Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick quote from the article to sum things up.

(CNN) -- Genetics pioneer J. Craig Venter announced Thursday that he and his team have created artificial life for the first time.

Using sequences of genetic code created on a computer, the team assembled a complete DNA of a bacterium, then inserted it in another bacterium and initiated synthesis, or in Venter's words "booted up" the cell.
It's hard to really explain it all, but I think some of you will find this CNN article interesting.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
damn, nice find mate. where do you stand on this issue though Holmstrom?

i think its great that mankind can create microscopic life. i hope this will not be used as a weapon but doubt governments wont militarize it whenever feasiable.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Did this not happen a few weeks ago?

I don't have any problem with this, basically what they've been doing is cataloging all these different genes and storing them on a computer. Now they've used this computer to create a string of genes that hasn't occurred naturally (at least in our knowledge) and propagated it in a cell that reproduced.

Or in layman's terms, "we've figured out how to break apart the lego house of life into it's bricks and make a shack with them. Maybe in the future we'll make a skyscraper..."

Because this cell they've made is extremely primitive, and they keep talking about these amazing things they can do. Looooong way off yet :p

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
they created life years ago. Scientists where able to recreate the smallest Cell in the human body(the male sperm cell) in a lab with the use of Stem cells. They are now working on other things and they belive that they might be able to grow parts of the Liver for transplants.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah. They have been doing this for over a decade, but I find it strange that it suddenly popped up on a news network the other month. Really nothing major as far as genetic engineering's past accomplishments in a sense. Still, the fact that legitimate scientists are no longer being ridiculed for their engineering work is the biggest thing you can see from this article.

Stella - If you want to bash CNN, go right ahead. I won't lose any sleep over it. I've wandered through dozens of other articles covering the exact same thing, albeit on a less flashy level. One article on this topic is as good as any. Regardless. It has served its purpose in spawning a current events discussion.

What do I think of all of this? I'll say that I'm 100% for genetic engineering. I don't think the term 'playing God' should be on any scientists mind. With an advanced state of technology, Humans could even be modified to be immune to many diseases as one prime example. I wouldn't want such a thing to go to waste just because of religious/superstitious speculation. The longterm welfare of our species, as I've said many times before, should be at the forefront of every persons mind. Research like this is invaluable.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
they created life years ago. Scientists where able to recreate the smallest Cell in the human body(the male sperm cell) in a lab with the use of Stem cells. They are now working on other things and they belive that they might be able to grow parts of the Liver for transplants.
It's not the same thing. These scientists have taken a bunch of nucleotides (the building blocks of DNA/RNA) and constructed an artificial genome one base-pair at a time.

I read about this a while ago. You have to give these people credit. They didn't just cut up a bunch of bacterial genomes and stick them together. They created this genome from scratch, not just the protein encoding parts (arguably the more simple part), but also all the operons, promotor regions, up and downstream expression controls, repressors and inducers. Keep in mind in a natural genome these things can be all jumbled up together, and a small change in one part of a genome can affect the amount of gene expression in another.

It's an amazing achievement, it also puts us a small step closer to finally killing the notion that only god is capable of having created something as complex as life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts