Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever done something that your opponent didn't expect? Like having Assault Marines with Jump packs fly out of a Land Raider Crusader in turn Two?

Has someone done something so ridiculous on the battle field that it shouldn't have worked but somehow did? Like a single Imperial Guardsmen Squad assaulting a Hive Tyrant and Winning?

Well reveal your story here!

Tell everyone the strangest tactics you seen happen on the battlefield! Showing how they worked or failed!

·
Registered
222 Posts
i had a squad of imperial guard, take two wounds off a avatar with rapid fire lasguns and then my sarge chainsworded him good,taking another wound off. then the avatar killed everyone.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I had my high marshal using codex armageddon kill a daemon prince in one on one combat when all i had was a lightning claw and thunder shield ((couldn't have an iron halo :( )) Should of seen his face when it hit the dirt.

·
Registered
811 Posts
those aren't weird tactics though. thats just weird outcomes.

I one time plugged up a doorway with a drop pod so the troops inside the fort couldn't get out to get to any objectives.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does it help if the tactic is completely illegal?

Like having Jump Pack troops inside a Crusader.
Or a Rapid Firing IG squad charging after firing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
hmmm....weird tactice. Its not 40K, but once in LotR (not knowing much at the time) sent a single wood elf spearman to attack sauron in hope of slowing it down. I proceeded to rolla 6 to hit, 6 and 6 to wound, and he rolled 7 1s for his fate thingamijig

it won the game

another tactic people think is a little weird is to have a suicide Scout squad w/ bolters and an ML who run around wreaking merry havoc. They are ignored as being "useless" until they find a nice juicy target to open up on :biggrin:

·
Registered
222 Posts
my cousin used his falcon grav tank, which had no weapons left to tank shock 3 complete squads of imperial guard off othe board thus winning the game.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it help if the tactic is completely illegal?

Like having Jump Pack troops inside a Crusader.
Or a Rapid Firing IG squad charging after firing.
I agree about the Rapid firing IG and then Assaulting being illegal.

But to my knowledge(And I checked), nowhere in the BBB or Space Marine Codex does it say Jump Pack Infantry Can't be transported in a Land Raider.

Nor does it say they take up more then 1 Spot like Terminators.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be seeing my little strange tactic being used more often now lol.

Especial when the Assault Squad is joined with a Chaplain.

·
Registered
304 Posts
don't forget, nothing says assault machine to you're enemies like a chaplain with jump pack

I've never found there to be a need for them to be in a LRC, their jump packs are usually alot faster, and if the cover is good they are never shot to pieces

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Tactic is,

On the first turn the LRC moves 12" Toward the Enemy. Keeping the Assault Squad safe from enemy fire in turn one.

On turn two they disembark 2" from the hatch, Move 12" and most likely be in assaulting range. As the LRC can move as it pleases as most if not all it's weapons should now be in Range.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
heres a strange tactic that will blow your minds...Guardsmen....MOVING, I know I know, its shocking, you should all go have a lie down

·
Registered
304 Posts
heres a strange tactic that will blow your minds...Guardsmen....MOVING, I know I know, its shocking, you should all go have a lie down
I......I think I may go lie down, there is no way anyone would do such at thing... :shok:

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Oh. My. God.

Guardsman...moving? Is it possible to use those words in a sentance like that? This is....I just...I can't..

I have to go sit down.
-Dirge

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree about the Rapid firing IG and then Assaulting being illegal.

But to my knowledge(And I checked), nowhere in the BBB or Space Marine Codex does it say Jump Pack Infantry Can't be transported in a Land Raider.

Nor does it say they take up more then 1 Spot like Terminators.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be seeing my little strange tactic being used more often now lol.

Especial when the Assault Squad is joined with a Chaplain.
It's specifically excluded.

Transport Vehicles, Page 62 "Only infantry may embark in transports unless the transporting vehicle's rules specify otherwise."

Units, Page 8: Jump infantry are distinguished from 'infantry' in the exact same way that vehicles are not infantry.

You can't put an Assault Squad in a Land Raider Crusader anymore than you could put a Predator in a Land Raider Crusader.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah ok. I Forgot that they are their own type in the BBB.

They don't talk about Jump Infantry much. This is apparent since no where in the book says that Jump Infantry can't be put into a transport.

And in the Transport section it uses the word 'Infantry'. And never says it means only Regular Infantry and not Jump 'Infantry'.

Honestly if they can fit the bulking size of a Terminator into a Transport, what not a guy with a jump pack?

Oh well. I really wish GW would know to clarify things like this in the rule book more often as I could see this going ether way with some people.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
A good tactics and one most people don't expect is to actually steam your vindicator forward and pop smoke in the first turn, its vunlerable, but if its not destroyed straight away its within range of the enemies whole army by the second turn and is blowing chunks out of the line. I dunno i used to get gasps when i did it, but it works well especially when its in an assault army cause it gives your assault troops time to get within range to assault.

I always used to beat guard armies by doing this.

Wierd tactics or just good sense i dunno :)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Parking a couple of empty Rhinos in front of an enemy heavy weapons squad to block their line of sight (and I do mean RIGHT in front, so they can't see ANYTHING) is always entertaining, since it takes them at least two turns to rectify the problem-- they've either got to blow it up and then get on top of the wreckage, or they have to blow it up or immobilize it and move around it (as simply trying to move around it would prompt the Rhino to move again, still blocking heavy weapons fire.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
A good tactics and one most people don't expect is to actually steam your vindicator forward and pop smoke in the first turn, its vunlerable, but if its not destroyed straight away its within range of the enemies whole army by the second turn and is blowing chunks out of the line. I dunno i used to get gasps when i did it, but it works well especially when its in an assault army cause it gives your assault troops time to get within range to assault.

I always used to beat guard armies by doing this.

Wierd tactics or just good sense i dunno :)
It works even better with two Vindicators. :biggrin:

A friend of mine used to advance his Blood Angel's Assault Squads behind his Land Raider. The Land Raider would absorb all the fire and hide the Assault Squads. Once they got closer, the Assault Squads could hop over the Land Raider and charge.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Ah ok. I Forgot that they are their own type in the BBB.

They don't talk about Jump Infantry much. This is apparent since no where in the book says that Jump Infantry can't be put into a transport.
They don't need to. They also never go out of their way to say Vehicles and Beasts can't go inside transports. Because they very explicitly said only Infantry go inside transports.

And in the Transport section it uses the word 'Infantry'. And never says it means only Regular Infantry and not Jump 'Infantry'.
Because regular Infantry are Infantry and Jump Infantry are Jump Infantry. Note the capital letters. in GW speak, caps refer to very specific things. Rules or types or weapons. When they say Infantry they mean Infantry-Typed units. I'm not saying it isn't an understandable mistake. I'm just saying if you read the rules more closely you'll see that it's more explicit than you think

Honestly if they can fit the bulking size of a Terminator into a Transport, what not a guy with a jump pack?
You;re really better off not trying to apply logic like that to game mechanics.
Why can;t you fit 5 terminators into a rhino? Why can;t you put a couple horses or bikers inside a transport meant for a dozen men? Why can;t you have a couple dudes hanging off the running boards on your land speeders, or have guys ride on top of vehicles? You just can't. For that matter, how do 10 marines even fit inside a Rhino, considering how small it is?

It's a game, they have to set specific rules, otherwise the game gets too bogged down in 'what if' mechanics.

Oh well. I really wish GW would know to clarify things like this in the rule book more often as I could see this going ether way with some people.
It actually is pretty clear, if you read the rule book throughly. They even go out of their way to say Jump Infantry are NOT Infantry.

However, if you were to have your assault squad Remove Jump Packs you *could* mount them in the land raider (and save a lot of points to boot), because without the JPs they become regular Infantry again.

As far as unusual tactics go...

I flew a squad of Piranhas up on my brother's Defiler. They dropped drones and fired their fusion guns. The fusion guns failed to destroy the defuler, so I then assaulted with the drones to tie his defiler up long enough for my fragile skimmers to ge tout of LOS and prepare for another strafing run.

The piranha are open-topped, so the drones were able to disembark and assault. They couldn;t actually hurt the defiler, but thanks to the defiler's low WS and low number of attacks (this was with the old chaos codex), they actually survived two full assault phases before he broke them. Whereupon my speeders moved in for the kill.

I use similar tactics against heavy weapon squads when I play Tau. Anything with big guns and a WS gets a facefull of Drones to buy time for the speeders.

Deep-striking three Stealth Suits with SIX attached gun drones behind the enemy fire-line

Buying a Rhino for a 5 man Blood Angels tactical squad and then deploying 5 guys with a plasma gun in a firing position and deploying the rhino out in the open, charging up on the enemy lines. They assume I have a combat squad with a powerfist or something in there and waste AT fire on the empty rhino. I don;t use it often, but it's a good one.

Works even better if you use a Veteran Assault Squad. Give them 2 plasma guns, drop the jump packs and the rhino comes for free (so no VP loss for getting it slagged)...then they're left to assume that there's 5 more VAS inside the rhino with up to three powerfists. That REALLT draws fire. You could give your guys some storm bolters too, but if you use all those slots then they;ve got nothing to fear from the phantom combat squad.

A friend of mine used to advance his Blood Angel's Assault Squads behind his Land Raider. The Land Raider would absorb all the fire and hide the Assault Squads. Once they got closer, the Assault Squads could hop over the Land Raider and charge.
I;m using a similar tactic in my current list, though in this case my death company is inside the raider and I have Lem and Mephy running behind it.

The raider absorbs fire and keeps the ICs from being targeted, meanwhile if it gets close enough, it unloads the DC, and meph and lemmy join up and go to town (or lemmy and the DC go one way and meph goes off on his own)

And if the raider gets slagged, at least the DC get FNP rolls to resist the resulting wounds, and mephy and lemmy are unharmed and un-entangled, ready to provide counter-charge against anyone trying to take advantage of the tangled up death company.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts