Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Just any supermarket.
Go into the cleaning aisle and look for a clear bottle with a green sticker that says 'Methylated Spirits'. It also has the word POISON engraved on the side.

Please do not confuse this with Turpentine, cause that melts plastic.

THis is what is usually looks like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
linseed oil? like the one u use on cricket bats? ive tried methlayted spirits and im not sure how well they work i guess they need to stay in over night and ned scrubbing

·
Registered
377 Posts
a great way i've used to strip paint, is soak it in pine sol, and after an hour or so run it under some cool water and brush off whatever paint with and old tooth brush or somehting else

·
Registered
59 Posts
''Methylated Spirits" only removed the top coat on some models that I am trying to strip, I didnt paint the models so I dont know what paint was used to undercoat them, but it doesnt want to go and I dont want to leave them in any longer than I have.

However the ones that I have in a "dettol" wanna be home brand seems to be doing the job, havent been in there more than 30 mins and I can get to the model with a toothbrush, have left a whole bunch on models in there and will check them in the morning.\

Edit: The make believe "dettol" didnt seem to be doing the job when I checked it this morning, I think I may have added to many mini's, will have to pick up an actual bottle of dettol on my way home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just any supermarket.
Go into the cleaning aisle and look for a clear bottle with a green sticker that says 'Methylated Spirits'. It also has the word POISON engraved on the side.

Please do not confuse this with Turpentine, cause that melts plastic.

THis is what is usually looks like.
Tried using this today, worked alright. Left it in for around 3 hours, only got around half my paint off, but I'll probably get the rest tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldnt find purple power at Home depot, however they had "Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner & Degreaser Concentrate", I plan on using this to a test skeleton that was primed to see how it works, anyone else had experience with this product? Great price btw, only 9.99 for a 1gal

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Metal models: Pine Sol, straight up. Works perfectly for me, and isn't deadly toxic to everything in sight (including my cat, who likes to investigat things)

Plastic Models: Pine sol, 1:1 with water, no more than 90 minutes. Works adequately.
Simple Green, straight up. Works ok, safe.

Always use gloves when peeling paint.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Non Acetone Nail Varnish Remover:

30 minutes: VG
1 Hour: VG
2 Hour: A
3 Hour: N/N

N/N = Not needed

Test Model :- Caked up Khorne berzerker painted with very thick red paint.
It is working, however after about 6 hours and brushing it isn't coming off well enough. I'll let it sit overnight, hopefully that model doesn't turn into a blob of plastic lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
for an extended report on simple green:

i use the stuff that comes in an engine degreaser spray bottle from Canadian Tire. i've left models both plastic and metal in there for over a month (forgot about them) with little to no issues (lead and pewter get a slight metal colouration to a deeper grey). also used to clean Forge World resin with no issues. (only soaked the FW pieces for a couple days though)

as an added bonus, simple green makes the superglued joints brittle allowing you to take apart the metal models and clean them up properly (helps with those old Rouge Trader pieces that need some TLC).

my0.02 worth, hope its of use,
-Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is totally my fault but just as a warning to everyone, "acetone free nail varnish remover" works excellently on metal. However, i left some plastics in it overnight and this was the end result:

The models turned soft and some stuck to each other and the bases pretty much just melted. They are solidifying now though so I have a feeling that if I hadn't left them in the stuff overnight they may not have caused the damage.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Leaving them in simple green for too long (I mean months, don't ask) it will start eating at the model.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts