Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I understand that Simple Green is the solvent of choice to strip plastic models. (the specifics of that are a bit above my head, but I have plenty of bodies to try it on) My question is, as I have about 200 cadians to strip, can I just dump them all in a vat of the stuff at once, and if so, how much simple green would I need? Or do I need to do them individually? Because, quite frankly, the latter sounds more arduous than painting them...

·
Registered
634 Posts
im no expert at stripping models (not 40k ones at least :) ) but i would think that putting them all in may be the way ahead especially with 200 models. but i must say when i first saw this i really did think "thats some weird club your going to

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
your best bet, is to do batchs of say 10 or 20 modles at a time, it gives the simple green/detol more time time to work and be more efective, if you chuck a load in at once, you may need to redo em a few times.
but it also depends on how much paint is on the modles, if its only thin coats, then it wont take too long, but if its thick layers, it will take longer, and you will need to do em in smaller batches in order to get a good result

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@fynn, to be honest, it probably varies. These cadians were painted over four years, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say the vast majority are simply primer and a single coat of undiluted GW paint.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
but i must say when i first saw this i really did think "thats some weird club your going to[/QUOTE said:
haha i kust thought good luck and something along the lines of f**k that.

Seriously though i second the batches idea. You dont want to put too many in at a time. Im pretty sure there is a tutorial out there on using simple green. Ill have a look.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3339

found that one i dont know how helpful it will be but you never know.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Simple green and methylated spirits is a good mix for stripping plastic models.

And no, it is a bad idea to dump them in 200 at a time. try 5 at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
The most I hva done at one time was 50 orks in simple green. I chucked them in and left them for two days and they came out fine when I used an old tooth brush and cleaned them under warm running water.

It probably wasn't the best idea to do that but it can be done just make sure the level of the simple green covers the models completly while they soak. But smaller batches are probably better.
Also MR. Clean Multipurpose cleaner works great on plastic. 10 at a time for 30 minutes then brush them under warm running water.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3339

found that one i dont know how helpful it will be but you never know.
Good luck :)
Thanks, I saw that one, but there wasn't very much on doing plastic models, hence the thread.

The most I hva done at one time was 50 orks in simple green. I chucked them in and left them for two days and they came out fine when I used an old tooth brush and cleaned them under warm running water.

It probably wasn't the best idea to do that but it can be done just make sure the level of the simple green covers the models completly while they soak. But smaller batches are probably better.
Also MR. Clean Multipurpose cleaner works great on plastic. 10 at a time for 30 minutes then brush them under warm running water.
Good to know. I'll try the Mr. Clean tomorrow I think, and report on the results. If I can knock these guys out in half an hour rather than two days, that would be much better.:grin:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm...maybe it was the wrong kind of mr. clean, but it didnt seem to work so well. Stripped the primer off of one ok (believe it was GW brand primer, but as I got this particular batch second hand, wouldn't know for sure) but it had trouble with both paint and primer, which is not ideal, as I'm stripping and repainting an army. :p

So, I currently have fifteen men soaking in a bath of pure simple green. Two days I believe is the recommended time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts