Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a little fun with my two current armies and realized they both used dreadnoughts. My thoughts? 7th edition dreadnoughts are back! I ran and Iron Hand drop pod dread army in 6th that still worked well. So never being one to go halfassed, I decided to take the Champions of Fenris supplement and make an all dreadnought force with some forgeworld backup. It was supposed to just be light fun, but turns out, it's quite a deadly force. Here it is at 1750.

HQ: 270
Bjorn (Assault Cannon, Lucius Drop Pod)

Elite: 1280
Rifleman Dread (Drop Pod w/ DWML)
Murderfang (Lucius Drop Pod)
Siege Dread
Siege Dread
Venerable Dread (MM, HF, Drop Pod w/ DWML)
Venerable Dread (MM, HF, Drop Pod w/ DWML)

Fast: 100
Drop Pod w/ DWML
Drop Pod w/ DWML

Heavy: 100
Deathstorm Drop Pod (Whirlwind ML, Drop Pod Assault)

=1750

For those who don't know, the Deathstorm drops D3 whirlwind templates on every unit within 12" the turn it comes in. The Lucius lets the dread stay embarked, has Shrouded, and is an assault vehicle for the turn two charge, and the Siege Dread has a flamestorm cannon like a redeemer and a seige drill that gives 2d6 to pen to buildings and stationary vehicles with a built in HF that also hits everyone inside a building or vehicle that gets a pen hit from the drill.

Let me know what I can do to make this better. I normally don't use forgeworld, but I needed something to kill marines in volume and keep murderface from dying. I also don't want anything without an AV value as this is a very themed list. I've explored some iron hands options and even thought about some BA options. I'm just not sold on either YET because of the infantry requirement. But my mind can always be changed. Let me know what I'm lacking here!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ran this list tonight against a GK purifier/razorback list. I killed 520 points worth of models on the drop and cause 4 hull points on 4 different razors. Sadly, I STILL didn't get first blood! The deathstorm and siege dreads are absolute beasts. Then the tide started to turn as I started losing hull points to lascannons, psycannons, and twin-linked plasma. Once the S10 hammers started rolling, backed by krak grenades it was all over. I conceeded at the end of turn 4. It was purge the alien and he had already gotten 7 KPs to my 2. Damn those fearless purifiers. They don't run!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I wish BA could still run a massive Dreadnought army and have it bound. Ah well.

If you ever did think of adding BA to this list (and including the requisite infantry models) Furiosos are bad ass. I play two out of Drop Pods with Frag Cannons and Heavy Flamers every time and every time I have my opponent balk at the fact that there's 3 templates. Most recently, I had one take out a unit of 20 Cultists to a man because the dude rushed them up on an objective in a tight group and my Pod didn't scatter enough that I couldn't disembark template death upon them.

This list would be super fun to face, it'd really put my anti-armour mindset to test.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I do miss the BA dread lists. I read the rumors before the new BA dex came out and found that Libbienought was going to be a no shit HQ and got all excited. Then they killed it. And my cheap fast razorbacks. And my assault squads as troops. And my DC as troops... I hate them.

Anywho.... I really wanted to make this an Iron Hands list because they do dreads better than anyone (aside from the furioso and DC dreads that are limited). But SW can bring 9. More if the points are high enough. But there is a detachment in exterminatus that will let you bring 14 very specific elites slots. But, with the exception of a manditory terminator captain, chaplain, or librarian can bring up to 6 Furiosos and any dedicated transports.... tee hee hee. I may try it, just for fun.

And no fair loading up on anti-tank! The whole point of the list is to be a 1 hit wonder that nobody saw coming!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I have gotta check out the Shield of Baal books to see what's up for my red marines. I was going to mention that detachment, but didn't know you needed to take infantry models for it to work.

Say, since none of them are going to get Objective Secured anyway, why not just play Unbound?

I've always played a heavy amount of anti tank because of how my friend played all of his various armies. I needed every unit to be able to deal with high AV targets in whatever faculty their wargear allowed....then I started playing at the local GW as well and I started to have to involve more infantry killers. Enter the Fragiosos :grin:

The guitar is my Gibson SG3 faded, with a modified pickup selector and added in toggle for more pickup-related fun. It's a workhorse of a guitar, and has done me well for the last 7 years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can't do unbound. It started as a total personal choice, but my play group has adopted it. The only time we'd overlook it is for new players with limited collections.

Shield of Baal is okay. The formations aren't the greatest but the detachments are pretty decent. I take that back. Unless you love terminators, the Flesh Tearer's have the decent detachment. Lets me bring all my assault units again.

I used to bring a bunch of anti-tank. But I'm the only one that brings AV14 in my group. We are very xenos heavy.

Gibsons are sweet dude. I played electric when I first started, but our bands were terrible. Made a good run doing acoustic solo stuff in bars for a few years. I'm an ibanez guy myself though. Just can't afford the good stuff like gibson and taylors.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
My Deathwing army satisfies my need for Terminators....though there's a squad of Imperial Fists and Grey Knights in the mix as well. I was actually really disappointed that the new BA Terminators have the backs attached to the legs already. I'm loathe to spend ~70 clams on a box I know I'll have to cut up.

My buddy ran through 'Nids, Orks, and Guard before settling on CSM. The last two were the ones I needed all the anti armour for, and took up the majority of our games. When I was facing down the barrel of a wall of AV14 'what, you have power armour?' tanks I started incorporating Drop Pods and Stormravens into my lists, as well as MGs in basically every squad because it was necessary for survival. Really I still equip my squads with PFs and MGs wherever I can, but I also try to include some horde-thinners like Baal Predators and Fragiosos (who also double for anti armour at charge range, specially since Magna-Grapples changed ever so slightly).

I feel you on the solo acoustic stuff, that's the only way I ever made money gigging as a musician. Teaching is my regular cheque, my band is pretty much just for fun despite out longevity and following. Ibanez make some pretty hefty pieces of instrument, though they definitely have a nicer introductory line than Gibson does in Epiphone. Even Gibson has fallen off in the last decade or two, I have a Blues King acoustic from '06 and have had many problems over the years with the bridge and neck (stable and sturdy now, thanks to acute care) and I've also noticed a distinct drop off in the quality of their pickups for guitars both electric (under the $1500 price tag) and acoustic (even so far as up to the $2500 price range). I truly do feel that they are a company entirely based on their place in guitar history, and the stuff they've been putting out isn't keeping up with other company's innovation and cost effectiveness.

....while I still love my SG and acoustic like no other guitars, it has very little to do with the name on the head stock.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Ran this list tonight against a GK purifier/razorback list. I killed 520 points worth of models on the drop and cause 4 hull points on 4 different razors. Sadly, I STILL didn't get first blood! The deathstorm and siege dreads are absolute beasts. Then the tide started to turn as I started losing hull points to lascannons, psycannons, and twin-linked plasma. Once the S10 hammers started rolling, backed by krak grenades it was all over. I conceeded at the end of turn 4. It was purge the alien and he had already gotten 7 KPs to my 2. Damn those fearless purifiers. They don't run!
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2006210#post2006210

I call your bluff!

Nah, test games against yourself do have a place; Throne knows I've done it often enough :victory:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do play a lot of test games against myself. I just never can out think myself. There's always that one list you want to see win more than the other and without proper discipline will tend to err in their favor. Sometimes even subconsciously. So I go and grab my buddy David who's brother got me into the game 15 years ago. He got his brother in. He doesn't have an army anymore, doesn't play or read about the game much, so it ends up me telling him what he should do anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts