Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some thoughts on a 1500 list for my wolves coming up soon. The tournament will include a comp score that will heavily influence the overall winner and when I say comp, I mean the organizers are looking for variety so I tried to take a 'balanced' approach to the list (whatever that means at this point). The comp score is completely subjective but is reviewed by 3 different judges. Any thoughts on it? I'm actively avoiding Rune Priests because I play a 'Khorne' themed list and as such, don't use Psykers! Any other comments would be much appreciated.

HQ

Wolf Lord: 245pts
Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Runic Armor, Thunderwolf Mount, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Wolfkin

Elite

Lone Wolf: 105pts
Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield, 2 Fenrisian Wolves

Troops

10 Grey Hunters: 175pts
2 Plasmaguns, Mark of the Wulfen
-Rhino: 35pts

10 Grey Hunters: 160pts
2 Meltaguns
-Drop Pod: 35pts

5 Grey Hunters: 75pts
Flamer

Fast Attack

4 Thunderwolf Cavalry: 260pts
2 Storm Shields

15 Fenrisian Wolves: 120pts

Heavy Support

5 Long Fangs: 170pts
3 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascnnons

Fortification
Bastion: 125pts
Quad Gun

So I plan to stick the Wolf Lord with the Fenrisian Wolves who will rush the field with the other Thunderwolves and Rhino. The Long Fangs and smaller Grey Hunters will be in the bastion and the drop pod of course will drop in and hit any big vehicles. The Lone Wolf will slowly work his way up the field. Thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am just starting a space wolves army myself so take any of my comments with a pinch of salt.

Personally two and a half troop choices seems a little light to me, with only one drop pod you probably won't get the turn one distraction you are looking for and could potentially cost your thunderwolves dearly.

The bastion will hopefully keep your five man squad safe but any deepstriking heavy hitters could leave them exposed and with your other two options being so vulnerable you would really have to hope your cavalry can put enough fear into your opponent to force them to make some poor targeting choices.

These points a very much a case of devils advocate, your list is certainly competitive but I think it would benefit from trying to cut out a few toys in order to bolster your troops in some way.

As I said I am a novice and am actually here looking for advice on the SW army I plan to start in the new year so take away what you will. Hope it is at least food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
HQ
Wolf Lord: 245pts
Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Runic Armor, Thunderwolf Mount, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Wolfkin
I'd definitely try to remove some of his gear to lower that price. He's tough, but at a sixth of your total points he's not that tough.

Elite
Lone Wolf: 105pts
Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield, 2 Fenrisian Wolves
Personally I do not like lone wolves, considering the points your spending on single models and they need to die before games end..yeah I'd recommend spending those points elsewhere.

Troops
10 Grey Hunters: 175pts
2 Plasmaguns, Mark of the Wulfen
-Rhino: 35pts
I wouldn't even bother with the wulfen here; your really not looking for close combat...

10 Grey Hunters: 160pts
2 Meltaguns
-Drop Pod: 35pts
...but here it might be useful; or a power weapon.

5 Grey Hunters: 75pts
Flamer
Maybe another plasmagun here? Since they are likely manning the bastion guns I don't any upgrades are necessary.

Fast Attack
4 Thunderwolf Cavalry: 260pts
2 Storm Shields
Not a lot of experience with these guys, so I'll hold off from commenting beyond the fact that these guys are rather expensive with a low body count.

15 Fenrisian Wolves: 120pts
Not a terrible choice, fairly cheap for what you want them to do.

Heavy Support
5 Long Fangs: 170pts
3 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascnnons
Good choice, the lascannons are a bit pricey but dedicated anti armour is not a bad thing.

Fortification
Bastion: 125pts
Quad Gun
Another good, I don't use them myself but a good number of guns and some anti air as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts