Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my taloned horror model, its was my first real attempt at sculpting half a tyranid.



Apocalypse has really caught my imagination and I really want my hive fleet to keep growing. No force restrictions means I can have several winged tyrants, so i thought I'd turn the taloned horror into a winged tyrant with 2x devourers.

In this pic you can see I've used procreate putty over the balrog wings to make stereotypical tyranid style skin venting.


In this pic you can see the extended carapace and the beefed up arms and wing shoulder muscles I've made using this new procreate putty. The original leaping pose is very very good for the winged tyrant, its very dynamic.


In the last pic you can see the wing devourers. I like my nids to stay as 6 limbs, so weapons have to be incorporated into the wings (like the FW Harriden) I've used the grey putty to bend the parts in the wings seamlessly and added typical nid styling to the wings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
looks awsome
ummm what part of the "talloned horror" did u sculpt from the first picture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Top notch Gareth, top notch indeed. As has been pointed out the quality of the sculpt makes it difficult to pick out the sculpted parts.

Was this one done before or after Shadowsun?
 

·
Porn King!!!
Joined
·
8,137 Posts
That is awesome Gareth, just awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the only thing you might run into problems with it trying to field it is that the wings biomorph is incompatible with the extended carapace biomorph.

The model itself is top notch though :good:
Yeah sorry, the shoulder guards aren't for the 2+ ext. carapace save, they're there to make it more believable it has a basic 3+ save, and to blend the wings into the main body a bit and stop them looking like balrog wings.


Top notch Gareth, top notch indeed. As has been pointed out the quality of the sculpt makes it difficult to pick out the sculpted parts.

Was this one done before or after Shadowsun?


It was done before, in August last year. I've only just got round to adding wings.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,182 Posts
Brilliant stuff. I like the GS work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Damn, that looks sweet!

But tell me, am I the only one who thinks that the arms of the monstroues crature seem a wee bit small?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought i'd adapt the model a bit more. I've extended the armour on top to meet the shoulder armour. I also added some detail to the vents.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
I agree that the arms are a tad too small, but it may only be because they're unpainted, they'll probably look ok when finished.

Oh, and I'd like to add: Freaking sweet GS work mate!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I love the GS work you did on the head, the tiny arms on the side really give it an alen feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Painting WIP





New WIP shot, fresh off my painting desk. Spent a few hours painting the membrane on a single wing the past couple of nights. I'm really happy with it, its got tonnes of contrast and depth. Really pleased.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Painting tutorial

1. Paint the wing membrane with red gore. This took 2 coats.


2. Secondly, paint on watered down blood red trying to follow the lines and leaving red gore in the recesses.


3. Repeat stage 2 for a 2nd time, bringing up the brightness of the red.


4. Using bright orange lightly paint over the blood red only in the centre of the membrane section. Very thin strokes work best.


5. Water down scorched brown and paint it down the edges of the membrane section, basically either side of each digit. Do this a couple of times to bring up the darkness.


6. Mix black + water into your watered down scorched brown, and paint the edges again, making them even darker. Then using a small brush redefine some of the recesses with the dark mix.


7. Mix white into orange (50:50) and paint a handful of very thin strokes over your orange streaks, making sure you can still see orange. Remember less is more.


Side notes.
I use vallejo game colour. I didn't drybrush and I didn't ink. Watered down paint and careful brush control avoided the glossy and messy effect that ink produces.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top