Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/seventh-retribution-ebook.html

I just noticed they have snuck out Seventh Retribution as a digital mondays early release. It is a full lenght book unlike the e-shorts normally published every monday.

Edit: Enjoying it so far, finding it a good read with a mystery pulling the reader onwards.

Edit 2: Theres some new and -QUITE- interesting lore suprises I certainly didn't see comming!

Edit 3: Finished it! A quite interesting plot that is quite reminding me of a few choice sci-fi movies. Which I shall not name here, due to the relation to the plot to keep the suprise. Suffice to say the title of the book have an impotant meaning.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Bean Counter should have been shit canned from BL a long time ago. Did a decent job with Galaxy in Flames, but that was his peak. Up there with CS Goto and Mitchell Scanlon as one of the worst writers they've ever had. The combination of him and the most grim, dour SM chapter of a grim dour universe just doesn't bode well for an entertaining read. The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bean Counter should have been shit canned from BL a long time ago. Did a decent job with Galaxy in Flames, but that was his peak. Up there with CS Goto and Mitchell Scanlon as one of the worst writers they've ever had. The combination of him and the most grim, dour SM chapter of a grim dour universe just doesn't bode well for an entertaining read. The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.
I think the book is better than you give it credit for, honestly. But if you are undecided, wait for other oppinions. But mine is quite favorable. I find it have a lot of evocative imagery, being quite far from the super common bleak and grey battlefield so prevalent in wh40k novels.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I have had this thing for a while waiting for it to be read, but I haven`t dared touch after the god awful Lysander story in Architect of Fate..

But as Khorne's Fist said, it baffles me how the guy has not been booted from the game yet.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
But as Khorne's Fist said, it baffles me how the guy has not been booted from the game yet.
Van Horstmann. Daemon World. The Grey Knights Trilogy. Soul Drinkers. Those are the reasons why. Galaxy in Flames wasn't the best book and Battle for the Abyss is the weakest HH novel I agree, but he is a good author. If you don't care for him then so be it, but others like me do.

The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.
Ben Counter writes good dialogue, and one of the best speeches ever in 40k is his.

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."​

Truly epic. A moment when it's impossible to not be impressed by the Grey Knights. And by humanity for having these champions among it.

LotN

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van Horstmann. Daemon World. The Grey Knights Trilogy. Soul Drinkers. Those are the reasons why. Galaxy in Flames wasn't the best book and Battle for the Abyss is the weakest HH novel I agree, but he is a good author. If you don't care for him then so be it, but others like me do.

Ben Counter writes good dialogue, and one of the best speeches ever in 40k is his.

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."​

Truly epic. A moment when it's impossible to not be impressed by the Grey Knights. And by humanity for having these champions among it.

LotN
Yep, people is dissing on Ben Counter far too readilly because of one sour grape. Which I personally didn't find as bad as people likes to shout about. Memorable characters such Mhotep or Skrall really carrying that book.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I am starting Van Hortsmann tonight after i finish Death of Antagonis. I have been impressed with Anandales shorts, and so far, Antagonis is up there with Helsreach as a page turner. I want to get van Hortsmann read before the second of CL Werners trilogy is released.

As to Ben Counter, he might occasionally wsrite decent stories, but they are not 40k and he has written some terrible stories in the past: grey knights trilogy being one. When i was like 14 they were pretty cool, but looking back, eh. That speech is utterly mediocre at best.

I know you dont read outside of BL lotn, but even among the shite that is turned out by mcneil, kyme and swallow, i struggle to find place for counter. I find goto easier these days. Backflipping terminators and all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I know you dont read outside of BL lotn, but even among the shite that is turned out by mcneil, kyme and swallow, i struggle to find place for counter. I find goto easier these days. Backflipping terminators and all.
Actually Vaz, I read outside of BL quite frequently. I have three filled bookcases in my house and only one of them is Black Library.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Lets get back on topic. Id love to hear from others whom have read Sevent Retribution. Bring it!
I'm planning to read it but I have heard very bad things from someone who actually has.

Liliedhe said:
Almost done with Seventh Retribution. Poor, poor damned Imperial Fists. They will never, ever get a good book.

And done. It ends on a nice bit of character development for Lysander. Too bad the plot that brought him there made no sense at all.
Dunno what to think of that. I'll definitely read the book myself, but that comparison that Lil makes does not inspire confidence.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Sons of Dorn wasnt that bad imo. Sure not toptier material, but not an outageously bad read.
Can't agree with you there. Tried that book, really really didn't like it.

LotN

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sounds like the fists have been fisted by BL again. Shame. One of my favourite chapters, they just keep getting given to upcoming but never getting there or falling star authors...

When will this epic chapter get the treatment they deserve? They still have one of my favourite 40k quotes of all time.

"Walls fail, Fist's do not" - Epic!!

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Did a decent job with Galaxy in Flames
Even that was mediocre. By far the weak link in the opening trilogy, despite False Gods.

There is no point even mentioning his other novel in the Heresy series... I guess theres a reason he hasn't made a single contribution to the series since...

The Grey Knights series (or what I managed to read of it) was shocking as well.

As a publisher, Black Library only currently maintains a couple of authors who could hold their weight outside the confines of the 40k fandom. No prizes for guessing who they are. 90% of BL's output is absolute shite in literary terms, yet they still maintain a loyal and hungry fanbase. Says a lot about us (and I only loosely include myself in that) I suppose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll def. get Seventh Retribution. I couldn't care less what other people think of it. I've had highly praised books recommended to me that were a struggle going through. What's really making me angry is the fact that some people just don't get that people have different tastes. Just because you think an author is crap doesn't mean others think he is. I for one enjoyed Galaxy in Flames, Grey Knights Omnibus and the Soul Drinkers novels. Van Horstmann is also a very good book.

Some of you remind me of old people who watch whole shows just so they have something to complain about. If I don't like something on TV I change the channel. If I don't like the works of an author I don't buy them. That doesn't mean I have to badmouth said author every chance I get.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll def. get Seventh Retribution. I couldn't care less what other people think of it. I've had highly praised books recommended to me that were a struggle going through. What's really making me angry is the fact that some people just don't get that people have different tastes. Just because you think an author is crap doesn't mean others think he is. I for one enjoyed Galaxy in Flames, Grey Knights Omnibus and the Soul Drinkers novels. Van Horstmann is also a very good book.

Some of you remind me of old people who watch whole shows just so they have something to complain about. If I don't like something on TV I change the channel. If I don't like the works of an author I don't buy them. That doesn't mean I have to badmouth said author every chance I get.

Well said, Thyr. For me Ben Counter have written a series of quite enjoyable books and I dont really get the hate on him. But Ill quite love to hear what you think of this one. Especially with the new lore in it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well said, Thyr. For me Ben Counter have written a series of quite enjoyable books and I dont really get the hate on him. But Ill quite love to hear what you think of this one. Especially with the new lore in it.
I'll let you know what I think of it but it's going to take a little while because I'm waiting for the dead tree version. Heh.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Some of us are bigger fans than the rest and expect ADB/Abnett quality at all times which shouldn't be that difficult if the passion and dedication to the IP is there.

To me, Ben Counter's writing isn't the main problem with his books, rather its the fluff inconsistencies that go against standard canon and above all logic.

The Grey Knight series for instance has Sisters of Battle, unaugmented humans, killing and wrestling Grey Knights to the ground.

That is unforgivable and has forever tarnished my view of Ben Counter and that is only one of the many fluff-crimes he's committed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts