Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering running the Strike Force Ultra formation and a little bit of Unbound for a game this coming weekend.

Strike Force Ultra
Terminator Capatain w/Relicblade
Terminator Squad(5) w/2 Chainfists and Assault Cannon
Terminator Squad(5) w/2 Chainfists and Cyclone Missile Launcher
Terminator Assault Squad(5) w/5 Thunder Hammers & Storm Shields
Terminator Assault Squad(5) w/5 Lightning Claws
Venerable Dreadnought w/Twin Linked Lascannon
Stormraven w/Twin Linked Lascannon and Multimelta
Landraider Crusader w/Multimelta

Unbound
Marneus Calgar w/Armour of Antilochus
Honour Guard(4) w/Chapter Banner and Drop Pod

Alternately, I'm also thinking of running Sicarius, ADL, and Comms to pull in the Strike Force with a couple benefits from reserve.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It is a damn shame that the Strike Force Command doesn't have a datasheet otherwise you could cherry pick HQ units like Necrons (and I'm sure others) can. In lieu of that...would you be interested in taking a Librarius Conclave instead of ol' Marnster and his HG and playing a Battle Forged list?

This has made me look back to my Deathwing lists...maybe add in an Archangels Detachment....

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a damn shame that the Strike Force Command doesn't have a datasheet otherwise you could cherry pick HQ units like Necrons (and I'm sure others) can. In lieu of that...would you be interested in taking a Librarius Conclave instead of ol' Marnster and his HG and playing a Battle Forged list?

This has made me look back to my Deathwing lists...maybe add in an Archangels Detachment....
Librarius Conclave, you say? Generate the crap out of warp charges you say? Use Tigurius, you inspire?
Hmmmm........ Dammit, I now have to figure this out.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mulling it over; with Tigurius and four additional Librarians at Level 2, couple in Termie Armour, Plasma Pistol, and a Stormbolter, I get a total of 595... fascinating.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go forth and cast powers, fine sir!

Though at that point why not just play GK but I won't judge :laugh:
Build another army you say? All psychers you say? Hmmmm..... no.
Too much money to sink into that.
Funny thing is, I was thumbing through the Space Marine Codex when I noticed Marney and the Honour Guard (that could be a band name) make a Strike Force Command Formation. Which means, I'm not Unbound for any reason!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Build another army you say? All psychers you say? Hmmmm..... no.
Too much money to sink into that.
Forget that noise, just proxy the models. My buddy hates the GK stuff and as such uses assault cannons as psycannons, heavy flamers as incinerators, etc.

Funny thing is,
You're still unbound. The only way you can use the Strike Force Command as a standalone Formation is if it has a datasheet, which is doesn't. It's sole place is within the Gladius Strike force as an optional Command choice.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget that noise, just proxy the models. My buddy hates the GK stuff and as such uses assault cannons as psycannons, heavy flamers as incinerators, etc.

You're still unbound. The only way you can use the Strike Force Command as a standalone Formation is if it has a datasheet, which is doesn't. It's sole place is within the Gladius Strike force as an optional Command choice.

Now if ya want to take a Strike Force Command, Demi-Company, and Strike Force Ultra....Battle Forged! Don't ya love all these Formations and how easy it makes everything? /rolls eyes.
Yeah... I'm going to field an ACME brick

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah... I'm going to field an ACME brick
AV21 all around with at least 30 hull points, and you don't even want to see it's attack (your opponent's army will never be the same).

Think 'smash'...but literal :laugh:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AV21 all around with at least 30 hull points, and you don't even want to see it's attack (your opponent's army will never be the same).

Think 'smash'...but literal :laugh:
Exactly! I like its barrel rolling attack that flattens infantry in no time!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strength: lol you're army's broke.
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!:laugh:

I'm hav'n a thought here!

Strike Force Ultra
Librarius Conclave (with Tigurius)
Battle Demi-Company (with Sicarius)
Strike Force Command (with Marneus & The Honour Guard)
First Company Task Force (Sternguard like no tomorrow)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Sooooo.....4-5k game? Jealous. Played 4k a little while back, first time facing a Knight and Librarius Conclave. Ended up winning 21-18 in Purge the Alien. It was glorious.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooooo.....4-5k game? Jealous. Played 4k a little while back, first time facing a Knight and Librarius Conclave. Ended up winning 21-18 in Purge the Alien. It was glorious.
I haven't booked out the points yet, but, that might be close to 4-5K or so.
That game does sound glorious, wish I had games like that. Come to think of it, I have had a Devastator Missile Marine survived his squad dying to a Ork Jet, shoot down said Ork Jet, Ork Jet crash on top of him, survived that and take the game by killing Ghazghkull Thraka on turn six.
It was glorious now that I think about it.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok, after sitting down with the Codex and figuring numbers, I have the following list for a higher point game.

Strike Force Ultra 1,535
Battle Demi Company (with Sicarius) 1,175
First Company Task Force 475
Librarius Conclave (with Tigurius) 595
Reclusiam Command Squad (with Cassius) 370
Strike Force Command (Marney & The Honour Guard) 455
Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay 70

All in all I'm totaling around 4,675

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never understood the draw of this Formation. You just filling points?
Actually, I think the point of the formation is just to give you another unit with cool Doo-Dads that your other Command Squad didn't receive... or just to run a Chappy with some Doods to back him up. Throw in to the unit, The Standard of The Emperor Ascendant and you've brought a decent squad to Punk someone.
I'm not so much filling points as I'm just looking at options for what "could" be done.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm not so much filling points as I'm just looking at options for what "could" be done.
I figured that you had a 5k goal maybe and were pulling things to get there, not just tallying the troops. The 6" Zealot bubble is OK but you're totally right: it's all about having another unit with the fanciest of weapons. Oh man....army of Reclusiam Command Squads. Worth it? :laugh:

Here's the deployment pics from that game. My buddy's army is painted quite nice, mine on the other hand....is not totally painted. The Guard I got from another pal that moved away, it was fully painted when I got it more or less. At least there's some red going on!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured that you had a 5k goal maybe and were pulling things to get there, not just tallying the troops. The 6" Zealot bubble is OK but you're totally right: it's all about having another unit with the fanciest of weapons. Oh man....army of Reclusiam Command Squads. Worth it? :laugh:

Here's the deployment pics from that game. My buddy's army is painted quite nice, mine on the other hand....is not totally painted. The Guard I got from another pal that moved away, it was fully painted when I got it more or less. At least there's some red going on!

Oooo!!!! Fancy, fancy! I like it! :eek:k:
I've modified things... oh, wow, has it gotten good at 5K. I'll post the list tomorrow evening, I'm out of town right now and making ready to get some sleep for a comic con in Dallas tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts