Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've decided to jump into X-Wing. After skimming through the threads it looks like most people recommend getting 2 starters sets and expanding from there. I've ordered 1 of the original starter and one of the Force Awakens starter. Any problems with this? Should I look at picking up a second original starter?

Also, what expansions should I look at getting first? In the end I expect I'll collect them all because the models are awesome, but as I'm starting, what are some good jumping off expansions? Are there any expansions that I'll end up needing multiples of?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Honestly, buy what you think is cool. Write down cards so you don't have to buy specific ships just for upgrades, all that stuff is open source and pretty easy to get pictures of (you can even print them off if you want). It won't get you into tournaments but it will get you playing some way more interesting stuff than what you'll get out of the Core Set and any pair of Expansions once you get the game mechanics down...and you will get them down pretty quick. It isn't a very hard game to learn though it does take a few goes to get it right.

Instead of getting a second Core Set, I'd get any further ships from their individual blister packs so that you have the full complement of Pilot cards. What other ships do you like aside from what's in the Cores?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll get them all eventually because I love the models. Money's not really the issue for me, my GW funds have been shifted to X-Wing for the time being. I know I'll be getting the Falcon and Slave 1 soon as I saw them in my FLGS a couple days ago. Aside from that I'd like to field some x-wings and some Ties, and expand from there. I know, from looking at lists, people run multiples of the falcon, and the yt-2400, and was looking for a little guidance in that aspect.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I know, from looking at lists
Beware of netlisting. Much like 40k, a lot of those lists are built for pure unashamed fuckery with your opponent and might not make for a fun game. I'd never bring dual 13/2400's because two big turret ships would honestly be like playing the game on easy almost no matter what your opponent brings and how good they are at flying.

If you'd like some info on different ship builds I wrote this article the other day highlighting my favourites as they appear in my current collection. As far as builds, I have had a lot of fun and success playing:

Rebels:
three T-65s
YT-2400 w. 2x A-Wings
YT-1300 w. 2x Y-Wings
YT-2400 w. E-Wing

Imperials:
Decimator w. Phantom
Tie Defender w. TIEs
3x Interceptors
TIE Advanced (sometimes two) w. TIEs

Scum:
Firespray w. YV-666
dual Aggressors
YV-666 w. two Y-Wings
YV-666 w. HWK-290 and Khiraxz

Getting to a more helpful area yet?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely getting there. It seems conceivable that depending on my list I would need 2 or maybe even 3 of a given expansion. Possibly more. Unless there's some overlap in them from a model perspective. I.e. an extra Tie fighter in with the assault carrier.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
There are multiple places to get these ships:

T-65 X-Wing: core set, expansion, rebel transport
T-70 X-Wing: core set, expansion
A-Wing: expansion, Rebel Aces
B-Wing: expansion, Rebel Aces

Z-95's and Y-Wings show up in the Most Wanted kit as Scum, but are also available as Rebel ships in their expansions. The Most Wanted box also comes with an extra Y-Wing dial, and contents for Scum versions of the HWK and Firespray.

TIE Fighter: core set, expansion, Gozanti (two in the Gozanti, and in sexy blue)
TIE FO: core set, expansion
TIE Advanced: expansion, Raider
TIE Interceptor: expansion, Imperial Aces
EDIT: there is also going to be an Imperial Veterans box coming out soon with new paint jobs of the TIE Defender and Bomber, as well as swanky upgrades specific to those ships.

Aside from that everything's individually boxed. There's specific upgrade cards that come with each ship and some of those cards are crucial for making certain ships 'work' better and that can guide your purchases as well, but while building up your collection I do again suggest printing off cards or writing down their abilities so that you can expand your gaming experience. Waiting to get the Starviper to use Autothrusters with your A-Wings or Interceptors is just lame, and likewise I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with C-3P0 on the Falcon before buying the CR-90 :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts