Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
SICK work mate. Truly impressive considering your break from the hobby.. have some rep

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Here are some quick WIP pics of daemonic mount. done the horse sort of flesh/fur and made a start on the barding. what you all think so far? I would really like some advice on taking better pictures, it might just be that my camera isn't particularly good. I have been using a photo editor to lighten it up a bit but some of the highlighting on the model is still barely visible.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I really like the barding so far! I think that the chainmail needs some highlighting, like a drybrush of Chainmail, but other than that looking great. As far as the horse flesh goes it is a little difficult to tell because of some glare from the photo process but I think that your highlighting needs to be more layers and less pronounced. It kinda looks like it has wavy lines painted onto the skin. Try layering more over several successive colors to get a blended natural highlight. There are some good articles in the Tutorial Section that cover this.

EDIT: I wanted to add to my original post that I really love the way the barding came out. The shading and blending in the greens is really excellently done! I liked it even more the second time I looked at it! :good:+rep

·
Registered
122 Posts
looking good my friend, i think the chainmail is just started yes? the barding is really good, and so's the mark. but i think maybe the lines on the horses flesh could be a little less prominant, lets see if i can +rep you yet!

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Overall the mount looks good.

The highlighting I can see is very neat, and the colour choices seem good.

My only niggle is the contrast of the light brown on the flanks with the main flesh; unless it is the photograph they look too harsh for me.

I have been using a photo editor to lighten it up a bit ....
I have never managed to get that to work without everything going pale; which program are you using, and how are you achieving it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Yeah I haven't made a start on the chainmail yet, but will be doing so soon. hopefully get this model nearly finished by the end of the weekend. The highlights on the horse's flesh do stand out a little more than I would like but when you see the model "in the flesh", I have to say they don't look quite so extreme. might add some washes to dull them down a little.

@ Dave T Hobbit: I have been using "Gimp 2" for the pics on here since the ones of the rhino. I found a guide which is quite useful, http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1724-the-gimp-photo-manipulation (not entirely sure what the rules about posting stuff from other forums etc is on heresy so apologies if I shouldn't be..). My pictures aren't as clear or as bright as the ones in the example to start with, which I think is my main issue now as my photos definitely have been improved by following that guide. Hope it helps!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Again looking really good! I can't get over how much I like the tonal quality of the green armor. You have really done an excellent job with the blending and shading. Quality work mate!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Pretty much finished! but not totally.... just realised I have forgotten to put the spikes around the barding in before taking the photo. I'll put them in for the photo of the whoel thing with the base (not got round to painting that yet either... but nm. I am not to keen on how the horns turned out but that is something I can work on next time. here we go!

I think I might post a picture less close up to the model cos on reflection, these look a bit funky, can't really describe it but it makes it almost hard to see... watch out for that in the next couple days.

c & c please!

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Veeery nice work! If anything, however, i'd say that the bone white portions of the horns look almost too white,though if could just be from the camera flash/glare.

+rep for some excellent painting!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thank you all for the positive feedback! This is the model I have taken most time painting so far and is definitely my nicest paint job.

@ Boc: I feel the horns are too white as as well, especially for a Nurglish looking Chaos Lord. Might darken them down with a wash or two!

Next up some Nurgle Marines, an Obliterator, Tzeentch Daemon Prince and a Rhino for my Thousand Sons! Might be a while though as me and some mates are planning on making a kick ass gaming board in the near future which will inevitably require funding!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Good looking stuff there Stuff! Love the way the Lord turned out. I think a wash or two would solve your horn problem. Other than that I love him!

EDIT: I will hit you up with the rep once I spread the love a little

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Been a while since my last update. sorry i guess? Well basically I am going to enter the armies on parade competition at my local gw this year! I have decided to do so with a pure thousand sons army. I am going to strip the unit of thousand sons I have already painted as I feel I can do a better job as my painting skills have improved and I am going to go for a more turqouise colour or lighter blue for the army.

Here is what is going to be going in this awesome thousand sons army:

-Daemon Prince (Be'Lakor model perhaps?)
-2x Thousand Sons Squads (each with a tasty converted sorcerer)
-Predator (using bits from the OOP csm predator)
-5x Obliterators (see below)
-Summoned Daemon unit (pink horrors?)

and maybe a dreadnought and a rhino.

For the 2x2 board I am considering two different themes. Firstly city ruins including some kind of cathedral or library, fitting in with the thousand sons theme as they are on a continual search for knowledge and a religious building or library would be fitting. The other would be Egyptian ruins to fit in with the Egyptian sort of theme the thousand sons have got going on (interestingly, after a bit of my own research I think the Thousand sons have elements of "Zoroastrianism" influences as well as Egyptian but more on that later ;) ).

For the Obliterators I want to keep the theme of the army purely Tzeentch and Thousand Sons related and therefore the mutations that oblterators have would not really fit in. So I am going to convert some terminator sorcerers who can use different destructive psychic powers to represent the different weapons available to Obliterators. I am going to base them on the space marine close combat terminators, removing the thunder hammer heads and replacing them with spear type heads made from plasticard and giving them handfuls of flame or holding a book of some kind in the other. I am going to make Thousand Son style headresses from plasticard also. Here is what I thinking so far:

The things along the bottom are alternative spear heads and shoulder pads down the right. I want to add some more Chaosy details but am not sure what to do yet other than the icon on the chest plates. Advice about what I am including in the amry and about the obliterator ideas too please!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
...after a bit of my own research I think the Thousand sons have elements of "Zoroastrianism" influences as well as Egyptian....
An often forgotten aspect, although Persian aesthetics are less easy to evoke in miniature.

I am going to convert some terminator sorcerers who can use different destructive psychic powers to represent the different weapons available to Obliterators. I am going to base them on the space marine close combat terminators, removing the thunder hammer heads and replacing them with spear type heads made from plasticard and giving them handfuls of flame or holding a book of some kind in the other.
Interesting concept; it sounds different enough from normal Terminators to stand out. I suggest uniform posing for the Thousand Sons and dynamic posing for the SorcObliterators to ensure they appear different from Rubric units.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts