Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks more and more to me like GW are using the SWs to shepherd in the 40k end times. Pretty much every SW release in the last couple of years, be it novel or codex, has made a big play on them being convinced that the coming of the Wolftime is imminent. Does the return of the Wulfen in the new campaign book presage a return of Russ, and the start of the Endtimes?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
And Chaos are about to take Cadia, and the Blood Angels are all falling back to Baal for Ka'banda's huge invasion, and the Orks are about to take Armageddon, and Hive Fleet Leviathan is closing in on Terra.

I wouldn't worry about it, the timeline's been stuck at 999.M41 for a while now.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't have to do it on the same scale as they did with WFB. They own most of the copyrights to the various races, so don't have to reinvent the whole system. Considering just how bad AoS seems to have bombed I don't think they'd go as wholesale

While they have had it on the brink for a while, it's only in the SW stuff that they are actually outright saying "yup, this is it, we're fucked."

·
Registered
326 Posts
They could both progress the story and keep things more or less how they are. They could have an event that appears to be the end times, and change things up in the setting, but not actually have the end.

Stuff like, have Baal get overrun but the BA survive as a fleet based chapter intent on taking it back, or what if Leman Russ comes back to usher in the end times only to be a Chaos imposter trying to lead SW astray, or something. I don't want the AoS treatment but I do want the story to move forward. I think you could have a sort of minor apocalypse that changes the status quo without destroying the universe. Aren't there novels written that take place after the turn of the millennium anyway?

·
Registered
75 Posts
GW makes too much money off 40k for it to AoS it in my mind, but who knows?

I like when stories progress.
Yeah. Wasn't one of the reasons for the AoS debacle that WHF sales were dropping? Not that I have a source for it, might just be conjecture on my part that I misremember now.

And what codex/books are we talking about here (I haven't read any of the LEs)?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head, the current SW codex, the Ragnar Blackmane novella by ADB, both of Wraight's SW novels, and a lot of the digital shorts. But they aren't small asides, there are actual conversations about it being on the cards. And now we have the long prophesied return of the Wulfen.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
A return of the wulfen/13th company around the time that Abaddon's thirteenth black crusade is supposed to be happening.

Hm..sounds awfully familiar and not an ushering of end times to me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A return of the wulfen/13th company around the time that Abaddon's thirteenth black crusade is supposed to be happening.

I assume you are implying this is a chaos trick of some sort. What do you mean it is familiar? Has that happened before with new minis? I just haven't been in the game long enough to know what you mean, haha.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 13th Black Crusade has been going on since 2004, and is still a major focus for BL. Sure, it's nothing new, but like I said, major characters like Ragnar, Njal and Ulrick are actually addressing the issue in these novels. Yeah, the SWs are a superstitious bunch, but the fact the various pieces are written by different authors, as opposed to just a single author deciding to run a theme through his various works, just has me thinking there might a bigger plan going on in the background.

Besides, up to now we've barely seen mention of the wulfen, even in the original 13th black crusade works. They were deliberately kept vague and secretive. Now they appear to be getting their own supplement, which might hopefully answer some of these questions.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
the fact the various pieces are written by different authors, as opposed to just a single author deciding to run a theme through his various works
Isn't BL kind of notorious for authours not communicating well between each other when writing on the same theme? Maybe I am just seeing all the hate mongering against BL online and my view has become tainted....

heh.....'taint'ed. I've been watching those Deadpool ads a bit too much.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Should add this note. The recent space wolf saga that is ongoing with just the 8th installment missing, is set in the past. A careless inclusion of a certain character in the first part pretty much ruined the suspense for me.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah. Wasn't one of the reasons for the AoS debacle that WHF sales were dropping? Not that I have a source for it, might just be conjecture on my part that I misremember now.

As far as I know the main reason for AOS was that they wanted to increase sales.

So instead of having to buy two battalions and a commander and a codex, each box would be playable on it's own.

Sort of ironic that it ended up alienating the guys buying 2000 point armies now that they just wasted their money.

I know I'm annoyed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.