1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using my tactical squad comprised of
Sergeant with Powerfist and bolter
9 marines, one with melta and one with missile launcher and a rhino
it comes to 235 points and i am not sure if i should trade the bolter on the sergeant for a plasma pistol or combi-melta or keep it as a bolter
any comments would be most welcome :victory:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Powerfists are one of my least favorite upgrades for tac squads, they pretend to give you duality but they don't. My favorite builds are MM, Flamer or Meltagun, Combi Flamer or combi meltagun. Obviously give them a rhino. You could also take a 5 man squad with combi weapon in a las/plas razorback.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Currently My sergants dont get upgraded, tho I do like the extra shots from the bolter, as for the heavy/special weapons i use a Multi Melta and a Plasma gun, in all my tactical squads. They are all meched up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here's some general help with Tactical squads. Hopefully it'll be of use.
I disagree with Sqwerl on two main points, his idea that powerfists are obligatory and that ML trumps MM.

Powerfists don't help tac squads at all, and they're pretty expensive. It won't help you win combat against anything that wants to fight you as those will just steamroll tactical marines which are pretty terrible in close combat. It barely protects you from walkers and monstrous creatures, I think your odds of killing a dreadnought are 1/9 with a sergeants powerfists, whereas the odds of escaping an I4 opponent using combat tactics are 1/3. They don't protect you from Ic's much as any good close combat Ic is T5 or eternal warrior except for old one's like Kharn and those will generally have a squad with them to tie up the fist. As for killing vehicles meltaguns handle those much better. There may be rare occasions where they are useful but I would rather have a MM attack bike running around then 2 fists on my tac squads.

as for the MM v. ML debate while ML have a greater range tac quads are primarily a midfield control unit and so that is largely irrelevant, range is provided by rifleman dreads and Land speeder typhoons in space marine lists. MM's have the all important AP 1 and provide a 12 inch area denial where no tank wants to go for fear of getting blown all to hell without you even having to disembark.

In reference to those who believe “redundancy” is key, and think they need both options, they're retarded. You will never have an opportunity to use both in a legitimate game, and given the opportunity to use both (hard target within 12”) I'd much, much rather move 6” forward for the Meltagun shot, then Power Fist assault it (likely to be immob'd for insta-hits) or it's passengers if it was a transport.
If you disembark and shoot a transport with your meltagun then powerfist it then you've done your opponents work of getting you out of your bunker for them. If it's a transport there's poor odds you'll be able to assault the occupants, in which case you negate the advantages of having demeched them by having a target right in front of them. There are few targets that Tactical marines want to assault anyways that wouldn't either be a mistake, getting my whole squad out to assault meltavets in front of an imp guard army, or would only occur when you've basically got the game in the bag, ie tau fire warriors. I'd much rather put 1 melta range shot and 1 normal range shot both AP 1 at a target within 12 inches rather then demech myself for no good reason. That said ML aren't a terrible choice it's just that he portrays MM as "one of the worst options" which is a great mistake.

just giving you a different take on tactical squads, Sqwerl has some good points but don't take all of it to heart.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I personally prefer MG/ML and combi melta on sarg.

PF's do have their place, things like SM IC's breaking off to go murder a whole tac squad without fear of being punked. If a PF is there, that captain (or whatever it may be) will have to think twice before breaking off. It really does come down to how you play them, there is no perfect setup.

PF/MG/ML is a fine setup and gives you lots of flexability for your tacts. You have ML for good range if you combat squad, you have PF sarg protecting your MG, which you will be in assault range to use.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I've found uses for all the available heavy weapons, apart from heavy bolters.

I don't use lascannons a lot but they are still very good guns. They are expensive of course, but without a few of them in your list you will have big problems with things like obliterators. The extra point of strength makes a big difference to your chances of killing most vehicles as well, with the effect that it does generally make sense to pay 20% more for that combat squad - if it is going to be shooting at tanks.

Most people go for missile launchers or multi-meltas. Either is good but I would suggest a mixture rather than going all one way or the other. About half and half is probably best.

Plasma cannons can be amazing, though they usually aren't. Having a squad with a plasma cannon ready to fire if a transport pops can be devastating though. Negating fnp can be huge.

Personally I do go for fists, which I consider to be offensive, rather than defensive weapons. It wouldn't be crazy to not take them, but I would miss them I'm sure. Drizzt's point that they mostly help in situations you are winning anyway might be true though. If you are using a lot of tactical marines then you can be less precious with them and throw them at things like obliterators, which can win games, but only if you have a fist. Otherwise you need somebody else.

For special weapons I think meltas are the only choice. They are so good against so many of the key units you need to kill. Plasma guns don't justify their cost for one more shot, at far less power. Flamers are a luxury, and are only really good at things you could shoot with your bolters or charge anyway. I'd want to have a flamer somewhere in my list, but I tend to field a redeemer which ticks that box nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts