Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Gaunt's Ghost series the Tanith First and Only hails from the planet of Tanith. Many times they make remarks about having no home world, or how it's gone. Yet in the second novel the assault on Tanith consists of an orbital bombardment followed by an invasion. How exactly does this make the planet completely and forever lost. Shouldn't the attitude be that "one day we will return and reclaim our homeland" rather than "it's gone, get over it". You'd think Gaunt, and his senior officers would be constantly lobbying for a reconquest. I mean it's not Aldaraan, the only problem I can think of is that the various orbital bombardments kicked up enough dust and particles to block out the sun and kill all the plant life. Does anyone know the details that make Tanith completely uninhabitable?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
During the first tanith mustering a chaos fleet attacked Tanith and Gaunt could only get who became the Tanith first and only out, their homeworld was bombed into oblivion and Gaunt was forever haunted by the fact that he could not save a world he had come to repsect. the Ghosts had no home, basically whereever they laid thier camo cloaks for the duration of thier wars was thier homes. Tanith really did go alderan as far as i can recall

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, Tanith is nothing like Aldaraan. That planet is gone, there is nothing but pieces of it floating in the same general area. I wouldn't question why Leia would say her home world doesn't exist. Tanith is a different matter. Assuming the bombardment was extensive what happened there reminds me more of Narn. For those of you not familiar with Babylon 5, shame on you, Narn was the home world of an alien race. It fell to the Centauri (another group of aliens) after they used these devices to hurl asteroids at the planet. Narn is then devastated and under Centauri rule. G'kar, a prominent Narn in the show, continues to plot the removal of the Centauri and tries to drum up support from various foreign governments. See Tanith is still there. A little worse for wear and overrun with bad guys, but still there. I'd imagine the Ghost's attitude to be more reminiscent of G'kars. There homeland is under occupation but one day they will return. They just need the support of the Imperium's military. The Imperium doesn't consider Tanith a priority so they keep holding off an attack. That's not the attitude instead it's "there is no going back, it's a done deal". Why is this the case? Was the devastation more severe, like something along the lines of nuclear winter?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Probably because the only way to cleanse it of chaos taint at that point would be to Death Star it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
In "Straight Silver", a trooper, Gutes, talks about watching Tanith die from his troopship.

"The Mantle Splitting. The oceans evaportating. The continents sliding into each other and disintegrating. The great nalwood forests licking into cinders in a wall of heat. The core, cut loose, erupting and boiling out into the vacuum."

So, basically they managed to vaporize the crust and mantle. There's not much to go home to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In "Straight Silver", a trooper, Gutes, talks about watching Tanith die from his troopship.

"The Mantle Splitting. The oceans evaportating. The continents sliding into each other and disintegrating. The great nalwood forests licking into cinders in a wall of heat. The core, cut loose, erupting and boiling out into the vacuum."

So, basically they managed to vaporize the crust and mantle. There's not much to go home to.

There we go, that's what I'm talking about. I just wanted to know how extensive the damage was, and from that description it sounds cataclysmic. Question answered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts