Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Tactics of a Legion: A guide to the Crusade Army List

41K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Battman 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome one, welcome all! I have noticed around Heresy and other places that there are a growing number of people taking up pre-heresy armies. I’ve also noticed there seemed to be very little in the way or resources for them. So, I have/am writing a tactica article which will encompass all the “generic” options for a pre-heresy army. This means that I won’t be doing any of the Primarchs/special characters/legion specific units or discussing legion specific rules at this time. I may well do a later article on those, but for now it’s just the standard Crusade army list.

However, that’s not to say we can’t have fun with your bland legion choices. Oh no, we’re going to have a LOT of fun! With that…

Contents (to be updated as time goes on)

- Some things to note (Version 2.0)
- HQs (Version 3.0)
- Elites (Version 6.0)
- Troops (Version 2.0)
- Fast Attack (Version 3.0)
- Heavy Support (Version 2.0)
- Lords of War (Version 2.0)

Special Mentions:
Now that this tactica article is largely complete, I just thought I'd say a special thanks to those of you who have helped to inform these sections through their comments and criticisms. Since I don't quote them directly, I figured they deserved some recognition. As the article changes and more people comment, I will likely add more folks, but for now thanks to:
@Vaz
@Someguy
@ItsPug

Some things to note (Version 3.0):

Some things to note off the bat. Firstly, in your Crusade Army List, you can have 1 more HQ and Elite than you can in the usual army list in 40K, which is nice. Secondly, the Crusade Army List has its own Warlord trait table. I personally don’t think you can bank too much on Warlord Traits to help you in the game, but it’s worth noting. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, marines in a Crusade Army List do not have ATSKNF! That means that you can be cut down if you lose assaults, meaning you have to pick your fights carefully. They have Legiones Astartes, which means they can regroup regardless of casualties, so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Wargear (Version 2.0)

Right, so it’s worth having a discussion about some new, or should I say old, pieces of tech that the Crusade Army List has available to it.

Shooting stuff (Version 2.0)

Archaeotech Pistol (Version 2.0)

It’s a S 6, AP 3 pistol, with Master-crafted and since it’s pretty much exclusively taken by BS 5 characters, you’ll rarely miss. It is only 1 shot at AP3 though. Pretty nice, but not as nice as some bits of kit you can have.

Graviton Gun (Version 2.0)

If you want to kill people, 40Ks version of the Graviton Gun is better. If you want to slow down a nasty assault unit, this’ll probably do the job pretty well.

It is a heavy weapon and a blast weapons so can’t snap shot. Hence you should probably keep it on models with Relentless or tanks/chariots/artillery/etc. However, the blast template stays and counts as difficult terrain, which is a nice addition for an otherwise underwhelming gun. It also has haywire, which can really come in handy against tooled up Spartans who seem content to shrug off your lascannons, multi-meltas, etc.

Needle Pistol

A S 2 AP 5 pistol with Rending and Poisoned. Maybe useful for shooting some big beastie, but it’s only one shot a turn, so probably not.

Phospex grenades/shells

30Ks Napalm but worse. S 5, AP 2 with Poisoned(3+), Blast/Large Blast, it’ll clear out most things pretty effectively. Plus, wherever it lands is treated as dangerous terrain. One of the gems IMO.

Rad grenades

If you’ve read the Grey Knight Codex, you’ve seen these. Still just as nice.

Rad missiles

Krak missiles that half their strength in exchange for Fleshbane and whenever they wound a model, it’s toughness is reduced by 1 for the rest of the game. Perfect for making bikes/MoN/Nurgle Daemons/Wraith-things a bit easier to kill with standard weapons.

Volkite weapons

Slightly higher strength than a bolt-weapon but suffer a 3” decrease in range for it. Also have a nice rule, Deflagrate, which means that when they cause an unsaved wound, the unit suffers another his from the weapon. Sadly, these don’t cause addition wounds, but still it allows you more effectively decimate low-armour hoards.

Choppy stuff

Chainaxe

AP 4 close-combat weapon. Nice for getting through GEQ and the like.

Charnabal Sabre

Not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They’re AP -, but it does have Rending and you get +1I in a challenge. If you are strapped for points and want to give your sergeant an edge in a challenge, feel free. Also occasionally useful (if you are lucky or have lots of them) of helping your guys get through AV10-12, but otherwise there are better options if you can spare the points.

Paragon Blade

Another gem of the Crusade Army List. For a start, it’s an AP2 weapon that strikes at initiative. It also gives you +1S. Plus, any wounds of 6 cause Instant Death. Basically, whenever you can, take this.

Other stuff (Version 2.0)

Augury Scanner (Version 2.0)

Stops infiltrators setting up within 18”. Plus if deep striking reserves arrive within 18”, all Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons get Interceptor.

Cognis-signum

This is a package deal. It includes an Augury Scanner, Night Fighting plus a model equipped with it may buff a unit within 6” with +1BS instead of shooting. Pretty sweet.

Boarding Shields(Version 2.0)

Basically, Combat Shields that give you defensive grenades. It’s worth stating here for clarification sake that only one model need have defensive grenades for the whole unit to benefit. So throw a cheap centurion with boarding shield in your 20 man tactical blob or something and it’ll help you weather charges a bit better.

Legion Vexilla/Standard

A unit with a Vexilla can re-roll failed morale checks, which is vital when you don’t have ATSKNF. Standard gives you a 6” Fearless bubble.

Nuncio-vox

Gives you a 6” bubble of no scatter and allows the model equipped with I to draw LOS for other barrage weapons. Meaning you can park you artillery behind a building and let these folks direct them.

Terminator armour:

Now, you might be thinking “But we have Terminator armour in 40k, why are you mentioning it?” Well there are a few differences. One is that Terminator armour doesn’t give you Deep Strike in 30k. Some legions can buy it and one Rite of War can give it to Terminators, but in general 30k Terminators have to walk/be carried around.

Two is that there are actually two types of Terminator armour in 30k. One is pretty much the same as the one in 40k, minus the Deep Strike. The other is called Cataphractii and gives a 4++ instead of a 5++, but it makes you Slow and Purposeful rather than Relentless. So no Overwatch or running, but you Terminators all have Iron Halos basically.

Vehicle stuff

Anarbic Claw

You know James Bond’s car from Tomorrow Never Dies where it is electrified? It’s basically that.

Auxiliary Drive

Ignores Immobilized results on a 4+. Pretty nice

Flare Shield

Reduces the strength of Template or Blast weapons by -2 and everything else by -1. Slap it on Spartans and laugh as most things can only glance your AV14.

Kheres Assault Cannon

Better than your average assault cannon, since it has 6 shots, not 4. But otherwise the same.

Laser Destroyer

Basically an AP 1, Twin-linked Ordinance Lascannon

Predator Cannon

Basically a Heavy 4 Autocannon

Magna-melta

A Large Blast Melta. Say no more.

Rites of War

These are basically ways you can augment your Force Organisation. Each Legion has a specific one, but in the spirit of “generic Legion tactica” I won’t comment on them. They allow you things like taking Drop Pods/Land Raiders/Storm Eagles as dedicated transports, or having Veteran and Terminator squads as troops. Beware, though they do come with limitations and so can take some forward planning/more strategic thinking to use effectively. But since you can chose them it’s entirely possible to build an army around them, unlike Warlord traits.

Legiones Astartes:

It is worth noting that in Forge World's most recent publication they said that unlisted legions may chose between Furious Charge and Stubborn as an army-wide USR to compensate for the fact that the listed legions have unique army-wide rules. So if you were playing a legion like White Scars or Space Wolves you might pick Furious Charge to represent their savage charges. Similarly, Ultramarines or Dark Angels might pick Stubborn to represent their...stubbornness? Or you might defy convention and just pick one on a whim. Either way, it's worth factoring in.

Relics

In Conquest Forge World followed Games Workshops suit and offered relics to the 30k armies, all of which are around the 40 points mark and can be given to independent characters. You can also only have one of each per army, obviously. Much like the Rites of War each legion has its own specific relic, but there are some generic relics that I will discuss here:

Nanyte Blaster

With a 12” range, S 5, AP 2 and Fleshbane you might think “Isn’t this just a slightly better Archeotech Pistol?” And you’d be all wrong and a bag of chips. That’s because of a nifty rule called Uncontrolled Replication. Basically if you kill a model, you have a 50/50 chance of it exploding in a Blast of more S5 AP2 which can make people it kills explodes too. This blast doesn’t differentiate between friend and foe so either hang back and fire it or put it on a model you don’t mind losing. However, if you are lucky it can decimate your opponent’s battle line, especially if they have had the colossal poor judgement to put his army shoulder to shoulder (Phalanx Warder squads I’m looking at you). One of the better relics in my eyes.

Warp Shunt Field

Slightly below the benchmark in terms of price and for that you get a 3++ invulnerable save against shooting attacks. Plus whenever you save a shooting attack on a roll of a 6 it’s “directed back at the enemy” provided they draw line of sight. Although in reality, it’s only ever D6 S5 AP -, regardless of whether you were shot by a Quad Lascannon or a bolt pistol. Considering some legions get 3++ in both shooting and assault for like a third of the cost of this relic, for a little gimmick that is unlikely to do anything game changing I can’t recommend it unless you have a serious thirst for 3++ on one guy in the shooting phase.

Phase Walker

Now you can make an in-game version of that Raven Guard bloke from Angel Exerminatus. Basically, instead of your normal movement, the character you attach this to can teleport to anywhere on the table. However, there is a catch. If you can’t draw line of sight to where you want to go, you take a Dangerous Terrain test for every solid object you pass through between where you are and where you want to be. So you do run the risk of killing yourself. You also can’t use it to get out of assault, a building or a transport. You also count as having Deep Striked so you can’t appear and then assault. Maybe it could be useful for a last turn objective grab or something. All in all not that great then, especially since it’s as much above the bench mark as the Warp Shunt Field is below it. Can’t recommend really, no matter how cool it seems.

Combat Augment Array

When the rules for this were first released, everyone in 30k seemed to collectively orgasm, as it seemed to allow you to, for one turn, count every dice roll by one character as a 6. Since then Forge World have said “No, that’s not how it works.” Now we know that it allows one character, for one turn to count a single dice roll as a 6. Once the turn is over you take a Toughness test for every remaining wound you have and if you fail you get no saves, not even Feel No Pain, against it. Maybe it’ll save your bacon one time when your Praetor inflicts instant death with his paragon blade or something, but it’s just not reliable enough to warrant costing nearly 40 points. If it was like 15 then maybe, but as it stands, no.

Cloaking Array

The Raven Guard players will like this on. It does what it says on the tin really. For one game turn, your super-badass character curls up into a ball and sucks his thumb (meaning he can perform no voluntary actions, can’t be in a squad or assault) and your opponent’s feel so sorry for him they can’t shoot him or charge him. That is unless of course the person targeting him is a psyker or a daemon, who don’t care and shoot/charge him anyway. If they do so, the jig is up the rest of the army can shoot him again. Potentially useful when combined with the Phase Walker to make your guy appear behind enemy lines, disappear briefly and then uncloak the next turn and start chopping things up. Although, you’ll be paying 85 points for relics alone at that points so who/whatever you are teleporting behind enemy lines better bloody well be worth it.

Void Shield Generator

Basically you put a large blast marker over the character and anything inside is protected by an AV 12 wall that they can shoot through. Any glancing or penetrating hit will cause it to collapse and if you suffer an Explodes! result, everything under the Large Blast suffers a S 6 AP 4 hit. If the shield isn’t exploded, you can get it back on a 5+. If you put it on the Siege Breaker/Master of Signal that you’ve got with a Heavy Weapons team, you’re giving them some serious fire protection. If not, it’s always good fun to walk up the field with some unit protected by a AV 12 wall that they can shoot through and assault from. Along with the Nanyte Blaster, one of the better Relics for me.

Questions/comments/criticisms are welcome at any point :eek:k:

See less See more
#30 ·
1. Phoenix Terminators may now be taken as troops via Pride of the Legion (as can all Legion Specific Terminator Squads; Justaerin, Red Butcher, Phoenix, Gorgon, Firedrake, Tyrant Siege, and Lernaean Terminator Squads). This is more to do with the Legion Crusade Army List book, rather than the Legion specific rules, though. It should be noted that Deathguard Deathshroud and Grave Wardens are HQ and Heavy Support options respectively, and ineligible for becoming troops via Pride of the Legion.

2. +1 Initiative in Challenges by Emperor's Children Characters. Note that Chosen Warriors are explicitly NOT characters unless they are otherwise noted as such. This includes Legion Command Squads and Palatine Blades (although the Palatine Prefector is explicitly a Character, the Legion Command Squad Standard Bearer is not).

3. Palatine Blades may now be equipped with Phoenix Power Spears, instead of being limited to Power Swords or Lances. In addition, they may be taken up 10 men in size.

4. Phoenix Power Spears are available to any Character who may select a Power Fist from their list of options for the same cost.

There are some dysfunctions - namely with regards to 'The Hidden Blade' Rite of War which means you must still roll for your reserves. Considering the power upgrades other Rites of War grant, I'd imagine that you do not need to roll for it.

From what I can see, everything else is unchanged - no options removed, nothing added except the above notes. I checked the Rite of War; Maru Skara, the Legion Rules, Fulgrim, Eidolon, Rylanor, Tarvitz, Palatine Blades, Phoenix Terminators, and Kakophoni.

#32 ·
Well I am glad that my Legion finally got some buffs, like actually benefiting from being in a challenge. But it does nark me that I have to pay an additional £25 for rules I already paid for! :(

#31 ·
In regards to Power Weapons - the nearest reason I can think of not allowing them would be to allow it on certain units - Palatine Blades and White Scars being the obvious ones.

Otherwise, there isn't much reason to not take one, especially on heavy assault based armies, which rely on crushing the opponent and just decimating entire units. It may have been done erroneously in balancing, as currently, there's not exactly much balanced between assault and shooting - shooting wins out everytime, and Overwatch combined with Random charge distance just widened that gap a little bit more.

#34 ·
Thanks Zion! Hopefully the most recent offering is also to your liking :eek:k:

In case people hadn't noticed, the section on Heavy Supports is now up for you guys to look over, think about and hopefully discuss. At some point, I will try to condense the discussions (like the once about Legion Veterans) into a format that I can add to the tactica and thereby update it. However, I'll work on finishing the tactica first before I do that :victory:

So yeah, give it a read over and feel free to give any feedback you have here. I look forward to some more discussions.

#35 ·
I I say RESPECT MASTER
I succeeded has to read everything at the moment but it is the work of Titan that you made and it is really well made FÉLICITATION
I would have can be had to begin by reading your goods(articles) before beginning my lists :) :) :)
In any cases I am closely going to be interested has all that you have write
And once again FÉLICITATION MY MASTER ; my WARMASTER lol

#36 ·
Alright folks, a few changes and additions. I have added in the stuff I felt that significantly changed how we view units with the release of Forge World's latest Errata, mainly stuff to do with Implacable Advance. I also changed the unit on Jetbikes in light of the fact that they got a 2+ armour save in the new book (Legiones Astartes Army List) :shok:

Also I finished the section on Lords of War! That means we have a 'complete' tactica. Obviously, the points I make throughout are still up for discussion and I need to add the relics in. However, for the most part, this tactica article can be considered complete. Hopefully it is useful to some of you :eek:k:

#38 ·
See this was my fear and why I was hesitant about uploading the LOW section. Because I don't play that high points game regularly, I don't really know what works in the meta or not. Thanks once again for your insight Vaz. I've edited the LOW section to include your comments but paraphrased. Hopefully those sections are more true to the actual nature of such large points games.

#39 ·
A few thins i noticed...

Archaeotech Pistol

It’s a S 6, AP 3 pistol. Pretty nice, but not as nice as some bits of kit you can have.

Also has the master-crafted special rule, so you'll rarely miss

Graviton Gun

If you want to kill people, 40Ks version of the Graviton Gun is better. If you want to slow down a nasty assault unit, this’ll probably do the job pretty well.

The graviton gun is a heavy weapon with a blast, so cannot be fired by most infantry unless they're stationary. Mount them on vehicles or terminator armour equipped models. Note that the graviton gun causes a haywire hit on vehicles, and is a fairly reliable way to damage flare shelded, ceramite armoured, spartans.

Augury Scanner

Stops infiltrators setting up within 18”. Plus if deep striking reserves arrive within 18”, all Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons get Interceptor.

Boarding Shields

Basically, Combat Shields that give you defensive grenades.

As only one model need be equipped with defensive grenades for the squad to gain the effects, you might wish to consider taking an independent character with a boarding shield and attaching him to an appropriate infantry squad.

Praetor

He also enables you to take a Rite of War and a command squad, which you don’t have to do but both are nice options to have. Also, he gets to roll twice on whichever Warlord Trait Chart you want and you can pick your preferred result. So, with the new rules for the combined arms detachment, you can re-roll that. Sure it doesn’t guarantee you the trait you want, but if gives you an increased chance of getting it between 4 dice.

Chaplain

So Zealot is nice in, say, a 20 man assault/reaver squad or another close combat unit, but that’s the same with 40k Chaplains. He comes stock with a free power weapon of your choice. In the right squad, his buff with make the 35 points you spend on him worthwhile, but I would keep him as bare bones as possible and leave him at the back of the squad, driving them on (as he should be).

Siege Breaker

The Siege Breaker is very similar to the Master of Signal. He has a Nuncio-vox. He has and confers Tank Hunter and Wrecker onto the heavy weapon shooting attacks of any unit he joins. He can also buy Phosphex grenades, which it a bit paradoxical. You either sit him at the back with a load of lascannons or missile launchers and blow up vehicles/fortifications, or run him forward and lob napalm grenades on steroids. He also lets all Legion Medusa’s take Phospex shells for free, meaning you can just saturate your opponents lines with dangerous terrain pie plates. One of the better Consuls.

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (Version 3.0)

A rule you will quickly discover in 30k is “Bigger is better”. For example, the Veteran squad starts out as 5 lads which are 25 points each, but if you make it a 10 man squad the average cost is 20 points. They are basically Tactical Marines with 2 A and nothing else changes really in terms of Stats. Interestingly they have a bolter, a bolt pistol and a combat blade/chainsword, so they get a total of 4 attacks on the charge before you’ve even paid to give them anything. One in five guys can take a special weapon; Volkite/melta/plasma/flamer, lightning claws(s), heavy chainsword, heavy bolter or missile launcher (which can have Flakk missiles for a cost) both heavy weapons have a Suspensor Web. They can also all take Power Weapons and you can equip the entire squad with melta bombs for 25 points, regardless of the size of the squad (another reason to take a large squad).

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

The Thunderfire’s 30k cousin. Except you can take 1-3 of them. And they’re only 40 points each. They have Quad Heavy Bolters as standard, with 6 Twin-linked S 5, AP 4 shots. They can also have Laser Destroyers, Quad Mortars or a Graviton Cannon. A pretty cheap way to get a reasonable amount of Dakka into your list on a highly resilient platform, but considering the other options in the Elites sections, I wouldn’t reach for them first. That being said, they are very good if you’re strapped for points and in need of dakka. Point for point quad mortars are the horde clearance weapon of choice, especially useful if you gain the warlord trait thats gives some units with blast weapons shred.

Legion Reconnaissance Squad

Our other support squad. Basically your 30k scouts. Unlike 40k scouts, they start with power armour. They can downgrade to standard scout armour and they gain Infiltrate and Move Through Cover. Even without scout armour, they have Scout, Acute Senses and Outflank. They can also all take Melta-bombs and Cameleoline (basically camo-cloaks) at a price. Starting size of 5 and max size of 10. The other nice thing is that, unlike 40k scouts, they have BS4 rather than BS3. Much like the Assault Squad, if you like 40k scouts you’ll like 30k scouts. Due to the fact that Legion Recon Marine must pay to upgrade their bolters to sniper rifles, and the amount they must pay, it'll not be as effecient to use them as backfield objective holders, like scouts are commonly used in the 41st millenium.

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery

Honestly, these confuse me. These are basically automated weapons platform that fires at the nearest target, but the targets it wants to shoot depend on what weapons you give it. You can give it (all twin-linked) a heavy bolter, a heavy flamer, a rotor cannon, a lascannon or a multi-melta (not twin-linked but you get a searchlight, for what it’s worth). Also, for 50 points per gun (you can have up to 3) you can basically have a krak missile launcher with skyfire, interceptor and re-rolls to hits on fliers or fast skimmers. So 150 points for semi-decent AA stuff, Mortis dreadnoughts with missile launchers are cheaper, more mobile, and more accurate due to ballistic skill 5 as opposed to the tarantula's 3. Not bad. Other than that, since you have no real control over what they fire on I can’t recommend.

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter

A 2 hull point, AV11/11/10 flyer that starts with a twin-linked lascannon and you can upgrade to carry various weapons and bombs. Cheap when you start buying it but with all the various armaments it can get expensive. Easy to equip as both an infantry bomber or a flyer killer. Although, in neither case would it be the first thing I reach for. The one stand out build is to add 4 kraken turbo penetrator missiles, with S8 and armourbane, they are a good way to deal with flare shielded spartans, hence the nickname - Xerxes pattern.

Deathstorm Drop Pod

At some point in the Imperium’s history, someone looked at a drop pod and thought “Yeah we could put people in it…or we could pump if full of missiles!” It costs roughly as much as two regular drop pods and basically gives you 5 immobile missile launchers that can only launch frag missiles. You can pay for 5 2-shot krak missiles for a 1/3 of what the pod itself costs, but you then lose the frag missiles. Due to the recent FAQ, on the turn it arrives from reserve each missile launcher fires D3 times at units, friend or foe, within 12"

Legion Heavy Support Squad

Now, 10 lads with heavy bolters will cost you 10 points more than a terminator squad, which since they die twice as fast is pretty good considering they have the additional range and absolutely no need to march forward into enemy units to try and hack them apart. If you want 10 lascannons that’ll cost you almost twice as much, but 10 lascannons will scare the crap out of any tank, with any AV. Hell, that’s something I don’t think titans would be too happy about facing. Plus if you throw a siege breaker in there to grant them the tank hunter special rule you are laughing. All in all, they are probably one of the most reliable way to bring the most dakka/anti-tank stuff in one unit, but also probably not the most cost effective. And the fact that they all have to have the same gun does put a limit on how many dual duties they can pull, which they need to to get the most out of their points. I would definitely throw an Apothecary in with them, as giving them all FNP will help you get the most out of them for just a little bit longer.

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron

Another squadron! It’s another 1-3 slot, but this time with god-damned Land Raiders! However you can pick between three different flavours of Land Raider. There’s your standard Land Raider (Phobos) which is everything we know and love about Land Raiders. There’s the Proteus, which is 50 points less, loses the assault vehicle rule, but can be upgrades to have an Explorator Augury Web, which either gives you re-rolls to your reserves or gives your opponent’s reserves a -1 penalty. Finally there’s the Land Raider Achillies, but with a quad mortar instead of the thunderfire cannon. It’s immune to Lance and Melta weapons and reduces all results on the vehicle damage chart by 1. It does only have a transport capacity of 6 and lacks the assault vehicle rule as well. You can have these in any combination within the squadron, but only 1 can be an Achillies variant. So basically if you really love land raiders, this is the unit for you.

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship

You know when I said that the Storm Eagle wasn’t a gunship, it was a transport with guns. Well, to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee; “That’s not a gunship, this is a gunship!”. It costs a mere 200 points and this is what you get:
- A S 6 AP 3 Heavy 7 Twin-Linked nose mounted gun
- Two twin-linked Heavy 6 heavy bolters (Quad heavy bolters)
- 4 S6 rockets with Sunder (re-roll armour penetrations)
The quad heavy bolters can be upgraded to quad reaper autocannons, giving you only 4 twin linked shots, but all at S 7. Plus, the quad heavy bolters/quad reapers can be fired at different targets to all the other weapons (and each other) and don’t count towards the maximum number of weapons you can fire that turn. AND it has the Strafing Run special rule, making you BS 5 against anything that isn’t a flyer or fast skimmer. One of the gems of this section in my opinion. Even as I write this I’m not quite sure why I don’t own one…

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron

Another squadron, horray! Although it’s pretty fortunate it is a squadron because you can only have 1 of them in the army. You can chose 1-3 of and of the following (but no mixing and matching): A basilisk, a medusa and a whirlwind. A little more expesive than the entry in the Astra Militarium codex, you do gain BS4, but that doesnt make all that much of a difference when firing barrage weapons. Other than that they are exactly the same. The only change to the whirlwind is that it can give up its usual missile batteries for missile batteries which basically fire 1 krak missile with skyfire…I’m not impressed frankly. If you want AA options, there are much better ones than the whirlwind. As for the medusa and basilisk, well since they are mainly unchanged if they are good enough for Astra Militarium they are good enough for you.

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer

All hail the nipple gun! In all seriousness, this tanks does what it says on the tin; it destroys other tanks. It’s 2 shot ordinance S10 AP1 gun that forces and tank (even super heavies) it penetrates to only be able to fire snap shots the next turn. You can also strap heavy bolters or lascannons onto the side of it, but purchasing either is a mistake, as the main gun is fired, it forces all other weapons on the tank to snap fire. It has a higher chance of blowing up though, due to its ‘dangerous core’. Realistically, it’ll do its job and do it well, but it’s price tag of nearly 200 points make it a strong but not outstanding choice in my mind.

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank

Before you ask, I do these in the order they appear in the Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List book and I don’t know why the original Sicaran tank comes after the variant. In any case, whereas it’s Venator cousin deals with the big boys, the original Sicaran is the light tank/anti-infantry tank in the family. It has a 6 shot autocannon as its main gun, as opposed to the nipple gun previously mentioned. That might sound unremarkable, but consider this…it[ has the rending special rule, and] ignores jink saves. As before, it can take heavy bolters or lascannons. Lascannons serve well against light and medium vehicles, which is where the Sicarans main weapon is at its best, taking heavy bolters allows it to mow down hordes, but there are more effecient ways of doing that However, with a much more reasonable price tag of 155 points for it and the heavy bolters and the ability to laugh as Eldar players, hovering fliers and the like, it’s a pretty tempting option.

#40 ·
Thanks for your input ItsPug. Some stuff did need amending, and your insights helped in a lot of entries. I've compiled your stuff into the Tactica and you're in the special mentions too. As always, more comments and criticisms will help make the tactica better!

In other news, I know that at the HH Weekender we got 2 new Consul types as well as a new Dread. However since none of their rules are confirmed and the PDFs on Forge World's website have "Imperial sanction not yet granted" on them, I won't tackle them just yet. However, whenever Forge World prints their next book you can expect to see them added to this tactica. I also added a section on the generic relics from Conquest, since that's the only thing that was really added to the legions in the last book. However, the next book seems set to be Calth which means the focus should hopefully shift back to the Legions, as is only right and proper. What exciting times we live in!

#41 ·
This will get an update at some point to include the update to the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, Leviathan Siege Dread and all the stuff from book 5. I just haven't got round to it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.