Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys, first post in a while. I changed the colour scheme of my army from a dark blue to a bright red (probably shouldn't have tested the scheme on my tank :S).

Would it be best to strip the whole tank, or would it be fine to paint over the top?

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
It would be best to strip it, to ensure you can still get as much detail out of the tank as possible, compared to painting over the top and having 3 layers over details.

Grish

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
play it safe and strip the paint in brake fluid. soak it in brake fluid for a couple of days and take a tooth brush to it. You could try painting over it if you didnt want to strip it, but the problem is after you prime it and start painting you'll notice this effect i call it the cake frosting effect. It will look like frosting as you guessed. Thick and uneven. So play it safe and strip the paint.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Please, Please, PLEASE don't use brake fluid, it's nasty toxic poisonous corrossive nastyness. Use Simple Green/Dettol, it's safe, non toxic and does the job, going from the above post, a lot quicker.
Put your rhino bits, or even the whole thing, into a container and cover it in the Dettol (Pine disinfectant and anti septic) leave it for an hour or two then take it out and scrub it with an old tooth brush.
Repeat until all the paint is gone.

Avoid using anything toxic unless you really have to and even when you do need something toxic use a paint stripper, something that was designed to strip paint. Not something designed to make cars stop!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
wait paint stripper melts plastic, i use brake fluid becasue of that reason, and as far as toxic just dont drink the shit or put your nose right next to the container and huff it and you will be fine. but if dettol works better then go for it. hell i might even give it a try if it works better. but dont discredit brake fluid it works great.
Plus brake fluid works better for getting rid of paint on small models. the paint litterally will fall of the model when you rub it. paint stripper you useually have to rub hard to remove the paint. also the strong stuff you cant use because you will end up with this.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I'm just saying you are better off using something that is either safe or designed for the job at hand.
You wouldn't use Thermite to cook an omellete.
You wouldn't use a hammer to tighten a screw
So please, don't use brake fluid to strip paint.

When stripping plastics yes, nitromors and stuff like it will melt plastic (And your face if you're not careful!) but using something as nasty as brake fluid is just as bad. Anything thats likely to do you any harm at all isn't worth it unless it's an absolute last resort.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm just saying you are better off using something that is either safe or designed for the job at hand.
You wouldn't use a hammer to tighten a screw
So please, don't use brake fluid to strip paint.

When stripping plastics yes, nitromors and stuff like it will melt plastic (And your face if you're not careful!) but using something as nasty as brake fluid is just as bad. Anything thats likely to do you any harm at all isn't worth it unless it's an absolute last resort.
Dude your comparrison is retarded, of course you shouldnt use thermite to cook an omellete, or a hammer to tighten a screw, because it wouldnt work. Brake fluid actual strips paint, and personally after trying and melting lots of plastic models with paint strippers the stuff that didnt melt my models didnt do the job the paint wouldnt budge off the model. Paint stripper sucks. Brake fluid works great as a plastics paint stripper, and like i said just dont snort the fumes or drink the shit and you will be fine.
But try dettol because if it works good you might aswell use it. just like i might aswell use brake fluid because it does a better job then stripper does.

·
Registered
256 Posts
dettoll/simple green is great for stripping small models, but having tried it to strip a badly and thickly painted rhino i bought of ebay it left loads of paint in all the corners and recesses and in the tracks, so i put it in brake fluid instead and it came straight off, so id strongly recommend brake fluid for stripping tanks, its fine and as a mechanic i can tell you it isn't that dangerous so long as you don't drink it, and if you are worried then just wear some gloves when you are using it, it comes off models and skin with warm soapy water

·
Registered
74 Posts
actually norm's comparisons were pretty relevant, just think about it a sec ;)

but yeah unless its really thick on the model just spray/paint over it, if that doesn't work strip the sucker, it'd be smarter to use the safer(and quicker so it seems) stuff.

GL whatever ya pick

Edit: Not sure if this'll work since i never had to strip a mini before, but this stuff works great for cleaning stuff

http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

·
Registered
116 Posts
its fine and as a mechanic i can tell you it isn't that dangerous so long as you don't drink it, and if you are worried then just wear some gloves when you are using it, it comes off models and skin with warm soapy water
As someone who works with it fairly often I completely agree, and I know you can't drink it anyway, it's utterly horrible (long story, involving mistaken identity with the apple juice I had on the side of my workbench and a container of waste brake fluid :wacko:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As someone who works with it fairly often I completely agree, and I know you can't drink it anyway, it's utterly horrible (long story, involving mistaken identity with the apple juice I had on the side of my workbench and a container of waste brake fluid :wacko:)
jesus i can only imagine how disgusting it tasted.:wacko:

·
4,491 Posts
Try Dettol first, only because its cheaper than brake fluid.
If it doesnt work, then use brake fluid.
Ive seen Dettol work, but it still left paint in some spots.

And as for all of the talk about brake fluid being harmful, just dont drink the stuff and you will be fine.

I get oils, petrol, diluted chemical, etc, on my hands and arms all the time. I bet the things that you eat and drink are worse for you.

I wash car parts in petrol with bare hands all the time and im still sqyjnbprefcrs;ofdrt ok.
(Sorry for the random letters, dam muscle spasms.)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Brake fluid works. This much is fact.
It won't destroy GW plastics. This is also a fact.

Yes, it does kill fishies. So DON'T dump it in the ocean (our domestic drains go to a treatment plant, our street drains go to stormwater which is funnelled back to the ocean).
I've tried SG. It failed to achieve the same (or even remotely similar) results in an acceptable time.
I've tried Dettol. Even after leaving it in water for several days, AND giving it a good soapy water scrub afterwards, the dettol fumes were still rather pungent three weeks later.

Yes, it will break down body fats (it's a degreaser as well as paintstripper in that regard) and it will leach through your skin and do funky stuff to your joints - so don't be a numpty and wear some PPE*.

*PPE. Personal Protective Equipment. Gloves, respirators, goggles, that kind of thing.

If you ARE a numpty that huffs the stuff for jollies, then go huff MEK instead. It will kill you quicker.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You wouldn't? :shok:

(kidding)

Brake Fluid works on acrylic paint really well, but not so much on enamels. I once soaked a bunch of Terminators in it (both metal and plastic) and the acrylic came right off but ultimately the only thing that got the enamel paint and primer off was a mixture of water and Comet cleanser.

As a side note, I once got into an argument with a guy at a FLGS about whether brake fluid would dissolve plastic. He absolutely swore up and down it does. Well, as a former mechanic I knew better.

You see, for those who don't know, brake fluid is a hydraulic fluid used in automotive brake systems. Because of the heat involved in brake systems it also chemically absorbs water, sort of like a desiccant, because liquid water in your brake lines could boil and become gas, which turns your wonderfully safe hydraulic brake system into a pneumatic death trap by reducing the amount of force the hydraulic brake lines deliver to the calipers. What keeps this brake fluid contained inside the hydraulic system and the water out?

Rubber seals and gaskets. If brake fluid dissolved petroleum based materials like rubber and plastic, it would be completely useless as a hydraulic fluid in brake systems.

So the same elements that make it a good paint stripper for water based paints also make it worthless for enamel based paint. This is also why it's not good for your skin. Always wash your hands thoroughly with soapy water after working with it, and don't leave containers of brake fluid open to the air as it'll tend to absorb water from the air which makes it less effective, even for paint stripping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts