Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a unit of Terminators in combat.
Do I need atleast half the unit in combat to have storm shields to utilize the 4+ inv save? What about if only 2 models of a unit are in contact and one of them has a SS?

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Ok the way it works now has nothing to do with the majority rule as toughness works.

You may always choose who makes what armor saves whether it be HtH or from shooting.. the only rule is that you cannot allocate more than 1 save to a model unless every other model which can be removed as a casualty has been allocated a save. Basically 1 guy with a storm shield cannot try to stop 5 wounds from a powerweapon.

If you have 10 guys who can be hit in total and 3 of them have a storm shield and you recieve 3 power weapon attacks then you can allocate them to the guys with shields if you want. If you take 4 power weapon attacks then 3 would go to the guys with storm shields and one of your other Termies would have to take the other one. On the other hand if you wanted to save them for some nasty daemon later on you could allocate all them to the rest of the squad and try to save the guys with the sheilds for last.

If you need a good rule book explanation then please see page 76 of the BRB.. it has a nice big square that has all the explanation you need for MIXED ARMOUR.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> As Bishop has rightly pointed out, mixed armour isnt counted here. All termies are wearing the same armour. The terms wi S/S would get a 4 up against power weapons etc, the ones without would get a 5 up save against same weapons. Mixed armour only comes into play when different armour types are present in the squad, ie scout armour and power armour.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
While the Mixed Armor rules apply only to Armor Saves (Presumably, you can apply invul saves or cover saves wherever you want), I feel I should point out how the rule works, just for the sake of clarity.

A lot of people assume Mixed Armour works the same as Mixed Toughness. This, fortunately, is not the way it works.

When you have a unit with Mixed Armour saves, wounds are applied to the majority save value *first* (though the owner still gets to pick who saves against what weapons), however you still never apply more than one wound to a single wound model unless there's an overwhelming amount of incoming wounds.

So if you have a unit of 10 men, 6 of which have Save A, and 4 of which have Save B.

The unit takes 5 wounds. These are all applied to Save A.
The unit takes 7 wounds. 6 of these are applied to Save A, 1 is applied to Save B

So minority save still get used, but only when there are more wounds than majority save models.

But this applies only to *armour* saves. Models with the same armour save but different invul saves have their saves distributed however the owner likes, so long as the rules about distributing wounds are followed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts