Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so for a good few months now i have been getting sick to death of painting power armor. But i still love my space marines. However earlier this week i finally took a leap and jumped headfirst into the xenos races for 40K. Ive always been an imperium man and only ever rarely do I venture into the heretical realms of chaos but this is something completely different for me. Im not going to say what it is just yet. Ive made a Promise to myself that i will have at least 500 pts painted before I reveal it to my friends at home. but you guys will get a bit of a sneak peek. I should have the first model assembles and painted over this weekend and posted up. Until then enjoy your weekend fellas.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I'm intrigued :)
And so, I await the big reveal! :good:

EDIT: Post 6,000! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Very interested to see what xeno it will be. Hopefully you will enjoy it more than your beakies.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly there is no prize but you are correct KF. It is indeed the Tau. I debated this over and over between Tau and Eldar but finally settled for taking the path of the greater good.

Ive got my first mini assembled and base coated. IM thinking of going with dark green or possibly olive armor and a brown for all the cloth sections.

Not that i think i will enjoy these more than my marines but they will present a new challegne for me. Ive always played this game with the mindset that even the smallest battle was for the good of the Imperium (kind of lame but its what drew me into the game). Now i want to see the other side of it. While i technically have a Chaos army (as well as orks) The Tau present a good opportunity to try something completely new. With my marines I never had to worry about armor saves or hitting anybody with shooting (or melee for that matter) I knew everything was going to be average which affected the way I play the game. Now I have to think about the game in a completely different way which will Definitely affect how i play the game. However this will also let me take advantage of MANY modeling and conversion opportunities offered by the Tau. Imperial i or chaos is easy. Slap enough aquilas or Chaos symbols on and call it a day. Orks are fairly easy as well.

While i have to try and focus on my SM bikes over the weekend i want to try and have that fireblade finished by the end of it. Pics of everything will be up as i work ove the weekend.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I know most people probably thought this big had a little promise then no more updates. Sorry for the wait but I finally have something to show for the effort I've put into it. My first units are finished and I'm actually pretty happy with the results. Learning how to paint a whole new army was hard as hell. Still is if I'm being honest. But I like the look that I achieved. The brown and green scheme that I originally had looked...... like shit. I was going to change it to a blue but accidentally used druchii in stead of drakenhof to shade with and liked the way it came out. From there I just went with colours that seemed like they would for hence the blue weapons. Id really alleviate any feedback you guys may have on this. Does it work? Does it look like crap? Did I somewhat decently pull it of?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think the colours go very well together and the painting is real good to. Love the decloak effect the stealthsuites. Though I feel the weapons need a contrast colour that makes it blend with the rest of the models. Might try purple or black on some details. Right now the guns are just blue.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
You have some very nice contrasts on your models and you've got a damn good dusty cloak effect on that last guy. It's nice to see some alternative versions of the color themes on Tau!

However the stealth effect, while good in theory, doesn't quite get there in my opinion. I know exactly what effect you're going for, but I find them looking more color confused than thinking they're dumping their stealth. For a effect like that to kick in, I think you need to work more with color blends and possible some OSL, instead of the hard lines that you have currently used, simulating the reflected light fading.

Keep up the good work though!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Im do really like the way they came out at least with the armor. Im trying to find a way to adapt that same pattern to vehicles and drones that doesnt make it look like they were painted by a four year old. The face on the fire blade is probably the best face i have ever done and im stoked with it (i realize the pic is blurry as hell).
@Moriouce i sat there trying to figure out how i would do the guns but couldnt come up with anything so i went for a blue drybrushed with a lighter blue. however i think im going to pick out some of the details in a ligther blue to create a little better contrast on the gun itself. I think if i were to use Purple or Black to do that it wouldn't go so well with the rest of the model. I want the guns to stand out on the models. but i definetly agree that looking at it now they are just blue guns.
@Nordicus honestly this was my first attempt at any Special effect and i did learn alot from the experience. Ive seen some other (more successful) ways of doing it and i think i will be trying to go along those routes. Im absolutely terrible at OSL so that option is out. as for blending the colors Im trying to figure out how to do this without the entire model looking like crap. im not sure what it is but i just cant seem to get the grasp of some of these techniques.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts