Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play tau, one of my buddies plays Chaos Marines affiliated with Nurgle. Last night, i destroyed his rhino with a squad of 3 broadsides, causing his marines to be forced to disembark. however, he said that i could not target them because they had disebarked that turn. I still had multiple shots left from that squad of broadsides, could i have fired on the marines? i was looking through the rules, and according to 5th edition you may assault the occupants of a transport you destroyed, as long as your unit is allowed to assault after shooting. However, nothing is mentioned about shooting them. any ideas? i checked google, and i guess no one has ever wondered if you are allowed to target the troops from a destroyed transport with that same squad.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
A units firing is all done simultaneously. So if you have a unit of Broadsides and they take a dislike to a rhino, they all fire at the Rhino at the same time. So you cannot target the unit that falls out of the Rhino with the same squad because the target for their shooting has already been chosen.

Obviously a different squad could fire at the guys who fell out of the transport.

Aramoro

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
As Aramoro said, all of your shots occur at the same time; so even though the first shot(s) of the unit were enough to take the vehicle out, the shots from the rest of the unit have been spent. Its like most overkill, you might have other viable targets but if you wind up using more energy or power than needed for one, the rest does not get to spill over to another target.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Clearly written in the main rule book, pg 67:

"Note: Remember that all models in a single unit fire simultaneously, so a squad cannot take out a transport with it's lascannon and then mow down the occupants with their bolters. However, if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assualt the now disembarked passengers....."

·
Registered
124 Posts
This situation should really never come up. Having extra shots after a vehicle is destroyed would be a sign that attacks were rolled for incorrectly. All to hit rolls are rolled, then any hits would be rolled for armor pen. After any applicable cover saves all rolls are made on the damage charts.

Most the time this won't make a difference, but in this case the next shots could have caused the rhino to explode instead.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
What about if the broadsides have a target lock meaning they can target another squad?

Does that mean they can target the squad after the rhino has been blown to smithereens?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
No. There is no way that one squad may ever target both a rhino and the squad that disembarks due to fire. Ever. Period. Target lock allows you to designate two targets at the time of simultaneous fire. You seem to have missed that point.

1) Declare ALL fire. (i.e. I will fire broadside 1 and 2 at the rhino, and broadside 3 at the visible land raider)

2) Roll all hits. You can, for convenience, roll this however you want in whatever order, but all fire happens at exactly the same time. So you roll the two shots at the rhino, and the one at the land raider. All three hit. Then you roll for penetration for all three. You get 2 pens on the rhino, and none on the land raider. The rhino gets a 5 and a 3 result. It is wrecked, the guys tumble out. The entire broadside squad has already declared and fired all it's shots, there can never be any "re-targeting". It is done. Just because you may choose to roll the first shot against the rhino separate from the second, does not mean it "Fired first"

·
Registered
467 Posts
I thought all your units shot at the same time during the shooting phase.
No only models in one unit fire at the same time. So you can destroy with one unit the transport and target with another unit the disemarked passengers.

But if one unit shots the rhino and doesn't destroy it and than a second unit destroys the rhino with a shooting attack, can the first unit assault the disembarked passangers. From the rule it is not clear whether only the unit which actually destroyed the transport is allowed to assault the passangers or all units which targeted the rhino before.

b.anthracis

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
But if one unit shots the rhino and doesn't destroy it and than a second unit destroys the rhino with a shooting attack, can the first unit assault the disembarked passangers. From the rule it is not clear whether only the unit which actually destroyed the transport is allowed to assault the passangers or all units which targeted the rhino before.

b.anthracis
That's a whole 'nuther debate, and there are probably one or two threads on it if you run a search.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts