Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-read the rulebook today and I have been playing Stormravens and other flyers wrong. Just to see if it is just me who is crazy, I have a question for you. How many weapons can a Stormraven fire at full BS in a turn they did not Jink?

·
Registered
773 Posts
4 if they moving combat or cruising while zooming.
2 if hovering and cruising speed.
All if hovering but also moving combat speed or stationary.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Does power of the machine spirit not mean 5 guns?
4 and 1 extra due to potms.
I'd love to be wrong though - I hate the damn things :grin:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes if the vehicle has PotMS will give it an extra attack.
Remember the Chaos Version of a Stormraven doesn't get PotMS. As I wasn't sure if you were talking about SM, CSM or GK so didn't include the extra PotMS attack.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Well, PotMS only gives it another weapon to fire if it HAS another weapon it could fire.

For example, my Grey Knight Storm Raven has a twin-linked Multi-Melta, a twin-linked Plasma Cannon, 2 Hurricane Bolters (1 on each side) and 4 Mindstrike missiles (of which it can only fire 2 in a turn). That means it has a total of 6 weapons it COULD fire. So if it it is Zooming, with PotMS, it can fire any 5 of those 6 weapons and one can be at a different target to the rest.

Now, let's say that the Storm Raven only has a twin-linked Multi-Melta, a twin-linked Plasma Cannon, and 4 Mindstrike missiles (of which it can only fire 2 in a turn). That means that it has a total of 4 weapons it can fire on any given turn. Now, you can use PotMS to allow one of those weapons to fire at a different target, but you can still only fire 4 weapons, because the Storm Raven only has 4 weapons it CAN fire. PotMS doesn't let you fire one of those weapons twice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my gaming group and I have been operating under the impression it was 4 weapons period, even if they had other weapons to fire. Apparently it was just us...now I feel quite the dumb.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Whoa, did I miss something? When did Chaos get the Stormraven?!

...or do you think you're talking about Land Raiders?
I assume Forge World; mayegelt tends to rhapsodize about Zhufor and Storm Eagles, etc. :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
As Mossy said, its one of the impy armour books as far as I remember. I know Imp Armour Apoc 2013 has Storm Eagle, I think Storm Raven is in a separate one, might be mistaken.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ah, right. IA books. One day maybe I'll go that far...

and 4 Mindstrike missiles (of which it can only fire 2 in a turn)
I can't seem to find the rule that states Fliers are only allowed to fire 2 missiles per turn in the 7th book, it used to be in the Flier section but is no more. Only limit on Flier's shooting I see is that they can only fire 4 weapons per turn.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have neither the Rulebook or the Grey Knight codex in front of me, so I might have got that wrong. I thought you could only fire 2 missiles a turn and I can't recall if that was in the Rulebook or the codex...

Either way, I think my point was clear enough, even with that little fumble.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Absolutely, point made. In the 6th edition BRB it was stated in the Fliers section that they could only fire two missiles per turn, while in the 7th edition BRB I can find no such contingency. Just curious as to where your info came from, since I can't seem to find any current rules substantiating it.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
In that case, I look forward to firing all four Bloodstrike missiles at a single tank and PotMS-ing my turret weapons elsewhere. This definitely pleases me...glad that rule wasnt hanging out elsewhere and I missed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts