Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
looked up the drill thing, think I'll pick one up next time in store or pop in to homebase or B & Q and try find a cheaper alternative! but not sure they will have a suitable alternative.. i have a scalpul, think that'll do for removing the mould lines. thanks for the advice again! really helping a noob along, + rep man!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know whereabouts in Edinburgh you are, but if you live near the Fort Kinnaird shopping park at all then there's a Hobbycraft up there and they sell all sorts of useful hobby stuff, drills and such included.

I go there quite a bit when I'm in Edinburgh, but that's because my girlfriend's parents live a five minute walk from it.

Thanks for the rep mate, glad to help out!

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
oh also, i think my gold is quite flat, how do you guys all paint it?? I started with shining gold, the mixture of mithril silver and shining gold and then gave it a thin wash of ogryn flesh to make it a little less flat but it didn't do much..
I tend to use
(i) Undercoat in Black
(ii) Layer of Tin Bitz
(iii) Layer of Shining Gold
(iv) Chestnut ink wash
(v) Burnished Gold highlight

This is mellower and deeper gold with a high contrast

If you are looking for a more graded gold then highlighting before the wash works.

If you cannot find chestnut ink watered down Bestial Brown or other warm brown is not a bad substitute.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thanks dave, I checked your t sons out, think i would like to keep the gold a bit brighter though, have you got any ideas for painting rust(goes for everyone else too) ???

Right! the wings for my prince arrived yesterday (YAAAAY!!!!) and i just attached them, which was a mega pain in the ass... but i am pleased with how it turned out! so here he is:

firstly one with my high tech method of glueing on his wings. shoved his wing in an eraser to keep it in place and propped it against a pot of paint...

and the finished product:

sorry the light isn't great, but when i had the rightness up on the camera the metal from the wings was way to bright and you couldn't see the rest properly.. so what you guys think I should change if i was to do a similar project? And how shall i paint him?

p.s. thanks to beastwoe for the ogre weapon thingy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
p.s. thanks to beastwoe for the ogre weapon thingy.
No Problem 'Stuff' , can i just say, our match was closem as fuck :headbutt: ! The dice behaved so badly in that game, when my seer council is created its gonna pwn u in the asshole :p

Seriously this is a really good job on the Daemon prince, its going to look pretty darn good when ur done :)

peace :victory:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice choice!

Aye most people seem to use the old Dragon wings or Balrog wings. I've yet to see anyone use the new Dragon wings, but I reckon the pose is wrong on them for a standing mini, and they'll be a bugger to get too.

Balrog wings are huge, but on some of the bigger models used for Princes they're more fitting, after all they've gotta lift some gigantic beasties!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Obliterators!!!!

I'll maybe use the balrog wings for my next prince :p think I'll go for a tzeentch one!

Thanks piemaster! I got the energy on the blade from a tutorial on here by The Wraithlord, didn't have quite the same colours etc but that's where it came from :) (thanks for the tutorial if you read this WL)

Also, cool to see other people from Scotland on here!

Right, to the point, i just finished my first two obliterators!! I wanted to make them to share the paint scheme i am using for my plague marines (painting them this week!). I sprayed em black as usual, then base coated the armour with catachan green, then a mix of goblin green and catachan green, then dry brushed a bit adding some skull white to the goblin/catachan mix. I painted the armour trim with dwarf bronze, then washed the whole model with devlan mud. The fleshy bits i painted with bleached bone, then gave them a couple of heavy washes with ogryn flesh wash, then a light drybrush with more bleached bone. The metal claws and weapons i wanted to look a bit rusted so i painted then mithril silver and built up several layers of wash with both the devlan mud and the ogryn flesh. I drybrushed the edges of the claws with more mithril silver to make them look like they were being worn down a bit with all their use. Think it turned out ok! Pretty happy with them in general, probably my best paint job so far (mainly thanks to the genius of washes!!!!)!

So here they are:

Obliterator 1:

Front:

Back:

Side:

Obliterator 2:

Front:

Back:

Side:

So what you guys all think?! what shall i change/change next time?

p.s. I am recycling an old, terribly painted land raider atm, using some green stuff to make it possessed and nurglish looking! will post a couple of WIP pics soon!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
ok as i said earlier, here are a couple of pics of my landraider i am recycling. you can see just how bad my painting used to be... it is missing the side hatches so i have covered one up with with a banner i am going to try a little bit of free hand on (could be interesting...) and the other i am going to have a spawn bursting out from where the hatch used to be (got this idea from another nurgle landraider i saw on the internet).

Front: giving it an eye and some tentacle bits.

Side: banner and nurgle symbol on the lascannon bit.

Top: tentacles popping out from the hatch, some bubbles coming out of the hatch.

I plan on putting some spikes along the top edges or maybe a row of skulls to cover up where the old spikes were.

I started painting the daemon prince, still quite a lot to do here... but here it is so far. suggestions welcome! would actually be quite helpful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
lookin' good! i think green highlighting on the wings would make them stand out a bit, and i think making the eye bright-ish will bring better contrast? maybe, but i'm no expert eh?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with sanguinius noob, making the eye brighter would work quite well. I'd be tempted to go for a milky/blind look myself, but yellow works much better in bringing the eye out of the face more.

The Land Raider is looking good, your greenstuff skills are getting very good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
cheers guys! yeah im gona brighten up the eye, go for a pale yellowish colour so it is still a bit grubby and nurglish looking. I don't have all the paints i need to it might be a week or something before i can get that done unfortunately :(

As for the landraider, yes it is to represent daemonic possession, making it a bit of a pain in the ass to kill until it is in melta or lance range... really looking forward to painting it, being my first properly painted vehicle!

thanks for the rep!

21 - 40 of 94 Posts