Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I'm a pretty laid back gamer, I'm more into the hobby side of things but I enjoy a friendly game here and there. So last night, me and a couple of mates where setting up for a few of drinks and a game or two, when one the boys who plays IG pulls out some kind plastic box with a pen taped to it and explains that it is in fact his Basilisk. We often use house rules and such so I wasn't really bothered, it was roughly the same size and the bloke actually owns a real Basilisk (god knows where it was and why he wasn't using that) so whatever.

Well, the other guy who plays Eldar was flat out against the use of this plastic box and pen tank, he demanded it be removed from the table or he refused to play. He claimed that assembling and painting your models is what gives you the right to field them, blah blah blah. Even though the Guard player has an actual Basilisk, he wouldn't accept this, claimed it was unfair and that was that. He simply would not play.

So now I'm wondering, because I don't take the game has seriously as others, does he have a point or is he just being a bitch?

Would you let your opponent field a plastic box pen tank against you?

How would this kind of thing go down in your local store?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would mock them and then roll with it, periodically cracking jokes about his proxies and trying to get a laugh from everyone.

That eldar player needs to remove the stick from his rectum. If it's fun, go with it. Drama and whining at your opponent for using a proxy = not fun. People seem to forget that fun is the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i'm with culler, though i'm personally agenst myself using proxies i don't mind others doing it. epsially if they're trying to play test something before buying it. i say its ok. on a side note i find most eldar players to be complete pompus ass' and tend to ignore them...their army cheats anyways.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Many, many years ago I used a box of junior mints as a vindicator to see how it worked before buying one. My opponent's only requirement was that if I ate all the mints the tank was destroyed, as the crew had all died. Sadly, I couldn't resist the delicious minty freshness and it died second turn. Damn my sweet tooth.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm with Culler, I have used some proxies in friendly games and you already knew that thisguy owned a real one, that maybe he just forgot it or it was in the middle of a huge conversion. The Eldar player does need to chill, just because he is playing a highstrung bunch of aliens does mean he needs to act like one as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a little extreme of the Eldar player. His anger might be slightly more understandable if the other player was using a box for a model he didn't have. I might be a little ticked if he was using boxes for multiple tanks.

The only situation that I would even consider not playing the guy was if he was using, say a shoebox for a Titan. Or if he used the box tank repeatedly for a long period of time. But that other guy just need to chill.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
The Eldar player was just being a goof. He was annoyed that he was going to get blown to pieces by a Basilisk and was looking for a way out so he chose to attack the fact that it was a proxy model.

Kick 'em in the balls.

Katie D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, as long as it's near the same size/shape, and he actually knows how to use it or has one, I think it's fine. That Eldar player was probably just on his period anyway. And just to be nice, I would probably warn him before breaking my foot off in his ass. :biggrin:

·
Registered
995 Posts
break someone else's foot off in his ass. You'll need yours

·
Registered
89 Posts
As you said, kind of odd he didn't just bring the bassy he owned..but anyway. To the point, that was pretty uptight of the Eldar player. I'm kind of 50/50 on the proxy issue. If you have a 1500 game and you're army list you usually use, but let's say you know you're playing a Tyranid player. The night before you replace half your army with plastic green/tan army men and a few boxes for tanks just to optimize your list...thats a bit too far for me, and I'd probably still play if they were close to the same size, but still that's pretty poor gaming.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't have access to say Vassal, and they're playtesting a new tank before they buy it, I'd definatley be all for letting them use proxies, as there's little worse then spending 50 bucks on a tank you hate.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use red plastic cups for droppods all the time, until they release a kit I wont ever buy one.

I also used to use rhinos as vindicators for forever, but now I have 3 actual vindicators.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I have mixed feelings about it. If youre testing out something new in a list and youre not sure if itll work and you want to buy it, i might be cool with that. otherwise it just smacks of laziness and its an eyesore on the battlefield, i wouldnt be happy.

that said, we have a policy in bromley of no proxies. You have to have an undercoated army as a minimum. no exceptions.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The eldar dude should cool it, it's just a game (is he 12?). Though he had a point. if the guy with box and pen tank has made his basilisk yet forgot it he shouldn't be able to field it. Although, as he made it, and one of his arguments was that he hadn't made it, maybe he should because he left it at home. Me confused.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i would have asked where his real basilisk was. At my local the models being used have to be actual models, so no proxies. But at a friends house I wouldn't be fussed about it if the box was the correct size.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So long as it's not the size of a shoebox, and you give him sufficent grief before during and after the game, there shouldn't be a problem with his "Mr. Carnifex"

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I'm not terribly big on proxies. I've always felt like I can't hold anyone else to my own standards if I want people to play with, but personally, I don't consider a model fieldable unless it's WYSIWYG and fully painted. You'll never see me fielding an unpainted Space Marine, much less a half-assembled one. I play against unpainted, bare plastic constantly, and it kind of annoys me. So much so that I've gotten into painting other peoples' armies for roughly the cost in time and paint as my commission (and they consider that a steal since I can pull down an 8 on CMON if I spend a couple hours on a model.) Point is, I can't say, "I won't play against you because your army isn't even primed" or something if I actually expect to play the game. It's a surprisingly big problem around here though-- it's gotten to the point where our Rogue Trader Tournaments don't require painted armies, but there's still a hefty painting score. We weigh sportsmanship and painting as heavily as winning, which is techincally not how it's supposed to be scored, but it properly rewards the people who've actually painted their armies.

The exception to that is when I'm working out the kinks in a new army and want to playtest it several different ways before deciding on a specific unit. For example, I've been using BFSP Night Goblins as High Elf Swordmasters/White Lions/Phoenix Guard-- the blasphemy of blasphemies, to be sure-- until I'm sure which one my High Elf army will be best suited to having in its ranks. If someone else is doing something similar, then by all means, I'm fine with that.

My only rule that I really actually do hold others to is that cardboard boxes with a text label saying what the unit is are pretty strictly forbidden. If you want to playtest something, find an approximately-sized model from another army-- just make sure it's an actual model. I've fought against Chimeras that "count as" hellhounds while the guy playtests it, and I've seen Carnifex "count as" Hive Tyrants, because the player hadn't bought a Tyrant yet but had been given two battle forces' worth of Tyranids and just wanted to see how the army worked. They were all assembled and painted, and they bought the Tyrant later that evening.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hell, even if he uses the box a long time I'm fine with it, as long as progress is made each game on making it look more like an actual basilisk. Next game it should have a long dowel rod, drilled out and perhaps another piece of box making the shield for the gun. Game after that, it'd need some paint. It's a game at a friend's house, c'mon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't consider a model fieldable unless it's WYSIWYG and fully painted. You'll never see me fielding an unpainted Space Marine, much less a half-assembled one. I play against unpainted, bare plastic constantly, and it kind of annoys me.
Ahh, you would hate me. I just can't wait to start playing a game. Out of 150 or so models I have 12 that are painted. Also as soon as I reach 1500 points I want to try playing a new army. Its like 40k ADD.

I have a Possessed that I lost one leg to. I play him anyway, although I get shit about it. My brother says that he should only be allowed to move 3 inches per turn. :fuck:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts