Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my local group (can three guys really be called a group? A gathering?) consists of Ultramarines (oh how I've come to loathe those Blue Boys...) and Ad Mech/Dark Eldar (switching between armies, not allied). As such, I've become accustomed to either being horribly out ranged or out-paced. I love my Nids, but can't seem to find the right way to bring in our faster units. A Flying Hive Tyrant, sure; Shrikes... not so much. Against UltraMarines, one Tactical Doctrine and Rest in Peace, Flying Warriors.

Well, much like I do in my free time, I was brainstorming someway to overcome my main threat of the Azure Turtles as I've come to call my friend's play-style. Everything I thought of was too unreliable, would be utterly annihilated before getting in threat range, or seems intimidating but would collapse after he finishes his rousing sport of Hunt the Synapse (he has openly stated that in cases of heavy weapons, anything under S8 isn't worth is time).

Thus this little idea was spawned in my mind. I know I mentioned unreliable, and this DEFINTELY stumbles along that line like a drunkard.

====

1000 point army
HQ
Tervigon

Troops
2x 30 FB Termagants
2x Tervigons w/ E.Shock Grubs

Misc
2x D.Spitter Tyrannocytes

====

The two Assault Tervigons (Troop Tervigons) would be within the Tyrannocytes to come down close to the enemy (or even near objectives). Immediately after disembarking, they spawn some Termagants and suddenly there's now two Monstrous Creatures and a variable amount of little gaunts in the enemy's face. If that doesn't force an about-face in terms of priority, I'm not sure what else could. All this on top of the 60+ gaunts (or what's left of them) and Queen-Bee (HQ) Tervigon moving forward.

====

1500 point army
HQ
1x Tervigon w/ Regeneration

Troops
3x 30 FB Termagants
2x Tervigons w/ Crushing Claws & E.Shock Grubs
1x Tervigon w/ E. Shock Grubs

Elites
1x Venomthropes

Misc
3x D.Spitter Tyrannocytes

====

Same basic principle with more points. Queen-Bee Tervigon, boosted with Regen and shielded by more gaunts and Shrouded deployed in backfield with her minions, spawning more when needed, and accompanied by her Right-Hand Man, the Venomthrope. That should allow her to survive long enough for the other three to come falling from the stars and start spewing forth murder closer to enemy lines. The Assault Tervigons are equipped in case of enemy armor that needs to be forcibly removed from their path, plus a template is never bad to have when facing infantry. The reason one doesn't have Crushing Claws was to make room for Regeneration. The original plan was to have two Venomthropes accompanying the Queen-Bee since only one is more likely to get popped via S8 weapon and to better ensure the entire base-swarm is shrouded, but that put me over points-wise. Instead, this feels like a reasonable compromise.

==

That's my little theory list(s) laid out for all to see. Is it a practical list? Probably not. Will it win? Most likely not. Too many moving parts probably. Relies too much on getting the reserve rolls to bring in the Assault force. And should the Queen-Bee be taken down before the primary threats make land-fall... Well, that's A LOT of dead troops from the get-go.

Still, it seems like it'd be fun to play and, in my opinion, feels like a suitable Vanguard Invasion force list that isn't a mass spam of Lictors and Genestealers.

My question is: Has anyone run a list similar to this? Any success? Any tips? Opinions? Closest I've come to a victory is managing to gamble on a Game End roll and succeeding, leading to a Draw game against the Boys in Blue, so I'd really like to show them true fear by refining a useable list.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts