Battle Tank w/ H bolter x1

Leman Russ Squadron 470pts
Demolisher w/ H bolter x1

Troops
Veteran Squad with forward sentries 70pts

Veteran Squad with forward sentries 70pts

All Russ's start out on the table and the Vet's are in reserve for as long as possible till they come on the table to claim objectives and or hide for their lives.

Each squadron has the rear armor 11 tank lead to take the assaults that will come and you just see if you can remove your opponent from the table.

Any thoughts good or bad is fine, I thought this might be interesting to run even if it may be a bit over the line on the mean side.

Lein

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
First and foremost in my mind: is it worth maintaining a Battle Forged army in this instance? Objective Secured is a nice buff when you have a ton of Troops (with Dedicated Transports) but in this instance it looks more like it's stopping you from having another tank. If you dropped those two squads and your second Tank Commander you could likely get a bit more flex out of this list. For example, I would run squads of two tanks as opposed to three for more shooting flexibility. Sure, your TC can order Split Fire which is great for them, but with the mismatch in range and tactical application that you have with your three tank squads you're likely going to end up 'wasting' shots in a army that has no time for that. You could leave your HQ the way it is, then play doubles squads as such:

2x Punishers
2x Eradicators
2x Demolishers
2x Battle Tanks
2x Battle Tanks

Which I think would give you massively more tactical flexibility in the Shooting Phase (which is your only Phase aside from Movement). Dropping the Vets and the second Commander nets you 170 I think, got a Manticore to hide somewhere?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with unbound is that most players wont play it in a pick up game. This is a bit lopsided when it comes to battle forged, but it is legal and a lot less likely to be turned down in my area.

The main purpose for the mix match units in the squadrons is to have a Russ with rear armor 11 in the lead, this is to force my opponent to split up his forces to get around the sides where I can focus on the more immediate threats and take them apart.

more thoughts later...
Lein

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Oh, well that's pretty lame. People shouldn't be so scared to play the game.

The main purpose for the mix match units in the squadrons is to have a Russ with rear armor 11 in the lead
With three tanks you have a pretty large footprint and the turrets turn quite well, couldn't you just angle your flanking tanks outward to create massive semi-circles of AV14 with just a narrow view of the rear armour directly behind? I can draw a picture in paint if that description fails at making sense.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't get the mix squadron, yes your logic about getting a rear AV11 tank up front does make some degree of sense, but those tanks have that extra point of rear armor because there guns are short ranged so if you stick to the max range of the rest of your squadron, that one tank has nothing to shoot at and is a ineffective use of the points.

I will say this: you did a good job in making sure that the tanks want to be shooting at the same thing, the Punishers and Exterminator both love shooting at infantry for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts