Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been getting back into warhammer with a couple of mates (played a bit while i was in primary school), i feel my hobby skills have improved since then and as no one gets to see my models apart from my two mates i thought I'd post a log here.

To save myself some cash as i don't have much, I have taken some of my old models and stripped the paint off them and done some conversions and painting.

I am base my army around thousand sons and plague marines (an odd mix but I like the models). I don't really like the thousand sons sorcerer mosel so i have converted one using my old cypher model:

I filed cypher's head down and then drilled his kneck out a bit using my dad's power tools. Painted him the other evening:

My painting I am pretty pleased with considering i am just getting back into the hobby and lack much patience. Any advice on how to improve would be much appreciated!

And now for my Nurgle daemon Prince! I stripped the paint from an old cave troll and add made him a new head with a gas mask sort of thing, a bigger belly with some guts showing and some boils forming the nurgle symbol. Here he is so far:

I am rather impressed with how he has turned out so far considering this is my first encounter with green stuff! I have to say the guides here on heresy helped A LOT for me as a beginner. Any crit. would be appreciated here too. I ordered a pair of "winged nightmare wings" to add to him also.

That's all the pics I got so far but i am nearly finished my first unit of thousand sons so you might see them up here tomorrow or the day after!

What I have and will start painting soon:

-2x Obliterators (hopefully a couple more soon!)
-unit of chosen with 4x meltaguns
-unit of death guard

What i have and hope to re-paint:

-Land raider

What i am still to buy and paint:

-another unit of deathguard
-another unit of thousand sons
-rhinos for my troops
-more obliterators
-unit of flamer chosen

·
Registered
616 Posts
awesome conversion work! I envy your greenstuffing skills. The Cypher conversion looks great, and so does the paintjob

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
As a devoted follower of Father Nurgle myself, I feel obliged to rep you for a worthy Daemon Prince conversion :) Is that a 40mm or 60mm base? Part of my brain tells me that Monstrous Creatures should be on 60mm bases, but I could be wrong; if you end up using a 60mm base, though, I'd strongly recommend adding a couple of Nurglings to the DP's base to add flavour - I mean, who can resist them? They're so cute :biggrin:

By the way, I'm intending to produce a tutorial on making Nurgle Obliterators in the near future...keep your eyes peeled...

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Nice bit of recycling going on there.

For a first attempt with GS that DP is very good indeed. The mask is a great idea that I will be purloining when I use a plastic Troll that I have stashed for the same purpose.

Keep an eye out for Svartmetall's tut when he posts it, it will be well worth the wait. :biggrin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
For just getting back into painting that Sorceror looks ace! Love the energy effect on the sword, very cool.

The Cave Troll conversion is flipping awesome, I'd not thought of using Trolls for Daemon Princes. Might have to give that a go at some point in the future. If you're having trouble with a 60mm base for the Prince, just drop me a PM btw as I've got a couple going spare.

Have some rep. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
surprised at everyones positive reactions! cheers guys! 40mm base i think, I don't have a 60mm base but I'll try find one, if not i may take you up on your offer Vredesbyrd!

as for the nurglings, how would i go about magnetising them and where would i get em? on gw website?

cheers for the rep! thousand sons unit will be up tonight :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
GW Edinburgh should have Nurglings on the shelf, but otherwise yeah you can get them from GW's online store, or from someone like Maelstrom Games.

I've no experience of magnetising myself so I'd not know how to go about doing that, but if I remember correctly some of the Nurglings come with pegs on them, just like the legs on larger metal minis, and if you make the right sized hole in the base you could just that to secure them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Sorcerer looks great, although I think the base might be too big, unless you're planning on using him as a Counts-As Ahriman or some other sort of special character. The Daemon Prince looks great, especially the Greenstuff. you really managed to make it look like skin.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking the 60mm base would work well, and i like the nurglings idea, went and looked em up, my one concern is that securing the prince on a 60mm base might be difficult, does the 60mm base have the wee holes for the pegs on the bottom of the troll's feet to go in?

also, i look forward to your tutorial svartmetall!

@TempusCorvus i did actually use him as a counts as ahriman model last night against my friend who plays eldar, beat him in capture and control in turn 7, was a close one, although ahriman did absolutely nothing apart form get killed..

sorry i didn't get the thousand sons squad up, tonight, promise!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right, here is a picture of my thousand sons squad, the head dress sort of things didn't turn out as well as i had wanted, but i was having a bit of trouble cos the yellow i was using was pretty much ruined after the 5 or so years it has spent in my cupboard, something i will have to replace soon i think.

any ideas on how to improve them??

i am currently painting a couple of obliterators, they are going to be painted a bit like my plague marines will soon be painted also, might not be on here for a while though cos i am waiting for my devlan mud wash to arrive. I have a unit of chosen i am nearly finished also, will put them up when they are done.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh also, i think my gold is quite flat, how do you guys all paint it?? I started with shining gold, the mixture of mithril silver and shining gold and then gave it a thin wash of ogryn flesh to make it a little less flat but it didn't do much..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think your gold looks fine mate, not too flat to me.

One thing I would advise would be to take a little more time when assembling the models to make sure you have all the mould lines and excess material removed from the models. That and drilling out the gun barrels if you can. Its a nightmare on metal, but easy on plastic and well worth it aesthetically.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I usually just use a GW hobby knife, though any craft knife with a decent blade'll be fine so long as you take your time and scrape them off rather than cutting. If you cut you can slip and take chunks out the model, and more importantly yourself, whereas if you scrape gently you'll just remove the excess without damaging the sculpt.

For drilling barrels I'd recommend a GW pin vice, mainly because I can't remember what other hobby stores there are in Edinburgh where you might buy something similar. Essentially you want a small manual drill that takes really small bits. When you come to drill out the barrels either make a divot with the end of your knife, or score a cross across the area you want to drill into. Helps to centre the hole that way, and makes it look better.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts