Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, so i've been working up some ideas for background for my diy space marine chapter, so i figured i'd post it up here.

-note: very basic at the moment, just a bare outline for now...

the storm guard were originally members of the iron warriors legion. as the heresy broke out, the storm guard did not yet exist in any coherent form-they were simply members of the iron warriors who remained loyal to the imperium.

during the purgation of the loyalist elements of the traitor legions at istvaan iii, a group of iron warriors still loyal to the emperor took advantage of the confusion, comandeering a ship and breaking out of the traitor fleet. they quickly set course through the warp for terra in order to warn the imperium of the treachery of their bretheren.

en route to terra, the ship was caught in one of the strange currents prevelant in the immeterium. when the ship finally emerged, over 9,000 years had passed. the naval vessels in orbit around terra nearly blew the ship out of space, but hesitated due to the urgent signal being beamed out.

after ascertaining the loyalty of the survivors, the inquisition proclaimed the marines fit for duty. they were allowed to form their own chapter. after much meditation, a chapter master was unanimously declared [name to follow]. after the chapter was organised under his command, they were detailed to a 250 year crusade as penance for their late arrival (though also to give the newly minted chapter some field experience before they were let loose on the galaxy).

because of their origin, the storm guard were not yet entirely trusted. thus, they would not undergo their crusade alone. the 42nd Cadian, a mainline guard regiment, was detailed to support the marines. inquisitor tiberius of the ordo hereticus was also assigned to the expedition. such were the unique pressures of the situation that the three factions would develope a close relationship, and would undertake the majority of their operations together up to the present day.

the storm guard honed their innate tendency toward seige warfare during the crusade, becoming experts at both the construction and destruction of fortifications. however, all resemblance to their traitorous bretheren (save appearance) ends there. they take a more balanced, tactical aproach to siegecraft than the iron warriors, refusing to be overcome by the bloodlust that motivates the traitors.

the symbol of the storm guard is a lightning bolt on a field of black (the black represents remorse for their time in the warp, as well as a vow to bring their former brothers to justice). any robes worn by the veteren brothers are traditionally red, representative of the close bond between the chapter and the mechanicus (upon whom the chapter relies for the tools of siegecraft). additionally, the veterans often wear the pelts of predators killed by their own hand, partially as trophies but also to further distinguish themselves from the plain metallic armor of the iron warriors.

i figured the story would let me work in the guard army i'm collecting concurrent to my marines, as well as an inquisitor i've got in the works. additionally, the emphasis on siege warfare gives me an excuse to base my armies with a cityfight theme, which i always liked the look of.

well, that's enough babbling from me for now...what do y'all think? c&c not only welcomed, but DEMANDED...:biggrin:

·
Registered
272 Posts
sounds good i started a similar one with that of the Sons of Horus and the Death Guard. i might post that story at a later date ..

but anyway the first bit sounds a bit Flight of the Eisenstein but thats cool.

cant wait to read the first draft so get on with it. lol:eek:k:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts