Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 Wyches with Haywire Grenades, 60pts. Mount up in a Venom, throw yourself at a tank, wreck it, if your rolled high charge distance, trap some of the occupants for free kills.

I've heard a lot about these guys and how good they are at anti-tank. Experiences? Preferably views from across the table i.e. people who have fought against them, not with them.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
....and this is why the Dark Eldar scare me in 6th edition. They are a force to be recond with.

However on that note, would this work against Grey Knights? (Looks over at SM Army). HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEH :spiteful:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Bear in mind that a single unit of that is not going to survive long enough to cause problems. Cheap as hell, yes, but for assured results I found out to be wanting 2 of this unit!

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bear in mind that a single unit of that is not going to survive long enough to cause problems. Cheap as hell, yes, but for assured results I found out to be wanting 2 of this unit!
Oh, most certainly. That's the plan, if not 3, alongside deep striking Heat Lance scourges and the obligatory Dark Lance proliferation. :eek:k:

Thank you, gentlementlemen.

Midnight

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Eh, dark lance spam is just as good, possibly better, and much more difficult to deal with in my opinion. Shoot down the paper airplane the wyches are standing on and you have a bunch of wyches tuned purely to blow up a tank sitting in the open.

So if you can hide your transport and keep it from getting shot down instantly, then sure. Otherwise, use dark lances.

I had a unit of them almost make it to a ghost ark... Then I shot it down with one shot from a heat lance and killed the whole unit in one charge with 3 wraiths. Which brings up another important point, you can have a ridiculous number of dark lances in your army and they are usually attached to things that are difficult to deal with. Like the flying pointy thing. Or the other flying pointy thing. Or the slightly larger flying pointy thing. Look okay they all look similar to me! But the point is that your dark lances dont die when they kill something and that unit of wyches does.

·
Registered
113 Posts
....and this is why the Dark Eldar scare me in 6th edition. They are a force to be recond with.

However on that note, would this work against Grey Knights? (Looks over at SM Army). HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEH :spiteful:
TBF Grey knights are the absolute nightmare of DE, we have ridicilous anti-monster/light-vehicle which is pretty much the death of DE

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It is a cheap way to kill a tank, but is it going to work on an expensive, cornerstone enemy tank? Probably not, because it'll be bubblewrapped. Is it going to work on a less important tank? Sure. But you've sacrificed a Troops choice and their Venom (probably) to take out a less important vehicle.

Either way, doesn't seem like the best investment. Might work on one or two people, but they're useless against anyone who isn't running significant numbers of tanks - which is much more people these days.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I've tried it in a few games, and as a DE player I think it's just flat out good awful, it being cheap doesn't mitigate how bad I just think it is, and I'm someone who loves Haywire, I actually field Scourges for Haywire, but the suicide Wyches to me is pointless.

First up I've never been a fan of suicide squads for any armies, I'm sorry but I just don't agree with it.

Second, our transports are incredibly fragile, yes a Venom is fast, but can just get slaughtered from the midair it's zooming in.

If the Wyches reach the tank, yes low armoured stuff they will more often than not nuke the thing, but they need to reach it first. Then when they kill the tank, then what? They just sit and wait to be killed? Wyches aren't that good in combat, in such a small squad they can't tarpit all that well and can't kill worth a damn with so low numbers unless it's a small squad of gretchin.

That's a troop choice wasted. Plus it's not like we lack okay AT, Blasterborn, DL Warriors in a DL Raider, 3 DL Ravager, Razorwing, Haywire or Heat Lance Scourges, and if you really wanted it's not hard to pack in a solid amount of Lances, which are scary en mass, we can get an reasonable amount DL in just casualy without tailoring for Lances. Not only this they aren't wasted once they have taken down a single vehicle, yes you have the general issue with our low armoured vehicles, but if your a DE player your used to it so isn't much of a gripe success or not.

So nope don't see any point in suicide Wyches.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBF Grey knights are the absolute nightmare of DE, we have ridicilous anti-monster/light-vehicle which is pretty much the death of DE
How can you shoot your guns if you're out of range, Mr. Anderson?

I compared Wyches to Blasterborn, and... Well, I compared Wyches to Blasterborn. Maybe next edition, Wyches.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I miss fielding my Wyches as anything more than an Objective sitter, cowering behind an Aegis. And Kabalites can do the same but have range to affect the battle. But in 5th, my Wyches got so bloody, thanks mostly to Webway Portals. I've even had them hold up Grey Knight Terminators while waiting for the Incubi to arrive. And I suppose they still can, but with everything needing a transport now ... I've switched to an almost completely gun-line list.

If you field Wyches, do squads of 10 for combat against close combat weak Objective holders or units like Havocs and Devastators. I do still take Haywire Grenades should the opportunity to pop a tank present itself. Just remember that the tank doesn't yield a Pain Token.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you field Wyches, do squads of 10 for combat against close combat weak Objective holders or units like Havocs and Devastators. I do still take Haywire Grenades should the opportunity to pop a tank present itself. Just remember that the tank doesn't yield a Pain Token.
I think there is an element of needing to choose your target carefully, that's astute.

But to be honest, I've pretty much forgotten about Pain Tokens. I run Kabalites only; FnP is only 5+, which is nice but saves very few of them. Furious Charge? I'm Kabalites, if I'm in assault I'm doing it wrong. Fearless? Great on MEQs, but on T3/5+ dudes? Well if there's anyone left to auto-pass their Morale Check, frickin' hooray.

Midnight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts