Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gaming group has decided that we are going to start playing army levels based off of fully painted units. We are starting at 400 points (combat patrol) because we have some newcomers that don't have a lot and we don't want to beat them down with psychic powers just yet.

I want to make the most out of my painted units. right now I am good through 750 points (i think) with these 2 lists:

400 Points (combat Patrol)
45 - lone wolf w/frastblade
160 - grey hunters w/2 plasma guns
60 - landspeeder w/2 heavy bolters
135 - long fangs w/1 heavy bolter & 4 missle launchers

750 Points (standard)
125 - rune priest w/plasma pistol
160 - grey hunters w/2 plasma guns
250 - blood claws w/power fist, flamer, & meltagun
155 - long fangs w/1 las cannon & 4 missle launchers

I'm pretty happy with these two lists. i am going for more of a shooty + counter assault list with these guys. where I need help is progressing further. these are my last 2 lists:

1000 points (standard)
125 - rune priest
200 - grey hunters w/Power weapon, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol, & wolf standard
200 - grey hunters w/Mark of the wulfen, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol, & wolf standard
35 - rhino

1500 points (standard)
110 - rune priest w/chooser of the slain
115 - wolf priest w/plasma pistol
105 - dreadnaught
105 - dreadnaught w/multi-melta
200 - grey hunters w/Power weapon, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol, & wolf standard
200 - grey hunters w/Mark of the wulfen, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol, & wolf standard
70 - 2 rhinos
70 - 2 drop pods

now I am wondering if mabe i could be spending my points better on something other than the dreds and the extra land speeder. also would it be better to add the 2nd grey hunters pack at 1500 instead of at 1000 points? men are not an issue. i have plenty for more troops, scouts, or wolf gaurd. i am limited to 3 dreds 3 landspeeders 6 rhino chasies, and one leman russ that has been converted to a TL las pred w/HB sponsens.

remember that i im trying to ramp up a single force with this. also, iff you think that something may be added to early (like to my 750 list) let me know and i can change that around too. I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would post these individually, 4 lists may be a bit much. Especially since most need a major face lift. I need to go to work in about 5 mins so I will just leave you with a List of what not to use.

Lone wolves
Any dread other than a Rifleman (some may say otherwise.)
Wolf Priests
Blood claws
Plasma weapons on GH
PW on GH (S4 PW isn't worth it but it isn't a huge deal.)
Heavy Bolters

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
im assuming your useing a full 10 models for everything. Melta = Flamer > plasma, Plasma guns are, by far, the WORST gun in a Wolf list, since even with our gunline lists, we tend to be up in our opponents face, in which a melta for half the points that can destroy all but a monolith for tanks, is far better.

that being said, no wolf guard pack leaders? im ashamed at you. even with the extra special weapon, 2 powerfist attacks and the extra LD is worth it. Take it from me, a tourny SW player.

Blood claws? really? drop these and put the points into more Grey hunters if you want more troops. Blood claws have NO use aside from a very weak +1 attack on the charge only. If your gunlining your opponent, having the boltguns and bolt pistols > just bolt pistols that if you dont have a leader in said squad cant shoot within 6 inches for the blood lust. the 3 WS, though you might still be hitting most people on a 4+ you will probably be hit on a 3+ thus your survivability is way down. they cant have wolf standards so theres another hinderance.

MotW is worth the points, dont see why you dont have it.

whats going in the drop pods? dreads? Id say drop 1 or both dreads. aswell, they are ok, but not great.

Land speeders are, in my opinion, best Equiped for the 70 point spec of HF + MM, you can take out horde or tanks with them that way.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey if this is just for fun and narrative play, then no worries...

But if you want to fine tune this to maximize it's output, then you have some real issues.

1. Long fangs... 5 Missile Launcher... Adding a heavy bolter don't make sense, Las is too expensive. They win by torrenting... and you pay lots more for one more str.
2. Rune Priest = Win, RP with plasma pistol = points that should have gone somewhere else.
3. Blood claws suck.... Marines hit you an a 3+
4. Your troops need melta
5. Speeders need melta. Melta + Missiles gives your speeder the ability to add to firepower... Melta + HF lets you attack hordes.
6. At 1500, you have almost no ranged firepower... I think you need more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I will tell you that you are in the correct place to find help for your lists. You will def. need fire support in order to play games that you will win once in awhile, ecspecially against guys like these who are giving you tips. Don't forget though to add some flavor into your lists! Lone Wolves and other specialty characters are cool and fun.

Rune Priests with Plasma pistols and plasma pistols that kill your marines are not worth it and Blood Claws are pretty silly.

Personally I hate the all Long Fangs with missile launcher fire line but it is the most effective. I feel there should be a little individuality there. I mean if HQs have to have different gear why not the Long Fangs who are the granddaddys stuck in the old ways.

Have fun Building!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Because a 6 man squad with 1 ml, 1hb, 1lc, 1mm, 1pc, and one..... Oh wait.

If you can't tell the oh wait was because it sucks.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
you are so smart James, no wonder I kept having issues before! >.> lmao

(and if you cant tell, thats scarcasm)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, this is a fun list. i see your points with this and will have to reconsider a lot. i think i am going to keep the blood claws because of fluff. should i add them only at the 1500 point level with the wolf priest? also dropping the pods and walking the GH i will add some wolf guard with powerfists. should i ditch the dreads for a heaver support like a pred w/auto+HB? or go with las?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts