fan at all)
whatever you're talking about seems like the biggest piece of @##$ing @@#@ I have ever heard!!!! Whoever wrote that story might as well write a story about the eldar throwing a massive dance party, THEN "reproducing" with all the necrons, THEN the guardsmen invent a USEFUL lasgun, THEN the nids all dropping dead because a tau sneezed on them!:angry::angry::angry:

·
Banned
280 Posts
i would doubt they are related, their glyphs and stuff look quite different. and the necrontyr had short life spans, the tau dont (i think).
Actually it is consitantly written in the Tau fluff that they are the shortest lived current race, and that 60 is an unheard of age for Tau. So maybe the Tau are the Nocrontyr reborn?
There's a difference though, the Necrontyr died at an early age due to the proximity of their star, made them sickly kept giving them stuff like cancer IIRC. That's what fueled their hate for the Old Ones I think, that they could live long (immortal perhaps) and healthy lives unnaffected like that.

Tau on the other hand just live to be about 60 human years.

I would also strongly doubt the Necrontyr would be reborn, as they were all turned into Necrons (and those that refused were probably killed). Why would the C'Tan make new Necrontyr when they'd just eat them anyway? Why not just make some new Necrons? A plausible explanation could be that the C'Tan created the Tau as an attempt to breed an entire Pariah race, but I think that's strongly debunked by the fact that they were protected by a freak warpstorm when they were young, something the C'Tan can't do. Not to mention the question as to why the project seems to have been more or less left unattended, and that they'd let the Imperium come that close to crushing the Tau in the first place.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have not heard this theory, but it sounds interesting they did invent living metal to protect their bodies from their star and the tau are also weak bodied they also have bad eyesight maybe derived from ancestors that already had bad eyesight again from being too close to a star. Overall i dont think i would like that very much since, i dont really like the tau. mainly bc "assault move", "fish of fury" and "my rail gun hits you doesn't matter if there's 200 billion inches of terrain in the way and by the way no you cant penetrate my tank bc i'm a gypsie and i use gypsie magick on you":biggrin:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I think its very unlikely, it just doesn't fit with the images of the two races. Although having said that I do like the idea that somebody at GW game with about Farsight being influenced by the Necrons. But thats just really from the modelling point of veiw.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd believe it.

Fluff wise the necronder engaged in a war with the old ones who had access to vast phychic powers and could travel the stars and possibly create a warp storm. The Ctan where given much power over the necronder to defeat them.
There are similarties and both races are tech heavy.

Also for the rise of the tau storie...it is good and it takes a lot for granted simply as a plot device. I would recomend it to read, but i would also read his work on the Emperors finest.

·
Banned
280 Posts
I have not heard this theory, but it sounds interesting they did invent living metal to protect their bodies from their star and the tau are also weak bodied they also have bad eyesight maybe derived from ancestors that already had bad eyesight again from being too close to a star. Overall i dont think i would like that very much since, i dont really like the tau. mainly bc "assault move", "fish of fury" and "my rail gun hits you doesn't matter if there's 200 billion inches of terrain in the way and by the way no you cant penetrate my tank bc i'm a gypsie and i use gypsie magick on you":biggrin:
Here's a link to a detailed version of the Necrontyr background.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Necrontyr

I'd believe it.

Fluff wise the necronder engaged in a war with the old ones who had access to vast phychic powers and could travel the stars and possibly create a warp storm. The Ctan where given much power over the necronder to defeat them.
There are similarties and both races are tech heavy.
I'd say a warp storm would be well within the capabilities of the Old Ones, when you consider the fact that Orks Weirdboyz summon warp storms on a semi regular basis when it's Krumpin' Time!TM.

Also for the rise of the tau storie...it is good and it takes a lot for granted simply as a plot device. I would recomend it to read, but i would also read his work on the Emperors finest.
I did read it, and was not impressed by it at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a link to a detailed version of the Necrontyr background.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Necrontyr QUOTE]

i'm not trying to be a smartass but, just trying to explain since you put me on the spot here.

- if your trying to say i dont know what i'm talking about. I'll explain myself a little better. The reason why they invented living metal was because they were afraid of their star being unstable. *When a star becomes unstable it usually grows into incredible proportions and blows up into a supernova*- this is not stated in the codex excerpt but common knowledge. Since this star is getting bigger there fore creating an unsuitable environment making their lives incredibly short. Drastically looking for an answer and discovering living metal they also discovered the star gods in which they were decieved into eternal slavery becoming necrons, which is when it becomes hard for the tau to be a descendant since this happened so long ago. the old ones in which the necrons waged war against are even older then fantasy story line. I'm not sure how old the tau are though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't think the tau are allied with the necrons. However, it is not unthinkable that if the Tau are starting to lose the battle against the other races, they might make the same mistake that the necrontyr did and pledge servitude to the C'tan; becoming necrons themselves.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have an idea. 3 quarters of the necrontyr went with the c'tans and got turned in necrons, but the other quarter didn't like the idea and scarpered. It says that the Necrontyr were very technologically advanced, and so are the tau. But still, what do we know? There aren't any confirmed links between the tau and necrontyr.

·
Banned
280 Posts
i'm not trying to be a smartass but, just trying to explain since you put me on the spot here.

- if your trying to say i dont know what i'm talking about. I'll explain myself a little better. The reason why they invented living metal was because they were afraid of their star being unstable. *When a star becomes unstable it usually grows into incredible proportions and blows up into a supernova*- this is not stated in the codex excerpt but common knowledge. Since this star is getting bigger there fore creating an unsuitable environment making their lives incredibly short. Drastically looking for an answer and discovering living metal they also discovered the star gods in which they were decieved into eternal slavery becoming necrons, which is when it becomes hard for the tau to be a descendant since this happened so long ago. the old ones in which the necrons waged war against are even older then fantasy story line. I'm not sure how old the tau are though.
Er, well you said you didn't know about it so I was just giving you a link so your could read about it? :scratchhead:

I have an idea. 3 quarters of the necrontyr went with the c'tans and got turned in necrons, but the other quarter didn't like the idea and scarpered. It says that the Necrontyr were very technologically advanced, and so are the tau. But still, what do we know? There aren't any confirmed links between the tau and necrontyr.
Remember, when the Tau were first found by the Imperials they were tribal barbarians with pre-gunpowder tech levels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts