Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I found the random objectives good in some cases. Though for others it just seemed to be the guy with the fastest troops to run around the board won even if he killed no one and was taken down to a single guy left at the end.

Trouble is same went with the the old game. People on jetbikes could fly in packs of 3 to gather up linebreaker. The person with the first turn normally ended up with first blood, and maybe even slay the warlord. At that point (end of turn 1-2) the victory points were 2or3-0 and with the only remaining VPs to win being slay the warlord against them and getting a few objectives from the field of battle the likely chance was you could have [won/lost] before [you/your oppenent] even took a turn.

At least with these new objectives it means that you can have a fighting chance after those first 2-3 have come in for the enemy.

I personally would have prefered a system that had some kind of army focus / theme though.
So Chaos are more about killing / ritual challenges / displays of power than gather/securing.
Orks are the brutal tide that like chaos is about the killing and overpowering of the enemy.
Imperial Guard are more about securing the tactical objective and pushing the enemy back, but less about the heroic kill the enemy leader in a challenge type of stuff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Long long ago in 2nd / 3rd edition you had some objectives to capture worth X number of VPs but also for every X amount of points of stuff you killed you earnt VPs.
Normally it was 100pts of stuff = 1VP.
The objectives point values were normally based on how many points the game was. Either in a way that the objectives were worth more, or their were more objectives to gather. But the main decider was often the amount of stuff you killed.
I still think that a system like this should still be used, though working out the amount of VPs to killing ratio might be trouble. THOUGH as each side scores the same amount per X amount of pts killed then regardless it should even itself out. BUT might have the problem of either being just a couple of extra pts to tip the balance OR make the other objectives pointless in going for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts