Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
One house rule I've thought up (but have yet to propose): cards that cannot be scored in the game you're playing you can discard and redraw immediately (say, pass psychic when you have no psykers, or kill a flyer against a list with none)--that would just about kill your "passive scoring" technique here, but it would mitigate some frustrating randomness.

Mind you, there are also Scrier's Gaze and the Tactical Warlord Trait that can serve to mitigate the uncontrollable randomness, if are able to bring Divination/choose to branch into Tactics WTs.

Good summary of the state of the game with a few thoughts I hadn't given enough consideration to (again, passive scoring and the like). I don't know if you stressed the game-turning capability of the Kingslayer card, what with Slay the Warlord still being a thing, plus D3 (I think) more points... it increases the importance of keeping your WL alive even more, in case your opponent draws it at any point after that in the game.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Also, i really despise the D3 points stuff...many an objective gives you a random point number. I wonder why. They removed randomness from spells and Warlord Traits just to put it back in objectives??
Well, most of those D3 ones are a way of saying "you killed 3 things rather than 1 thing/held 3 objectives rather than 1: here, have more points for going above and beyond the call of duty."

3 points would have been way too much, but I agree they could have simply turned instances of D3 into just plain 2.

-------

A game mode that I want to try to figure out eventually would be to combine an Eternal War mission and a Maelstrom mission: score points over the battle then have a final accounting over who has the Relic, who holds the objectives, etc. The Scouring, Relic, Killpoints mission are all simple enough--it's the ones with a random less-than-6 objectives that are troublesome. I don't want to play a Big Guns Never Tire with 6+2+D3 objectives for 11 targets on the board.

Base Race/Capture the Flag (Ahem, sorry, "Cleanse and Control," I think) could work with you just pick one of the numbered tactical obj markers in your deployment zone as your "home objective." The Scouring might be hard, on second thought, to randomly generate the value of each obj while keeping the tactical objs numbered 1-6... Hmm.

I imagine Secondary Objectives would only be counted once. The idea clearly needs more work, still, and the player base would have to get familiar with it before it could ever be run in tournaments (so as not to confuse them and to let them get used to tracking so many objectives at once), but... I think it would be an excellent compromise between random over-the-game objectives and a reliable end scoring tally you can be playing the long game for.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I was thinking to it, too. The merging could really bring Wh40k to another tactical level.
My idea was: D3+2 objectives on the board, scoring as usual per Maelstorm of War, then objectives card, with each mission its own set. So, for the relic we would remove every objective related card, for the scouring we would remove lots of the "kill stuff" objectives (its a recognition, not a slaughterhouse) while in Big Guns never tire, we could remove some peculiar cards like "reveal all objectives" and "issue challenges" (big guns do not challenge you in melee)
just some ramblings :)
Perhaps, but the simpler we keep things and the closer to rulebook-standard we keep them, the easier people will be able to pick up on it/teach their friends accurately. And do bear in mind that half of the mission cards are the numbered objectives... so removing those makes for a lot fewer cards to draw from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts