Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though it's most likely what I think it is, I'd really like to hear your opinion on that rule.

In the codex it is claimed, that if the order Take Aim succeeds all units have precision shot rule. What I am not 100% sure of is: whether this means that on 6 to hit, you allocate the wound to whomever you want or whether it means that you can do the allocation as you want. The reason I ask is, that when you read the rule for the sniper rifle or for the characters that any 6 to hit results in a precision shot and since the order already gives that rule... it sounds a bit confusing to me.

I know this is nitpicking and I know most likely you need the 6 on hit to allocate to whomever you want, but since the rule has such a big consequences, I wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The precision shot special rule means that any roll of a 6 to hit can be allocated to whoever you want, so the guardsmen still need to hit on a 6 to choose their target.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
^ bang on. Specifically, pg. 63 BRB (though in this case we are talking about a unit and not a lone Character):

If any of your character's shots roll 6 To Hit, these are Precision Shots. Wounds from Precision Shots are allocated against a model (or models) of your choice in the target unit

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I think that RAI is clearly as stated above, but RAW it seems to be that every shot is allocated to whomever the player wants. Why? Because in NTAW's quotation it says that on a roll of 6, the characters shots are precision shots and can therefore be allocated wherever. The take aim command, however, gives those precision shots to all the guardsmen. It's all a bit confusing and I would play it as they suggested, as the RAW are kinda stupid.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
In what way is it confusing. Take Aim=Gives precision shot to all shots coming from guard platoon. It doesn't make them effect as precision shots, it gives the rule Precision Shot to the guard platoon. Therefore, any roll of a 6 from fire rolled by that squad is allocated by the firing player, not the defending player.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In what way is it confusing. Take Aim=Gives precision shot to all shots coming from guard platoon. It doesn't make them effect as precision shots, it gives the rule Precision Shot to the guard platoon. Therefore, any roll of a 6 from fire rolled by that squad is allocated by the firing player, not the defending player.
The confusion comes from the fact that there are supposedly two things: precision shot as a rule stating that characters and snipers have the precision shot as a result of throwing a 6 when aiming and the precision shot as a rule for wound allocation. Those two are different things yet have the same name hence the confusion.
I agree that when referencing to "precision shot rule", they reference most likely the first one, but there still remains this ambiguity I'd like to be precised in a FAQ.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
May 24th you'll probably see a USR that describes Precision Shot, so it will probably be all good then :)

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's still clear on pg 63, MRB 6.0 where there's a "Precision Shots" rule. It's just a squad that now has it, rather than just a character. Just like Snipers do now. I'm still not sure where any confusion is

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Every 6 you roll gets allocated where you want, the way I see it. Just like my sniper scouts when they are firing.

Consider that in every instance where Precision Shots are mentioned, 6's allow you the ability to select what model specifically is taking the armour save as opposed to following standard wound allocation procedures.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Now I am actually starting having more doubts on that matter. There is a weapon in the guard codex called Emperor's Benediction, which has "precision shot" rule and can be only taken by characters, since it's in the HEIRLOOMS OF CONQUEST list. If "precision shot" rule means, you can allocate on 6, why would it confer a rule, that every character already has?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts