Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never, EVER considered IG before. Until people started mentioning the Steel Host. Then I had to do some research.

Primary Detachment - Steel Host Formation

Command Executioner - Plasma Sponsons, Tank Commander, Hull Heavy Bolter
Executioner x2, Plasma Sponsons x2, Hull Heavy Bolters x2

LR Squadron - Battle Tank x2, Pintle Heavy Stubber x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

LR Squadron - Exterminator x2, Heavy Bolter Sponsons x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

LR Squadron - Vanquisher x2, Hull Lascannon x2, Hull Heavy Bolter x2

Hydra - Armored Crew Compartment

Stormwing Formation

Stormraven Gunship - Lascannon, Multimelta

Stormtalon Gunship - Skyhammer Missiles

Stormtalon Gunship - Skyhammer Missiles

2000/2000

It's just silly!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it should do pretty well, also. The Command squad has preferred Enemy so it shouldn't suffer Gets Hot very often. Then there's a Dakka squad of autocannons and heavy bolters, a Battle Cannon squad for pie plates, and a heavy armor squad of Lascannon/Vanquishers.

Then the Stormwing offers a bit of all around support, with more autocannons (sorry, Skyhammers), assault cannons, and more anti-tank in the Stormraven.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Command squad has preferred Enemy so it shouldn't suffer Gets Hot very often.
I got off around two dozen plasma shots without even needing a re-roll last game, game before I almost wrecked my own tank even with Preferred Enemy. Stupid dice...

Is this the entirety of the rules for the Steel Host Formation?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got off around two dozen plasma shots without even needing a re-roll last game, game before I almost wrecked my own tank even with Preferred Enemy. Stupid dice...

Is this the entirety of the rules for the Steel Host Formation?

Yep, as far as I've seen, that's the entire thing.

That, and the awesome factor because, as a formation, there's no pesky squishies I have to add as a tax.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That, and the awesome factor because, as a formation, there's no pesky squishies I have to add as a tax.
Dude, just wait until this whole Decurion thing hits the Guard. I anticipate that cherry picking units will never have been easier!

As for the squishies, my Vets win me games. I'd be more annoyed about the Hydra tax for this Formation as that tank is possibly the biggest let down in the current Codex for not having Interceptor.

Now that I'm thinking of it, bunching your tanks up to make the most of the Formation's special rule can be a double edged sword. It leaves you open to blast templates from the enemy, and can give you trouble if combat units make it in close as they can disorderly charge several tanks and wreck the crap out of them (not to mention tank squads that get charged often get absolutely ruined thanks to being in a squad). I had an instance in my last game where the Orks I was facing were in too close for me to even try using my blast weapons.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, just wait until this whole Decurion thing hits the Guard. I anticipate that cherry picking units will never have been easier!

As for the squishies, my Vets win me games. I'd be more annoyed about the Hydra tax for this Formation as that tank is possibly the biggest let down in the current Codex for not having Interceptor.

Now that I'm thinking of it, bunching your tanks up to make the most of the Formation's special rule can be a double edged sword. It leaves you open to blast templates from the enemy, and can give you trouble if combat units make it in close as they can disorderly charge several tanks and wreck the crap out of them (not to mention tank squads that get charged often get absolutely ruined thanks to being in a squad). I had an instance in my last game where the Orks I was facing were in too close for me to even try using my blast weapons.
Didn't guard get 7E? Or were they the last 6E codex? We'd have to wait for an 8E codex for them possibly for a Super Formation, like BA or GKs.

I have nothing against Vets. I just like the idea of a fully armored company. If I could find a list that let me go all Dreadnoughts, I probably would try that (btw, there is actually. Space Wolves can do it).

The Formation rules for tanks are 4" coherency, right? that's enough space to avoid double-tapping with most blasts, and 12" bubbles means I don't have to form up TOO much for the preferred. it's guaranteed for the command squad, however (which is why all the plasma was together there).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Didn't guard get 7E? Or were they the last 6E codex? We'd have to wait for an 8E codex for them possibly for a Super Formation, like BA or GKs.
GK, BA, Orks, and SW all got 7th ed. Codices without Decurion stuff. That started with 'Crons, the last army to be updated from 5th.

The Formation rules for tanks are 4" coherency, right? that's enough space to avoid double-tapping with most blasts, and 12" bubbles means I don't have to form up TOO much for the preferred. it's guaranteed for the command squad, however (which is why all the plasma was together there).
I hear ya on that, it was more of a word of caution rather than a convincing argument against it. I've had vehicle squadrons ruined when CC units get too close, and fast to boot.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I hear ya on that, it was more of a word of caution rather than a convincing argument against it. I've had vehicle squadrons ruined when CC units get too close, and fast to boot.
Or even terminators deep striking to the rear. Curse your Achilles heel Leman Russ!

that 12" bubble that Xabre mentioned is actually a 12" radius bubble, so look more at this being a full 2 feet of preferred enemy for your formation.

Also, didn't the skyfire - interceptor stack end last edition? Or are you just bemoaning the turn 2 strafing run targeting the hydra and leaving the rest of the tanks exposed?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or even terminators deep striking to the rear. Curse your Achilles heel Leman Russ!

that 12" bubble that Xabre mentioned is actually a 12" radius bubble, so look more at this being a full 2 feet of preferred enemy for your formation.

Also, didn't the skyfire - interceptor stack end last edition? Or are you just bemoaning the turn 2 strafing run targeting the hydra and leaving the rest of the tanks exposed?
Well, in this list I could least expect my own airforce to come out and crush any fliers that eat my Hydra.

Maybe a better option would be to fit in a Knight Crusader? Icarus for anti-air, another Battle Cannon because i can, and the Avenger to just throw out lots of dice. Plus Stomp for those pesky terminators.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
All day, every day. My favourite Knight.
Oh really? The Knight Errant really does it for me, because he is all about getting nice and close.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fairly easy. I use some BIG magnets, and they're strong enoguh that I fight them every time I swap out the arms. Instead of using the 'cuffs' at the arms that let them swivel, that's where I put my magnets. It's a little tricky for the Battle Cannon and the Melta, because they use the same general gun casing, with different shield/barrel, so you need to magnetize the shield to the front of the gun, and settle on having a melta with a shell vent, or a battle cannon with fuel tanks.

Otherwise, every weapon arm is magnetizable. You have to pick one of the two missile options for the carapace.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Instead of using the 'cuffs' at the arms that let them swivel, that's where I put my magnets.
That's where I was thinking of doing it as well, but I have yet to build (er...own) the kit so I have no real idea what the final execution would look like. I'd be tempted to do an o-ring and ball magnet somehow so the arm can still swivel a bit, either the magnets will need to be hidden under some GS or they'll just look like robot bits.

settle on having a melta with a shell vent, or a battle cannon with fuel tanks.
hmmm....I've been looking at closeup pictures of them from the GW site and I think I have this figured out, though it will likely take as much time as putting the model together. Only thing I don't think I could do is make it so the back of the battle cannon is still open for recoil. I just had thought: are those hoses wide enough to house a small magnet? Alternately I could just put metal in the ends and magnets at the points where the hose joins back to the gun.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I'd be tempted to do an o-ring and ball magnet somehow so the arm can still swivel a bit
Dude, read through @Blackadder 's Chaos Warhound project log for good large scale magnetising tips. He uses a melon baller to get a CV joint going!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Dude, read through @Blackadder 's Chaos Warhound project log for good large scale magnetising tips. He uses a melon baller to get a CV joint going!
Thanks for the mention although is seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Coincidentally I'll be resuming my Chaos Warhound log pretty soon so watch for an update.....:good:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.