Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

THE STORY: The green-skinned hordes of the Overfiend of the Octavius system have long been a thorn in the Imperium’s side – and now, with human worlds caught in the crossfire between the orks and eldar, that thorn will be removed. Temur Khan and his brotherhood descend upon Lepidus Prime to cleanse it of the green taint. The swift and brutal hammer to the Imperial Guard’s anvil, the White Scars strike hard and fast – but when the orks reveal a super-weapon, it may take more than just power to win the day.?

So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mhm, decided to grab it and a bunch of some of the most recent releases. Save the advent shorts. Which im waiting for to buy all together as there most likely will be a bundle with them to save time buying and individually dling them.

Edit: Finished Stormseer, thought it a decent read. Clearly inspired by Scars and providing a couple interesting characters that we may see again in the future.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
White Scars.
David Annandale.
BL can has my money.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Very nice piece of artwork :so_happy:

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I've been impressed with what I've read of Annandale's work so far, and my opinion of the SM Battles books has risen somewhat lately, so I might give it a go.

It's by Clint Langley, I believe. I really, really like his stuff.
Really? I sometimes think he gets the scale all wrong. Just look at the size of that Soul Drinker's head compared to his feet. It reminds me of Pinhead from the Puppetmaster movies.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Langley is not the only one "guilty" of using exaggerated proportions, though. And, to be fair, he is better at it than most of those who use that as a means. At least one otherwise excellent artist whose name eludes me paints T-Rex arms on everything ranging from Space Marines to Eldar. Is the design I linked to perfect? No. The pauldrons are off, and we're not done so purposefully, to name one thing. But the design is overall solid, and evokes the mood and themes of 40k. I think it's far better than a lot of the generic and cartoony designs we've gotten of late. Consider:

Where Terminators are concerned, I offer you these from Langley:

Those are Terminators.

By contrast, this is a pretender to the concept:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problem usually is that the weapons and limbs look WAY too big in comparison with for instance the head. And cartoonish in appearence. I think the Gaunts Ghost-covers have tended to become much much better in recent years and some of the better. :)

·
8,723 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I know it's not supposed to be but the proportions look more like that than TDA.

As for scale, I know that there was a theory that in TDA the wearers arms are actually crossed in front of them and that the actual weapon arms themselves are robotic.

·
8,723 Posts
As for scale, I know that there was a theory that in TDA the wearers arms are actually crossed in front of them and that the actual weapon arms themselves are robotic.
Ewww, no! :shok:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Makes more sense to me than it being their actual arms. I know there is image of marines being put into their suits and it is there arms but it still looks off to me.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Makes more sense to me than it being their actual arms. I know there is image of marines being put into their suits and it is there arms but it still looks off to me.
Again, you ultimately have to take into account the artist using exaggerated scale for the sake of pleasing the viewer. If you go by the Index Astartes illustrations, which are drawn to the same scale across the board, both power armour and Tactical Dreadnought Armour are wearable:

At worst, one might argue that the hands don't reach into the finger portions of the Terminator Armour, and that a Space Marine relies on his neural connection to the suit to control those portions.

How I have always viewed it.
I'm opposed to the former only on one account: "average" Space Marines range between seven and seven and a half feet in height - and that's straight from the design team. The Primarch scale is right, though. A Primarch has been consistently described as being to a Space Marine as a Space Marine is to a human being. If a Space Marine is roughly 25% taller than a human being, on average, then a Primarch should be similarly scaled to a Space Marine. Ironically, if we use a properly-sized average Space Marine's height as the base, a Primarch comes out to be right around a minimum of 9 feet, four inches.

I'm opposed to the latter because it purports to present realistic proportions for a Space Marine, but they don't work. We know Space Marines aren't just superhumanly strong, but agile as well. A man with such proportions would be hindered in the performance of a number of different physical tasks.

If you're looking for what Space Marines would "really" look like, you should probably look at NFL players in the linebacker or tight end position, larger rugby players, or larger weight-class boxers and wrestlers. Those proportions, scaled out to a 7.5ft tall human being - which itself is an incredibly difficult proposition and will only be found in a comparative handful of specimens - is the most likely case scenario. Combine those proportions with a superhumanly-hardened skeleton and the fact that those muscles are themselves enhanced... and you've got yourself a warrior who is every bit as functional as he is exceptional.

Go any larger, though, and functionality drops. Top-end body-builders can't even swim (see older Jay Cutler interviews for that), much less move as dynamically as a Space Marine would need to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anyway, I just finished Stormseer. I enjoyed it. Some good action. Mysteries. And, of course, psykers. That's why I read these books. Heh. And Annandale seems fond of them. What with Mephiston and all. I know almost nothing about the White Scars, but I like their speed!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts