Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It's in the Legion specific rulebook.

Emperor's Children have Exemplars of War, which grant Characters the +1 Initiative when in a challenge, then they have Sonic Shriekers which grant models equipped with them +1 Initiative during the first round of combat, and Charnabal Sabres provide the additional +1, meaning that a Centurion can theoretically hit all Primarchs (except their own) first in a challenge (Challenge, in the first round of combat, with a Charnabal Sabre).

They're faster that Angron, Curze and Corax, if built that way. Of course, don't actually expect them to do much more than a single wound. Even if they charge, they've got 5 attacks, hitting a higher Weapon Skill (so 4+ to hit), requiring a 6+ to wound (so Rending automatically, yay), facing a 4++ Save, and having between 5 and 7 wounds to play with.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
On the plus side: FINALLY! I was so sick of my Emperors Children getting no buffs in challenges despite being the duelist legion!

On the downside: CRAP! Now I've got to spend £25 to prove that to anyone. Why can't you just release a free PDF errata like everyone else Forgeworld!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I'm actually part way through doing a tactica based on the individual Legions, and how to try and get the best out of their legion specific rules. For example, it allows you to pick and choose either Stubborn or Furious Charge.

I'm doing it in legion order, so Legio I - Dark Angels, Legio II - Redacted, and then Legio III - Emperor's Children.

Looking at the rules, ironically, Breacher Siege Squads get some of the best benefits from the Legion rules if footslogging.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
That has since been removed in the Horus Heresy Legions Army book. There was a ton of Stealth Errata included in it - and in regards to Spear, the Emperor's Children have access to Phoenix Power Spears if that's what you were referring to - these are insanely cool, one of the few at-initiative AP2 in the game. And considering that it's characters who have access to them, and EC Characters get +1 Initiative in a challenge, and indeed HAVE to challenge, you've got to fix up look sharp.

It is is also worth pointing out that some units are natively equipped with stated weapons - Techmarines are Power Axes, and Apothecaries can upgrade to Power Sword.
So you're saying the main leather bound hard back book is now wrong? I have the short collectors edition thin book as well and it's not there were it was originally, I assume you're on about that being the stealth errata? If you're going off that on page 86 of the thin collectors book it says "Note on Power weapon" and it states there power sword, power axe and power maul.There's a lot of things wrong with that book tbh, for example there's no profile for a reaper autocannon but there's one for reaper autocannon battery.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I found the reaper profile it is in the weapons section but not in the Summary at the back, already knew the stats but just realised it wasn't there. Yeah, I appreciate they were cutting down on things but they didn't need to totally remove where the note was previously there's a massive gap there now lol.

My understanding is in certain legions it'll give you the option to swap the weapons for a more exotic version, for example Death Guard power fists can be swapped for Power Scythes which are pretty badass. It's the same for Emperor's Children, any model that can take a power fist may swap it for a phoenix spear. Normal power weapons though only seem to come in those three choices, which rules out power lances for some reason, I assume White Scars will get them.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Vaz, would you care/be able to point out the discrepancies between the Emperors Children in Books 1 & 2 and in the Legion Specific Rulebook?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Not any model.

Any Character can take one for the same price, which is a pain in some instances - for example, the Legion Command Standard Bearer is not listed as a Character. So, while it can challenge, no access to stuff like Nostraman Chainglaives etc.

In regards to Chainglaives, it specifies that you must have a Power Weapon as an option - which means that no Terminator Armoured equipped model can actually select it, as they're already equipped with it.

It specifies character models as well, because that then means that certain Legion specific Terminators become more preferable - i.e Phoenix Terminator Squads, or Deathshrouds.

Edit; at Deus Mortis - By all means, I'll have a look later.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Any character yeah, which includes sergeants of squads as they tend to be classified as Infantry (Character), but yeah any character with the option to purchase a power fist may instead choose a phoenix spear. I guess I'm not being accurate with my original wording sorry :)

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
1. Phoenix Terminators may now be taken as troops via Pride of the Legion (as can all Legion Specific Terminator Squads; Justaerin, Red Butcher, Phoenix, Gorgon, Firedrake, Tyrant Siege, and Lernaean Terminator Squads). This is more to do with the Legion Crusade Army List book, rather than the Legion specific rules, though. It should be noted that Deathguard Deathshroud and Grave Wardens are HQ and Heavy Support options respectively, and ineligible for becoming troops via Pride of the Legion.

2. +1 Initiative in Challenges by Emperor's Children Characters. Note that Chosen Warriors are explicitly NOT characters unless they are otherwise noted as such. This includes Legion Command Squads and Palatine Blades (although the Palatine Prefector is explicitly a Character, the Legion Command Squad Standard Bearer is not).

3. Palatine Blades may now be equipped with Phoenix Power Spears, instead of being limited to Power Swords or Lances. In addition, they may be taken up 10 men in size.

4. Phoenix Power Spears are available to any Character who may select a Power Fist from their list of options for the same cost.

There are some dysfunctions - namely with regards to 'The Hidden Blade' Rite of War which means you must still roll for your reserves. Considering the power upgrades other Rites of War grant, I'd imagine that you do not need to roll for it.

From what I can see, everything else is unchanged - no options removed, nothing added except the above notes. I checked the Rite of War; Maru Skara, the Legion Rules, Fulgrim, Eidolon, Rylanor, Tarvitz, Palatine Blades, Phoenix Terminators, and Kakophoni.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
In regards to Power Weapons - the nearest reason I can think of not allowing them would be to allow it on certain units - Palatine Blades and White Scars being the obvious ones.

Otherwise, there isn't much reason to not take one, especially on heavy assault based armies, which rely on crushing the opponent and just decimating entire units. It may have been done erroneously in balancing, as currently, there's not exactly much balanced between assault and shooting - shooting wins out everytime, and Overwatch combined with Random charge distance just widened that gap a little bit more.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
1. Phoenix Terminators may now be taken as troops via Pride of the Legion (as can all Legion Specific Terminator Squads; Justaerin, Red Butcher, Phoenix, Gorgon, Firedrake, Tyrant Siege, and Lernaean Terminator Squads). This is more to do with the Legion Crusade Army List book, rather than the Legion specific rules, though. It should be noted that Deathguard Deathshroud and Grave Wardens are HQ and Heavy Support options respectively, and ineligible for becoming troops via Pride of the Legion.

2. +1 Initiative in Challenges by Emperor's Children Characters. Note that Chosen Warriors are explicitly NOT characters unless they are otherwise noted as such. This includes Legion Command Squads and Palatine Blades (although the Palatine Prefector is explicitly a Character, the Legion Command Squad Standard Bearer is not).

3. Palatine Blades may now be equipped with Phoenix Power Spears, instead of being limited to Power Swords or Lances. In addition, they may be taken up 10 men in size.

4. Phoenix Power Spears are available to any Character who may select a Power Fist from their list of options for the same cost.

There are some dysfunctions - namely with regards to 'The Hidden Blade' Rite of War which means you must still roll for your reserves. Considering the power upgrades other Rites of War grant, I'd imagine that you do not need to roll for it.

From what I can see, everything else is unchanged - no options removed, nothing added except the above notes. I checked the Rite of War; Maru Skara, the Legion Rules, Fulgrim, Eidolon, Rylanor, Tarvitz, Palatine Blades, Phoenix Terminators, and Kakophoni.
Well I am glad that my Legion finally got some buffs, like actually benefiting from being in a challenge. But it does nark me that I have to pay an additional £25 for rules I already paid for! :(

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just saw this and it's shaping up to be one of the best indepth descriptions of the Legion army list out there! Keep up the great work Deus Mortis!
Thanks Zion! Hopefully the most recent offering is also to your liking :eek:k:

In case people hadn't noticed, the section on Heavy Supports is now up for you guys to look over, think about and hopefully discuss. At some point, I will try to condense the discussions (like the once about Legion Veterans) into a format that I can add to the tactica and thereby update it. However, I'll work on finishing the tactica first before I do that :victory:

So yeah, give it a read over and feel free to give any feedback you have here. I look forward to some more discussions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I I say RESPECT MASTER
I succeeded has to read everything at the moment but it is the work of Titan that you made and it is really well made FÉLICITATION
I would have can be had to begin by reading your goods(articles) before beginning my lists :) :) :)
In any cases I am closely going to be interested has all that you have write
And once again FÉLICITATION MY MASTER ; my WARMASTER lol

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Alright folks, a few changes and additions. I have added in the stuff I felt that significantly changed how we view units with the release of Forge World's latest Errata, mainly stuff to do with Implacable Advance. I also changed the unit on Jetbikes in light of the fact that they got a 2+ armour save in the new book (Legiones Astartes Army List) :shok:

Also I finished the section on Lords of War! That means we have a 'complete' tactica. Obviously, the points I make throughout are still up for discussion and I need to add the relics in. However, for the most part, this tactica article can be considered complete. Hopefully it is useful to some of you :eek:k:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Legion Stormblade Super-heavy Tank

Now this bad boy will eat almost 25% of a 2000 point list. Interestingly it cost the same a Ferrus Manus for those of you Iron Hand players out there. It has FA14/SA13/RA12 and 9 HP. You can two pairs of sponsons with a lascannon and twin-linked heavy bolter if you feel like paying another 100 points. A few pintle mounted guns can be bought, but you already guessed that. Now for that much you would be well within your right to expect it to do something phenomenal, and you might ask “does it?”

Allow me to answer your question with a question. Are two 7” Blast, S8, AP 2 or one 10” Blast, S 10, AP 2 phenomenal? If so, they yes it does. You will almost have to spend more than the starting cost to buy some auxiliary weapons to protect its main gun, especially in larger games this beauty can easily earn back its points with a few well places salvos.
It's use is being a Lord of War Super Heavy for under 2K points. It does have a lovely TEQ killing weapon, but without Ignores Cover. Super Heavies don't need to worry about Weapon Destroyed, they're immune to it.

Legion Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer

For 100 points more than a Spartan you get…A Spartan! Well, not exactly. For one thing the RA is lowered by 1 point, to be sporting I suppose. It comes with a flare shield as standard though, so I suppose that kind of evens things out. It has one more HP than the Spartan but loses the quad-lascannons on the sides, although it can buy singular lascannons to mount on it. Or heavy bolters if you prefer. Its main gun it a triple nipple gun. It’s basically a D3 shot S 10, AP 1 gun that forces any vehicle it penetrates (even super-heavies) to fire snap shots next turn. However, if you whiff penetrating a tank or wounding a person, you could lose a hull point.

In summary, a pretty deadly tank to stare down the barrel of if you are another super-heavy with mainly blast weapons. However, if your opponent is heavily infantry based you could find you just wasted almost 400 points on something that will get between 5 and 15 shots off. Which might just wipe out a terminator squad. So yeah, situational.
It's terrible. For the same price, you can pick up a pair of Sicaran Venators if you're that badly in need of AT. Its benefit is that it can be taken reasonably cheaply, but it's still overpriced. In a meta with Strength D, if you're not Strength D, you suck, especially if you're meant to be taking out Super Heavy Armour. The Shock pulse can come in handy... but you want to blow that fucker up, really.

Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

A vindicator on steroids, basically. Mostly the same stats at the Spartan, except with 1 more HP and no lascannon sponsons (although, as before, single lascannons/heavy bolters can be bought back). It also gets +1 to the Thunderblitz table if you feel like running over people. But that’s not what we’re here for. No, as in every case in this section, we care about the gun. Basically it’s a 7” blast vindicator cannon that ignores cover saves. 24” range if you move, 48” if you don’t. Plus it comes in at only 17.5% of your 2000 point list. I can already feel the Iron Warrior and Death Guard players going weak in the knees.
If you're playing 2K points, you're playing Heresy wrong. 3K is about the minimum I find to get a decent list without being hamstrung, similar to how 1850 is about optical for 40K. However, it's still good - S10 AP1 Ignores Cover means it bottoms out Cover and FNP, the two crutches of the big 20 man blob. That you catch anywhere up to around 15 in that blast is just the plus side to it.

Legion Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer

Does what it says on the tin. With a twin-linked volcano cannon, two quad-lascannons and 12 HP, this tank will guarantee you many dead tanks. It rocks in at just over 500 points without upgrades, so you might want to consider how many tanks you’ll be facing before taking it. But its main cannon is still a large blast, so it will quite happily ruin the day of some terminators/a primarch if there are no more tanks about.
TL'd Strength D Blasts. FUCKS. SHIT. UP. An all comers weapon, for if you think you might be facing Gargantuans.

Legion Malcador Assault Tank

Ah, oh dear. It seems that an Astra Militarium tank got lost and wound up here. It cost only 5 points more than a Spartan, but it’s not even worth that. It’s basically a bloated Leman Russ. It’s also not worth taking, so we shall move swiftly on.
It's also a lot more points. Smile and wave, boys.

Legion Fellblade Super-heavy Tank

Cousin to the Falchion with much of the same armaments except it gets a price hike of 20 points and exchanges its Volcano cannon for a Fellblade Accelerator cannon. Either 7” blast, S 8, AP 3 or a small blast with S 9, AP 2 and Armourbane. Now initially you might think this was good, but when the Stormblade is 30 points cheaper, and the Typhon is 75 points cheaper and both will get rid of both infantry and tanks better (and more of them due to a larger blast radius) I struggle to justify it. The only real benefit it has over those two is more HP and the quad lascannons. If that’s enough for you then great. For me though, if I was only including 1 super-heavy I would pick its friends over this one.
Typhon doesn't have a turret, and its limited range (24/48 sucks kangaroo balls), it doesn't have 4x Lascannons... only complaint is AP3, which makes it useless against anyone new enough to play Terminator heavy Pride of the Legion).

Legion Glaive Super-heavy Tank

We take another price hike, this time of 100 points and exchange the Accelerator cannon for a weapon called a Volkite Carronade and we have the Glaive. Instead of a single shot, it’s an 1” wide beam that is 48” long that can only be stopped by Super-heavy tanks, Gargantuan creatures or large intact buildings/fortresses. It ignores cover, has haywire and deflagrate, all of which are nice when you add it to the fact that the beam itself is S8 AP2.

Now, I really like this tank, in principle. Unfortunately its downfall is the same as it’s cousin the Fellblade. For the price of a Glaive I can take a Typhon and two Vindicators, have the same number of combined HP and probably do more damage to both tanks and people by spamming pie plates. Sure the Glaive as the range over Vindicators and the Typhon if it moves, but it’s still a straight line. And how often do you see vehicles conga-lining it rather than being simple close to each other. So yeah, good in principle, but its price tag and the comparison to other units let it down.
Erm... This is about the best SH in the list - It has Quad Lascannon Sponsons, and the Carronade deals D3+1 Haywire hits. If you're facing Super Heavies, this is the bad boy you need - 4 TL Lascannons and D3+1 Haywire hits, means you're looking at between 5-6 Hullpoints a turn on a decent round of shooting. If you're not blowing up Super Heavies, sure, it's not good, but if you're bringing SH's anyway, then you're likely going to be facing them. Although walks down memory lane are useful, I've caused 11 Hull points of damage in one shooting phase, thanks to this bad boy - rolling 4 Haywire Hits, one of which was a pen, plus the penetrating hit from the S8 shot on the side of the opponents Fellblade, both of which ended up rolling Explodes and getting 5 and 5, so 6+3 = 9, and the Lascannons cracked off, glancing its side armour for a total of 11 HP damage, on turn 3.

Thunderhawks

Super-heavy fliers. I’m pretty certain they are unchanged from 40k so if you like Thunderhawks then, you’ll still like them in your 30k Legion.
Without a Deep Strike from assault rule, putting 30 Models into a Thunderhawk and waiting until Turn 3 to assault isn't really a bright idea. They also kind of suck without Turbolasers, and even then they're undergunned - however the Strength D does even it up. However, without Jink, it's stuck in Zoom mode to keep it safe, because as soon as it loses its defence against non-AA weapons it's pretty much dead meat.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
See this was my fear and why I was hesitant about uploading the LOW section. Because I don't play that high points game regularly, I don't really know what works in the meta or not. Thanks once again for your insight Vaz. I've edited the LOW section to include your comments but paraphrased. Hopefully those sections are more true to the actual nature of such large points games.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A few thins i noticed...

Archaeotech Pistol

It’s a S 6, AP 3 pistol. Pretty nice, but not as nice as some bits of kit you can have.

Also has the master-crafted special rule, so you'll rarely miss

Graviton Gun

If you want to kill people, 40Ks version of the Graviton Gun is better. If you want to slow down a nasty assault unit, this’ll probably do the job pretty well.

The graviton gun is a heavy weapon with a blast, so cannot be fired by most infantry unless they're stationary. Mount them on vehicles or terminator armour equipped models. Note that the graviton gun causes a haywire hit on vehicles, and is a fairly reliable way to damage flare shelded, ceramite armoured, spartans.

Augury Scanner

Stops infiltrators setting up within 18”. Plus if deep striking reserves arrive within 18”, all Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons get Interceptor.

Boarding Shields

Basically, Combat Shields that give you defensive grenades.

As only one model need be equipped with defensive grenades for the squad to gain the effects, you might wish to consider taking an independent character with a boarding shield and attaching him to an appropriate infantry squad.

Praetor

He also enables you to take a Rite of War and a command squad, which you don’t have to do but both are nice options to have. Also, he gets to roll twice on whichever Warlord Trait Chart you want and you can pick your preferred result. So, with the new rules for the combined arms detachment, you can re-roll that. Sure it doesn’t guarantee you the trait you want, but if gives you an increased chance of getting it between 4 dice.

Chaplain

So Zealot is nice in, say, a 20 man assault/reaver squad or another close combat unit, but that’s the same with 40k Chaplains. He comes stock with a free power weapon of your choice. In the right squad, his buff with make the 35 points you spend on him worthwhile, but I would keep him as bare bones as possible and leave him at the back of the squad, driving them on (as he should be).

Siege Breaker

The Siege Breaker is very similar to the Master of Signal. He has a Nuncio-vox. He has and confers Tank Hunter and Wrecker onto the heavy weapon shooting attacks of any unit he joins. He can also buy Phosphex grenades, which it a bit paradoxical. You either sit him at the back with a load of lascannons or missile launchers and blow up vehicles/fortifications, or run him forward and lob napalm grenades on steroids. He also lets all Legion Medusa’s take Phospex shells for free, meaning you can just saturate your opponents lines with dangerous terrain pie plates. One of the better Consuls.

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (Version 3.0)

A rule you will quickly discover in 30k is “Bigger is better”. For example, the Veteran squad starts out as 5 lads which are 25 points each, but if you make it a 10 man squad the average cost is 20 points. They are basically Tactical Marines with 2 A and nothing else changes really in terms of Stats. Interestingly they have a bolter, a bolt pistol and a combat blade/chainsword, so they get a total of 4 attacks on the charge before you’ve even paid to give them anything. One in five guys can take a special weapon; Volkite/melta/plasma/flamer, lightning claws(s), heavy chainsword, heavy bolter or missile launcher (which can have Flakk missiles for a cost) both heavy weapons have a Suspensor Web. They can also all take Power Weapons and you can equip the entire squad with melta bombs for 25 points, regardless of the size of the squad (another reason to take a large squad).

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

The Thunderfire’s 30k cousin. Except you can take 1-3 of them. And they’re only 40 points each. They have Quad Heavy Bolters as standard, with 6 Twin-linked S 5, AP 4 shots. They can also have Laser Destroyers, Quad Mortars or a Graviton Cannon. A pretty cheap way to get a reasonable amount of Dakka into your list on a highly resilient platform, but considering the other options in the Elites sections, I wouldn’t reach for them first. That being said, they are very good if you’re strapped for points and in need of dakka. Point for point quad mortars are the horde clearance weapon of choice, especially useful if you gain the warlord trait thats gives some units with blast weapons shred.

Legion Reconnaissance Squad

Our other support squad. Basically your 30k scouts. Unlike 40k scouts, they start with power armour. They can downgrade to standard scout armour and they gain Infiltrate and Move Through Cover. Even without scout armour, they have Scout, Acute Senses and Outflank. They can also all take Melta-bombs and Cameleoline (basically camo-cloaks) at a price. Starting size of 5 and max size of 10. The other nice thing is that, unlike 40k scouts, they have BS4 rather than BS3. Much like the Assault Squad, if you like 40k scouts you’ll like 30k scouts. Due to the fact that Legion Recon Marine must pay to upgrade their bolters to sniper rifles, and the amount they must pay, it'll not be as effecient to use them as backfield objective holders, like scouts are commonly used in the 41st millenium.

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery

Honestly, these confuse me. These are basically automated weapons platform that fires at the nearest target, but the targets it wants to shoot depend on what weapons you give it. You can give it (all twin-linked) a heavy bolter, a heavy flamer, a rotor cannon, a lascannon or a multi-melta (not twin-linked but you get a searchlight, for what it’s worth). Also, for 50 points per gun (you can have up to 3) you can basically have a krak missile launcher with skyfire, interceptor and re-rolls to hits on fliers or fast skimmers. So 150 points for semi-decent AA stuff, Mortis dreadnoughts with missile launchers are cheaper, more mobile, and more accurate due to ballistic skill 5 as opposed to the tarantula's 3. Not bad. Other than that, since you have no real control over what they fire on I can’t recommend.

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter

A 2 hull point, AV11/11/10 flyer that starts with a twin-linked lascannon and you can upgrade to carry various weapons and bombs. Cheap when you start buying it but with all the various armaments it can get expensive. Easy to equip as both an infantry bomber or a flyer killer. Although, in neither case would it be the first thing I reach for. The one stand out build is to add 4 kraken turbo penetrator missiles, with S8 and armourbane, they are a good way to deal with flare shielded spartans, hence the nickname - Xerxes pattern.

Deathstorm Drop Pod

At some point in the Imperium’s history, someone looked at a drop pod and thought “Yeah we could put people in it…or we could pump if full of missiles!” It costs roughly as much as two regular drop pods and basically gives you 5 immobile missile launchers that can only launch frag missiles. You can pay for 5 2-shot krak missiles for a 1/3 of what the pod itself costs, but you then lose the frag missiles. Due to the recent FAQ, on the turn it arrives from reserve each missile launcher fires D3 times at units, friend or foe, within 12"

Legion Heavy Support Squad

Now, 10 lads with heavy bolters will cost you 10 points more than a terminator squad, which since they die twice as fast is pretty good considering they have the additional range and absolutely no need to march forward into enemy units to try and hack them apart. If you want 10 lascannons that’ll cost you almost twice as much, but 10 lascannons will scare the crap out of any tank, with any AV. Hell, that’s something I don’t think titans would be too happy about facing. Plus if you throw a siege breaker in there to grant them the tank hunter special rule you are laughing. All in all, they are probably one of the most reliable way to bring the most dakka/anti-tank stuff in one unit, but also probably not the most cost effective. And the fact that they all have to have the same gun does put a limit on how many dual duties they can pull, which they need to to get the most out of their points. I would definitely throw an Apothecary in with them, as giving them all FNP will help you get the most out of them for just a little bit longer.

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron

Another squadron! It’s another 1-3 slot, but this time with god-damned Land Raiders! However you can pick between three different flavours of Land Raider. There’s your standard Land Raider (Phobos) which is everything we know and love about Land Raiders. There’s the Proteus, which is 50 points less, loses the assault vehicle rule, but can be upgrades to have an Explorator Augury Web, which either gives you re-rolls to your reserves or gives your opponent’s reserves a -1 penalty. Finally there’s the Land Raider Achillies, but with a quad mortar instead of the thunderfire cannon. It’s immune to Lance and Melta weapons and reduces all results on the vehicle damage chart by 1. It does only have a transport capacity of 6 and lacks the assault vehicle rule as well. You can have these in any combination within the squadron, but only 1 can be an Achillies variant. So basically if you really love land raiders, this is the unit for you.

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship

You know when I said that the Storm Eagle wasn’t a gunship, it was a transport with guns. Well, to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee; “That’s not a gunship, this is a gunship!”. It costs a mere 200 points and this is what you get:
- A S 6 AP 3 Heavy 7 Twin-Linked nose mounted gun
- Two twin-linked Heavy 6 heavy bolters (Quad heavy bolters)
- 4 S6 rockets with Sunder (re-roll armour penetrations)
The quad heavy bolters can be upgraded to quad reaper autocannons, giving you only 4 twin linked shots, but all at S 7. Plus, the quad heavy bolters/quad reapers can be fired at different targets to all the other weapons (and each other) and don’t count towards the maximum number of weapons you can fire that turn. AND it has the Strafing Run special rule, making you BS 5 against anything that isn’t a flyer or fast skimmer. One of the gems of this section in my opinion. Even as I write this I’m not quite sure why I don’t own one…

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron

Another squadron, horray! Although it’s pretty fortunate it is a squadron because you can only have 1 of them in the army. You can chose 1-3 of and of the following (but no mixing and matching): A basilisk, a medusa and a whirlwind. A little more expesive than the entry in the Astra Militarium codex, you do gain BS4, but that doesnt make all that much of a difference when firing barrage weapons. Other than that they are exactly the same. The only change to the whirlwind is that it can give up its usual missile batteries for missile batteries which basically fire 1 krak missile with skyfire…I’m not impressed frankly. If you want AA options, there are much better ones than the whirlwind. As for the medusa and basilisk, well since they are mainly unchanged if they are good enough for Astra Militarium they are good enough for you.

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer

All hail the nipple gun! In all seriousness, this tanks does what it says on the tin; it destroys other tanks. It’s 2 shot ordinance S10 AP1 gun that forces and tank (even super heavies) it penetrates to only be able to fire snap shots the next turn. You can also strap heavy bolters or lascannons onto the side of it, but purchasing either is a mistake, as the main gun is fired, it forces all other weapons on the tank to snap fire. It has a higher chance of blowing up though, due to its ‘dangerous core’. Realistically, it’ll do its job and do it well, but it’s price tag of nearly 200 points make it a strong but not outstanding choice in my mind.

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank

Before you ask, I do these in the order they appear in the Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List book and I don’t know why the original Sicaran tank comes after the variant. In any case, whereas it’s Venator cousin deals with the big boys, the original Sicaran is the light tank/anti-infantry tank in the family. It has a 6 shot autocannon as its main gun, as opposed to the nipple gun previously mentioned. That might sound unremarkable, but consider this…it[ has the rending special rule, and] ignores jink saves. As before, it can take heavy bolters or lascannons. Lascannons serve well against light and medium vehicles, which is where the Sicarans main weapon is at its best, taking heavy bolters allows it to mow down hordes, but there are more effecient ways of doing that However, with a much more reasonable price tag of 155 points for it and the heavy bolters and the ability to laugh as Eldar players, hovering fliers and the like, it’s a pretty tempting option.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for your input ItsPug. Some stuff did need amending, and your insights helped in a lot of entries. I've compiled your stuff into the Tactica and you're in the special mentions too. As always, more comments and criticisms will help make the tactica better!

In other news, I know that at the HH Weekender we got 2 new Consul types as well as a new Dread. However since none of their rules are confirmed and the PDFs on Forge World's website have "Imperial sanction not yet granted" on them, I won't tackle them just yet. However, whenever Forge World prints their next book you can expect to see them added to this tactica. I also added a section on the generic relics from Conquest, since that's the only thing that was really added to the legions in the last book. However, the next book seems set to be Calth which means the focus should hopefully shift back to the Legions, as is only right and proper. What exciting times we live in!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts