Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the tyranids color scheme, but I think you should try a larger model to figure out what tertiary colors you'll be using for spot details and such.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
try a larger model to figure out what tertiary colors you'll be using for spot details and such.
I'd love to be able to do that and I may just go out and get a carnifex or some Hive Guard to try it out but with a closet full of unpainted space marines I don't want to get bogged down with Tyranids. For the moment they serve as the occasional distraction when I'm tired of painting power armor. Which also reminds me i need to start a backlog on here so I can stay current.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
So I goofed... and then I panicked and cut off way more than i was intending to... and now i have no idea how to fix this. Green stuff is always a possibility but im awful at it, anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You could do some sort of flat and thick coupling to minimize on the detail needed for the fix, like a rectangle of a sort that side A goes into and side B comes out of. As for waiting for it to cure, I hear you. I often try to have a few things on the go at a time (not hard with this hobby) so that I can set it down and immerse my hobby attentions elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Don't know if this will help, but I used (bush wacker) strimmer chord on this power fist conversion, it's quite malleable and comes in different thickness.

It's good to see your stuff again.
Thanks its nice to be working on minis again! Unfortunately you've been struck with the same photo bucket BS that the rest of us have so i cant see the image :(

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Another Saturday done and I've got an update! Third company has finally recieved some much needed reinforcements in the fight against the filthy Xenos and the traitorous Heretics. Some Grav cannon and Las cannon goodnes along with a missle launcher for good measure. Along with the weapons the welcome five brothers as full marines along with a veterans promotion to brother sergeant.

But they are not alone. they are joined by the first wave of Primaris marines of original stock. They have been dormant for millennia and have finally been awakened by Cawl to serve their chapter once more.

The Sentinels of Terra begin their slow methodical return to war.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #271 (Edited)
Bit of a poo pic, I'll get a better one but you should get the idea.
I dont know how but somehow i completely missed this post. Thats a great idea though and ill have to give it a go sometime.

I managed to finish my first batch of Primaris Marines as well, and im very happy with how they turned out especially considering how quickly i got them done.

I think a paradigm shift for how I paint is in order. Where once upon a time I would focus on only a specific set of minis at a time I now think that having two or three painting projects going at the same time might be the best solution. It helps if those projects are from different armies as well. Ive found that breaking up the tedium of painting one type of figure with another, especially if it has a completely different style to it helps quite a bit.

Ive been working on writing up my backlog but I'm nowhere near finished with it yet but suffice to say its quite a few minis. but here's whats on the painting bench for this month. This Vindicator has been sitting idle for years with no paint on it and i figured it was time to fix that. This will be the first fully painted tank ill be able to put into my army as well.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The yellow is looking sharp! Very smooth! Have you thought about adding some more chipping on the shoulder pads, arms, and greaves to match up a little more with how much muck is on the boots? Either way, looking great!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
The yellow is looking sharp! Very smooth! Have you thought about adding some more chipping on the shoulder pads, arms, and greaves to match up a little more with how much muck is on the boots? Either way, looking great!
I want to but truth be told I have a tendency to go overboard with that stuff. I did on my earlier squads and while they look good it causes the model to become a little too busy. I might try again when I do an actual tactical squad again just to see how the effect holds up. Any tips for not overdoing it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Less is definitely more with the weathering. I tend to try to only put one or two scratches tops on any given plate, and focus on the sharpest raised edges-- the elbow, the rims of the shoulder pads, and the top of the hand for the gauntlets. It's also pretty easy to soften up the weathering if it's too harsh with a little bit of powdered pastels-- you just have to seal the model afterwards. I'm also a big fan of Tamiya Weathering Master-- you can just work that stuff into recesses with the makeup sponge they come with, and it leaves a great finish every time.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Less is definitely more with the weathering. I tend to try to only put one or two scratches tops on any given plate, and focus on the sharpest raised edges-- the elbow, the rims of the shoulder pads, and the top of the hand for the gauntlets. It's also pretty easy to soften up the weathering if it's too harsh with a little bit of powdered pastels-- you just have to seal the model afterwards. I'm also a big fan of Tamiya Weathering Master-- you can just work that stuff into recesses with the makeup sponge they come with, and it leaves a great finish every time.
Going to give this a try then I've got some of the Tamiya weathering stuff so it would be a good time to give it a go
@Entarion what kind of sponge do you use?
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Its the Lego Saturn V Kit. Its been sold out on the online store for months. I was lucky to be one of the few that managed to pick one up from my local Lego Store. They sell out REALLY fast despite being a 120$ Kit. You can find them on amazon or ebay but youve got to pay a markup/ Try calling your local store to see if they have any in stock.
That does look cool... do you have a link for purchase? I always sort of wanted to make a shuttle with the big orange fuel stores, or a USSR version of what you've got!

261 - 280 of 280 Posts