Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Just a place for me to share my work and progress.

Intro
I started collecting Dark Angels in August of 2013. Initially I wanted to go with Ultramarines but decided to stick with what I got from the DV box, and after that DA fluff just pulled me in.

This is my first time in mini-war gaming and so far I collected about 2100+ pts worth of models. Painted about two thirds of that, and finished painting completely only a handful.

My wish would be to complete whole 5th company, with Deathwing and Ravenwing armies as well.

My Army so far;

HQ

Azrael - Supreme Grandmaster of Dark Angels (Not assembled)
Belial - Grandmaster of Deathwing (Finished, not based)
Seraphicus - Interrogator Chaplain, attached to 5th Company (Primed)
Balthazar - Master of 5th Company (WIP)
Turmiel Librarian, attached to 5th Company (WIP)
Terminator Chaplain (Not assembled)

Elites

Dreadnought Baradiel 5th Company (WIP)

Deathwing Terminator Knights Squad Gideon (WIP)

Troops

Tactical Squad Raphael 5th Company (Finished, need highlighting)

Tactical Squad Varrius 5th Company (WIP)

Deathwing Terminator Squad Barachiel (Finished)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron Arion (WIP)

Deathwing Terminator Command Squad Validus ( WIP) (also used as normal DW Squad)

Vehicle Armory

Dedicated Transports

Whole Army pic

In this pic you can see both scratchbuilt vehicles, MK V Rhino APC and Land Raider Tempest, both WIP. They were made using ABS Plasticard and Eli Pataroch's templates.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be posting updates and filling up the army slots as I collect and work through the models :)
*reserved*

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I got my Imperial Knight today.

And this is what I got after 12 hours of assembly without an assembly guide :)
Most pieces are still not glued and its just holding together.

Arms, weapons, torso and armor plates will be magnetized as soon as i get bigger magnets and a drill bits.
I am planning to paint it in Dark Angel colours rather than Noble House colours. Will need to sculpt a lot of DA iconography and free hand their symbols.

I also bought 5 old metal legion of the damned and 10 Terminators for Deathwing!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Those Knight models are so badass. Is the base larger than the flier base? They look like they would be pretty fun to use in game as well. Specially with DW. Badass multiplier x2.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Those Knight models are so badass. Is the base larger than the flier base? They look like they would be pretty fun to use in game as well. Specially with DW. Badass multiplier x2.
The Knight's base is about half again as big as the flyer base.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What about vehicle iconography? I know when I bought some DA vehicles, I had a ton of extras that I didn't use. Would think they'd be the right size or damn close to it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its about twice as big as flyer base.

I calculated that the minimum point game at 1650 where I can field both LRC and a Knight. But I will only have 10 models for troops, DW Knights in LRC, Belial for HQ and Imperial Knight as heavy fire support in the back field or maybe pushing forward with LRC. Thats total of 18 models on the table :), but 18 freaking awesome and fearsome models.

What about vehicle iconography? I know when I bought some DA vehicles, I had a ton of extras that I didn't use. Would think they'd be the right size or damn close to it.
Havent bought a single vehicle so far :) , 1 rhino I got was from a friend and another one i scratch built. Otherwise FW produces Chapter icons so I could get those.

*Update* So I am still working on the Knight Titan, need to grind down some parts and waiting for the drill bit to arrive so I can start to magnetize it.
I am planing to magnetize all the armor plates,face plates, arms, and make the 2 weapons easily switchable. Also after painting and finishing his base i will magnetize his feet so he is easily removable for storage.
The waist area is where the legs are connected to the chest, instead of gluing it together I drilled a hole and mounted lower and upper parts of the body on a single bolt. So now the body is properly secured while having the ability to spin on the spot and be taken apart rather easily.
I used a bolt the you use to secure GPU in place inside the chassis after you plug it in.

Also here is old metal models I got for Ezekiel, Azrael and Terminator Chaplain.

And here are the Legion of the Damned, also metal models.

The issue I am having right now is that, I have so many models to work on ! :shok:
Not counting the scratchbuilts. I have 20 Terminators to work on, 10 of which are not assembled, this new HQs to build, Imperial Knight, and Legion of the Damned...
Damned first world problems!
How do you guys work through your stuff? Work on one model/unit until you finish it 100% or work on everything as you go?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im in the exact same spot as you, i have about 4k points of daemons, and barely any of it is fully painted. What i try and do is work to points, so atm i have about 500 points painted (not including greater daemons or princes), im working on painting up enough troops to field 1k points fully painted. So doing my way build up an army list for points and paint towards that list by squad so in your case id say do 5 terminators, or your HQ which ever your lacking, then the other then the knight :) theb back to the others id leave the LotD until last as cool as they are, you have deathwing which do the exact same but aint as cool so focus on your bit first then extras, personal preference.

But yea, looking good so far, the scratch builds look fantastic, looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try the online competitions part of the forums there's a monthly painting deathmatch where you have a paint a set thing each month (hq,vehicle etc). Works for me to go through things one at a time until they are done and the competition is a good driver to try and always improve (also steal/borrow some ideas).

Good start so far on the army tho

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@Hewbear
4k points of Daemons,well yikes mate, cant imagine the amount of paints you need to buy unless you are going mono god theme.
@Howzaa
I did participate in it once, but this month is vehicle/monster and I got neither one ready. Will enter next month with a group of DW Knights. @Catman
Thanks I am still working out the details on how to make him :) I dont want simple paint job and few DA symbols thrown in there. I am planing to build custom shoulder pads and maybe give him an actual sword....

Well so I took my time and thought of what to work on, and in which order.
Here is my plan for next month or two.
Painting
1. Finish Highlighting 20 Tacticals.
2. Finish Rhino APC
3. Next Month finish my DW Knights Squad Gideon and participate em in our forum competition.
4. Start painting DW Command Squad Validus and my first banner.

Assembling,Magnetizing,Converting.
1. Magnetize 20 Terminators. ( of which 10 need to be Assembled)
2. Assemble Legion of the Damned Sqaud.
3. Magnetize Imperial Knight Titan and prepare bits for conversion.
4. Assemble last 3 HQs

Scratchbuilding
1. Finish Rhino APC tracks.
2. Finish Land Speeder Tempest
3. Start Land Raider Crusader.

I will be doing one of the three things,when im bored of one I will be doing the other and vice versa.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I havent updated this inawhile and here is why :p

Been working on my Deathwing army, I got 25 DW Terminators currently. (5 more are not on the pic)
Everything in the picture is magnetized including shields and weapon options behind them.
Pretty awesome since I can play my knights as normal DW since I can just swap out the maces for bolters and shields for power fists :)
They are going through slow but steady painting process, so they should be finished within maybe another month.
I am planning to get another ~ 10 terminators and I think I wouldnt need any more for anything below 2000 points. I want to get a group of those Cataphracti Terminators, those models look sick!

And here is progress on my Deathwing Knight Titan.

Check out the eagle wings I added to them from elven fantasy kit. Still need to pain em nicely though.

And here is how he looks like next to my DW Terminator squad.

Now this is just an initial color scheme with which I will go on, no extra details done outside of what is already on the model. So all iconography is yet to be sculpted and painted.
BTW I used lard brush and GW paints, no airbrush was used.

And last but not least
Interrogator Chaplain , I was trying my hand in OSL but its much harder then it looks then when they paint it on youtube :scratchhead:

He aswell still needs to be finished but I just wanted to show what ive been doing so far :)
Well I guess thats it, I will try to keep a better record of what I am doing, I actually wanted to take more WIP pictures but got lazy on that.

Looking forward to constructive criticism and suggestions :)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Those is some nice looking DAs my friend. And I really like the wings on the knight. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those is some nice looking DAs my friend. And I really like the wings on the knight. Keep up the good work!
Thanks :) DAs are awesome the only problem i have is that we don't get all the toys like thunderfire canon and stormraven/talon.
The wings are there for now just to check how it looks like, they are held on blutac. But I'm not sure how to go on i wanted to craft custom shoulder pads for him but not sure how to do it and in what shape =/.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I love how everything looks. I did do Dark Angels for a while and have to say I'm jealous of your Azreal. For some reason mine didn't come with the proper standard and he looks kind of goofy with just the banner pole.
That knight looks down right EPIC. The wings are a nice touch, especially if you can get them to wrap all the way around the pauldron. Maybe even attach a sword to get the DA symbol.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I havent updated in AGES!
But I did recently finish painting my Deathwing Knights :) thanks to @Matcap for giving me a bit of inspiration there with the shields even though I did not do it as complicated as you!
Also here is a link to Imgur album for better viewing experience http://imgur.com/a/qkkwP

Sorry for potato quality photos, my phone is from 2011 :/

So here it goes

Started painting them in December 2014 and finished a week ago with the bases in an all nighter :)
some small cleanup here and there left though.

All the arms are magnetized so they can be played as normal Deathwing Terminators.

Belial FINALLY received an appropriately epic base for his badassery. Painted him about a year ago. My skills in blending improved so going to attempt to give his robes a nice highlighting and shading.

My first Deathwing squad I painted about maybe 8 or so month ago, havent been painting much since then

C&C is appreciated :)

For the Lion!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good job on the deathwing! I'm always impressed when someone gets a good looking bonewhite armour. Most difficult thing for me, I just can't get it right. :good:

Question on the highlights: are you using a glaze? If not, that might help ease the transition a bit more on the robes for example. (I'm using waywatcher green on my stuff).

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
You've improved a lot since I first saw your log - Your greens look really good and the highlights give it a good touch. In addition I like the greys and the bases. Very well done!

However, this is a double-edged sword as I think the bone, the metals and the reds are flat by comparison. It could be the photos, but I feel there is a difference in shadow quality from color to color. It seems like you have nailed the greens and have yet to master the others.

I would focus first on the reds, as they are the contrast to the great greens you have done. A highlight of Maphiston or Wazdakka red would do wonders on them.

On the bone, it looks like you have used either Ushabti Bone or Screamking Skull. If it's Ushabti, maybe a highlight of Screamking Skull would help as well.

On metals - More Nuln Oil. Always more Nuln Oil :D

Keep up the good work and remember, if you need anything, you know where to find me :good:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good job on the deathwing! I'm always impressed when someone gets a good looking bonewhite armour. Most difficult thing for me, I just can't get it right. :good:

Question on the highlights: are you using a glaze? If not, that might help ease the transition a bit more on the robes for example. (I'm using waywatcher green on my stuff).
Same here Bonewhite is so hard to get right, the shading just too easy to mess up. Also black is really hard to paint :(
No, I am not using a Glaze, I will go pick it up tomorrow and will try it out on Belials green cape :)

You've improved a lot since I first saw your log - Your greens look really good and the highlights give it a good touch. In addition I like the greys and the bases. Very well done!

However, this is a double-edged sword as I think the bone, the metals and the reds are flat by comparison. It could be the photos, but I feel there is a difference in shadow quality from color to color. It seems like you have nailed the greens and have yet to master the others.

I would focus first on the reds, as they are the contrast to the great greens you have done. A highlight of Maphiston or Wazdakka red would do wonders on them.

On the bone, it looks like you have used either Ushabti Bone or Screamking Skull. If it's Ushabti, maybe a highlight of Screamking Skull would help as well.

On metals - More Nuln Oil. Always more Nuln Oil :D

Keep up the good work and remember, if you need anything, you know where to find me :good:
Thank you, you humble me :cray:
Ye now that you mention it I do see it, reds look quite flat. Also the photo messes up the colours of the armor. It actually has quite a bit of shading but the overhead lamp makes the armor glow white.
Then again Im still not happy with how my bonewhite armor is turning out, I just cant find a way to paint it nicely. Also the contrast in quality is most likely due to time difference of painting. I painted the armor almost a year ago and have improved since then. Next squad Im gonna start from scratch by stripping the old paint first.

What I found works really well with Leadbelcher is Imperial Primer, I got a bottle that has water separated from the paint and i use that as shading gives a nice black look to the iron, I guess watering down Imperial Primer would work aswell. Nuln Oil is great but it gives that oily look to the iron which you dont want sometimes.

On this models I am the most proud of the robes and bases, I think this 2 cames out the nicest.I will do the touch ups on the upcoming weekend and post an update and try to get a better picture. Next squad I will do my best to equalize the quality and i wont take half a year to paint it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts