Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second go at Dark Elves. Partly because my old army doesn't hold up to what I can do these days, and partly because I am liking the new models.

Themed as followers of Mathlann (the elven god of the deep).

Yes, the rank and file have blue helms with purple plumes while the champion has his hair died blue (but no helm).
Also giving them a scale look on the back of their cloaks. I will probably paint and shields in this way too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I actually like the idea of painted armor. It might not be the most realistic, but this also fantasy and elves... so they do what they want. :) I am trying not to use a single drop of metallic paint on this entire army. Plus, some armies/units could get trapped in being dark and not popping... even if otherwise well painted... so this route just avoids that entirely. Plus I like the color scheme too.

There's a test warlock.

Still going for non-metallic metals as intimidating as it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind I use gray primer (when painting it prevents making stuff too bright as with black primer or too dark as with white primer... and I have yet to find white primer worth a bottlecap).

I use skavenblight dinge, and throw a black wash on it. I might do a little shading if it is a larger area (as with the Black Guard) with the dark gray base color that GW has.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

More Warlocks done. Each one takes roughly a day's worth of work to do (I'm on winter break right now).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I finally have the banner for the Black Guard painted. This may well be the way my banners look in the army. I had trouble coming up with what I wanted to paint for it, until I had some inspiration last night and painted the banner.

Reactions: Iraqiel

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I am expected at least one reference to Cthulhu from you!

Very 'ocean' colours, I flicked through the pictures before I read any of your words and definitely got that vibe.

My one gripe is the green metal plating. Might be worth edging it in white to help distinguish the green armour from the green cloth. This is a tiny detail, though - and could be far more obvious IRL than on camera.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
What a subtly and well painted banner, bravo! I really like your work here Swiss, keep it up!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you! :D The banner now has his top! There's some Cthulhu for you. :)

Also, converted up a sorceress from the dragon kit that I converted a Chaos Dragon out of a few years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts