Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems pointless doing a SW list with rumours of a new codex AND new rulebook coming soon but here goes.

Logan
Wolf Guard 4 Combi Meltas
Wolf Guard 2 TA THSS
Drop pod

Wolf Guard 2 TA THSS
Rune Priest 1 Chooser
Wolf Guard 5 Combi Plasmas
Drop pod

Wolf Guard 2 TA THSS
Rune Priest 1
Wolf Guard 5 Combi Plasmas
Drop pod

Wolf Guard 1 TA THSS
Grey Hunter 8 Flamer
Drop pod

ADL Quad Gun
Wolf Guard 1 TA CML
Long Fangs 6 ML
Drop pod

Comes to 1846 points

Grey Hunters and empty Long Fangs drop pod in reserve.

Never played space wolves before so open to lots of advice.

I have 2 terms in each pod to soak up firepower. Didn't think one would be enough.
Can a Wolf Guard in terminator armour fire a cyclone missile launcher and use the quad gun?
I have plasmas on the guard with the rune priest as was giving him Divination so they can re roll those ones.
Would have liked some actual wolves in the Space Wolves army but not sure they are a viable option, unless maybe thunderwolves.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey there, I'm no pro, but here's my opinions:

Personally, I've never found Wolf Guard worth their cost, and double that for their termie armor. Some terminators might be good with storm shields to protect your rune priests, but that's all I would use them for.

I also find Logan too expensive. He's super fun to field, but once he's removed from the board... there will be nothing but tears knowing that there goes almost 300pts...

If you want to pack a real punch, look at Canis and the Thunderwolf Cavalry. Again, in my opinion, they are the greatest unit our Space Wolves have to offer.

As far as Troops go, I use Grey Hunters and take advantage of the free weapon rule. I always take 10, "buy" a flamer and take a plasmagun or meltagun for free. I've looked everywhere, and I don't see anywhere that says the cheaper weapon is the free one, and I always let my opponent know that's what I've done, and no one has fought me on it. But with the flamer/plasma combo, you can drop pod near whatever you want, and stay close and use the flamer and plasma to pressure your opponent into cc, when you get d3 auto hits in overwatch and use of counter-attack. Now if you ever want to switch from Drop Pods to Rhinos I would consider going melt/plasma or plasma/plasma and make use of the 2 fire points.

A couple things to think about with the Rune Priests; if you take Canis, you can take wolves as troops (granted they're not scoring) as cheap "shields" for your RPs. Also, Living Lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf are simply the 2 greatest powers they have access to.

When it comes to Long Fangs, you can use the squad leader on the quad gun since he doesn't get a heavy weapon anyways. And Long Fangs definitely have their place and ML are definitely the most recommended heavy weapon for them, but from my experience, they've only helped maybe 3 or 4 times out of EVERY game I've used them in over the years.

And I have to say I'm not sure if you can use a cyclone ml & a quadgun... if you want to be super rules lawyer-y, it says "A Terminator can fire his cyclone missile launcher in addition to his storm bolter." So someone could say that you can only fire the CML with SB.

So with that, I hope you found a useful nugget or two in there! Good luck, Battle Brother!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts